Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX Matrix Screen

mcompanik

I am trying to do 2 matrix screens with 32 pixels high by 53 pixels wide each. I am using HolidayCoro's Alphapix 16 as a controller. Output 1-8 will control the left matrix, and 9-16 will control the right. Both screens will be identical as to what is displayed on them. Each output controls 212 pixels. My question is with the setup. I will have to use Unicast because I am running another Alphapix for a Megatree. I understand that I will need to setup at least 20 universes for the number of channels I will need. Is there a way to setup the software (either xLights or LOR) to let it know that there are 212 pixels per output and that the pixels go up then down etc. (I would like to put the pixels vertical because I can take the panels apart after the season for storage) and then output 2 starts at pixel 213-425, output 3 426-638 etc. Or do I have to just bite the bullet and go horizontally and have the outputs every 4 rows?

4 hours ago, mcompanik said:

I will have to use Unicast because I am running another Alphapix for a Megatree.

I highly recommend that you use Unicast, but just because you have multiple E1.31 controllers does not force the issue.

4 hours ago, mcompanik said:

Is there a way to setup the software (either xLights or LOR) to let it know that there are 212 pixels per output and that the pixels go up then down etc. (I would like to put the pixels vertical because I can take the panels apart after the season for storage) and then output 2 starts at pixel 213-425, output 3 426-638 etc.

You generally set that up in the controller, not the LOR software.  I don't know the AlphaPix controller, but most E1.31 controllers allow setup of what's called Zig-zag.  Check out the manual for the AlphaPix to see how Zig-Zag is set up in that controller.  Presumably if the AlphaPix controller will let you put 212 pixels per output, it obviously will allow more than one universe per output.  What I don't know is if it will let you have the same universe on multiple outputs - i.e. Universe 1 and part of 2 on output #1, then the rest of Universe 2 and part of Universe 3 on output #2, etc.  It may be a lot easier for you (if the AlphaPix will allow this) to use two universes per output which would have for example all of Universe 1 and 42 pixels of Universe 2 on output #1, then all of Universe 3 and 42 pixels of Universe 4 on output #2, etc  That way each physical string starts on pixel 1 of an odd universe (continuing the example I was giving).

A lot of this depends on what the AlphaPix allows or requires.

Edited by k6ccc

• The topic was locked