Light-O-Rama Forums

Soon to be New User

Light_addiction

Well I just took advantage of the Summer Sale and picked up the TSO ShowTime Central Starter Package.  I cannot wait to get it in and start trying it out.

Now since I got the starter package, is there any experienced people out there that can tell me if there is anything in addition to the package that I will need.

Thanks and can't wait to show off my display.

Lots of extension cords. :D  And patience.

Welcome to the madness!!

Edited by 75redman

7 minutes ago, Light_addiction said:

Well I just took advantage of the Summer Sale and picked up the TSO ShowTime Central Starter Package.  I cannot wait to get it in and start trying it out.

Now since I got the starter package, is there any experienced people out there that can tell me if there is anything in addition to the package that I will need.

Thanks and can't wait to show off my display.

Like I posted on the other thread:

Congrats! Great way to start.

Get stumped? Come to the forums. Some great people here will want to help you. 

For starters - you're kinda getting a late start for this year. You don't have to wait for your controllers to ship to start getting familiar with the software. Also, start planning out exactly how you want your channel line-up in your yard to be now. Then, start your setup earlier than you want to go "live". That way you're not freaking out at the last minute if something goes haywire. 

Lastly, as it gets closer to Halloween and especially Christmas - be more patient with wanting replies as we're all setting up our shows too.

Good luck.

Welcome to the madness.

Figure out how you're going to lay out those 16 channels.

Edited by Santas Helper

1 hour ago, 75redman said:

Lots of extension cords. :D  And patience.

Welcome to the madness!!

I have been stock piling extension cords for a little time now.  I'll buy one every week when I go to the store.

1 hour ago, Mega Arch said:

Like I posted on the other thread:

Congrats! Great way to start.

Get stumped? Come to the forums. Some great people here will want to help you. 

For starters - you're kinda getting a late start for this year. You don't have to wait for your controllers to ship to start getting familiar with the software. Also, start planning out exactly how you want your channel line-up in your yard to be now. Then, start your setup earlier than you want to go "live". That way you're not freaking out at the last minute if something goes haywire. 

Lastly, as it gets closer to Halloween and especially Christmas - be more patient with wanting replies as we're all setting up our shows too.

Good luck.

Thank you very much.  How can I get familiar with the software without the program?

I have been researching LOR for a few years now and already have the channels lined up.  I always start putting up my display the day after Halloween.  I currently have a static display with 35,000 lights.

46 minutes ago, Santas Helper said:

Welcome to the madness.

Figure out how you're going to lay out those 16 channels.

Thank you and I have already been doing that.  I have been planning for this for a few years.

20 minutes ago, Light_addiction said:

Thank you very much.  How can I get familiar with the software without the program?......

As Mr. P said....

9 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

You can download the software, install it and start getting familiar with it now.

http://www1.lightorama.com/sequencing-software-download/

The starter packages are pretty much plug and play. Just ensure when you receive them you follow the instructions step by step. I know its hard to resist the temptation of just plugging them in but there are things you must do first.

You will want Audacity and the LAME add on. They are both free.

Don't forget strings of lights

Or you can just get a set of singing trees, pumpkins or monster faces and be done with everything else until the next sale. LOL

Welcome 

JR

Edited by dibblejr

33 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

The starter packages are pretty much plug and play. Just ensure when you receive them you follow the instructions step by step. I know its hard to resist the temptation of just plugging them in but there are things you must do first.

You will want Audacity and the LAME add on. They are both free.

Don't forget strings of lights

Or you can just get a set of singing trees, pumpkins or monster faces and be done with everything else until the next sale. LOL

Welcome 

JR

Thanks for the helpful tips. 

I bought quite a few strings of lights last year at the after Christmas sales in stores in anticipation of getting my first LOR. 

If you disreguard every other tip here is the most impotant tip,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,BACKUP!!!!!!!!

Backup everything you do and keep copies in at least three different places (not on your computer). It makes no sense to work for days or even weeks creating one sequence just to have it lost because your computer crashes or something. BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP.

Did I mention Backup?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

If you disreguard every other tip here is the most impotant tip,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,BACKUP!!!!!!!!

Backup everything you do and keep copies in at least three different places (not on your computer). It makes no sense to work for days or even weeks creating one sequence just to have it lost because your computer crashes or something. BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP.

Did I mention Backup?

So I should backup you say? Lol. I remember reading that somewhere. 

1 minute ago, Light_addiction said:

So I should backup you say? Lol. I remember reading that somewhere. 

May have been one of my other posts if it said:

BACKUP!!!

2 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

BACKUP!!!

I will definitely make sure to. 

2 hours ago, Mr. P said:

BACKUP!!!

In case you didn't get it, see this post:

I wont add to the backup statements.

I will say that if you ever need advice or assistance those that posted here above me are all some top notch members that will go out of their way to help you. All you have to do is ask.

JR

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

In case you didn't get it, see this post:

2 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

I wont add to the backup statements.

I will say that if you ever need advice or assistance those that posted here above me are all some top notch members that will go out of their way to help you. All you have to do is ask.

JR

I appreciate all the help. 

I am currently having a problem. Downloaded the software and got this message when I tried to open it, "Error reading setup initialization file"

12 minutes ago, Light_addiction said:

I appreciate all the help. 

I am currently having a problem. Downloaded the software and got this message when I tried to open it, "Error reading setup initialization file"

Remove and download again. Abnormal or incomplete download.

Also what version did you purchase?

JR

Edited by dibblejr