Light-O-Rama Forums

Program, Setup, Suggestions and More

Morendo1975

Greetings all! I am so thankful for this forum and the information it provides.  I'm looking for some direction and assistance in expanding my display.  Last year I used 3- 16 Channel LOR Controllers.  For my first show, I was pretty pleased (see my You Tube channel below).  I purchased 3 of the Cosmic Color Bulbs during the sale this year and am looking to purchase some of the Cosmic Ribbon (8 Pack Dumb).  So my questions are:

I currently have the Basic Level of LOR Software.  Should I purchase the Super Star Sequencer?  And if so how many CCR's?  I know I will need 3 for my CCB's, but will I need one CCR for each Dumb RGB Ribbon?

Second question (two parts).  If I buy the Cosmic Ribbon Pack are you able to trim them down?  If I only need 8 feet of ribbon, but they come in 16 ft can you "cut" them.  The second part of the question is what have people used to attach them to the roof?  My hope is line my roof/eves with these ribbons.

Again, thank you to all who take the time to answer.  I'm looking forward to passing on my knowledge in the future

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWo2tz5vIPdZnaYUM-U1l6w

8 hours ago, Morendo1975 said:

I currently have the Basic Level of LOR Software.  Should I purchase the Super Star Sequencer? YES ! And if so how many CCR's? Start with 8 (you will likely grow from that)  I know I will need 3 for my CCB's, but will I need one CCR for each Dumb RGB Ribbon? Each dumb strip will only use the equivalent of 1 pixel (3 channels),  8 strips would be 24 channels and 16 strips would be 48 channels (CCR's are 150 channels).

Second question (two parts).  If I buy the Cosmic Ribbon Pack are you able to trim them down? Yes But .. you will loose the warranty and waterproofing becomes an issue.  If I only need 8 feet of ribbon, but they come in 16 ft can you "cut" them.  The second part of the question is what have people used to attach them to the roof?  My hope is line my roof/eves with these ribbons.  One of the most often used is zip tie to pvc (be careful not to tight)  Ribbons ARE fragile and need to be handled with care.

Again, thank you to all who take the time to answer.  I'm looking forward to passing on my knowledge in the future

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWo2tz5vIPdZnaYUM-U1l6w

Not to detract from your OP, but if you have the means, there is Christmas Expo next week in Chicago. LOR will be there on hand to get questions answered, as well as a curriculum that supports LOR/RGB etc... This is a great conference and it is not too far from you this year.

Depending on where you are going with RGB, the Pixel Editor in S4 Pro may be the way to go instead of Super Star.

With the S4 Pro, will I need to purchase additional CCR's for each Bulb set and the ribbons?

Here is a comparison of the licenses:

http://www1.lightorama.com/sequencing-suite-software/

S4 Pro gets you the Pixel Editor basic and the platform to grow on. 

SuperStar is only an add on to any LOR license, and allows you to leverage your CC(x):

http://www1.lightorama.com/superstar-add-on/

So part of what you need to determine, is what do you want to accomplish? Superstar may not be necessary, as it is for the most part a auto sequence generator. There are many ways to go with RGB.  

Using LORs CC(x) products will give you a controller, plus 2 CC(x) strings. Being Pixels, Bulbs or Ribbon. This give you intelligent control. How you actually program these, is what is important. 

If all you want to do is control color on a string, as you indicate the dumb pixels. This would need just a DC controller and some dumb RGB elements. You could get away with a lesser LOR license.

I always recommend going with a minimum of Advanced and if you can afford it, Pro, just for the growth potential and options it provides. 

• Like 1

• The topic was locked