Light-O-Rama Forums

HDPE Pipe

Ralph A

I have been using Pex tubing on my arches for the last several years. Think I'm gonna try HDPE.  Thing is no one in Lubbock sales 2 inch HDPE pipe.  Anyone know a good place to buy on line?

Ralph

Like Santa's Helper I too got mine from McMaster-Carr, I got lucky when the young lady mis quoted the shipping, should have been $58 shipping so when I called and said hey what is with the shipping difference from the quote they made it right and I got free shipping. Great but now I want more and will have to pay shipping. I have looked but can't find any other supplier, so order all you think you will need and save on shipping LOL. $58 shipping for 2 of my 10 foot pieces or $65 for shipping 96 feet for Santa's Helper. Get all you will ever need.

Keith

• Like 1

I also bought a 100 ft  HDPE  from McMaster Carr  picked it up 5 miles from my house.also Christmas Expo will be about ten miles from my house this year .

Edited by Dennis Laff
Added info

Christmas Expo??  I havent heard of one in the S. Ca. area..

Edited by Old Sarge

Got mine from McMaster Carr. It ships via semi-truck so coordinate carefully. Also, shipping is pretty costly. The tubes ship naked with no packaging, just taped together. The tubing is awesome, looks great when ribbon pixels inserted!

13 hours ago, Old Sarge said:

Unless they have it hidden on their site, none of these sites showed the Semi-Clear, White piping we use for the arches. The black pipe would not be translucent.

I could have overlooked it, I'm sure.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the great information and the post!!  I assume you all use the  Semi-Clear 2" pipe.

Thanks again!!

3 hours ago, aesl1982 said:

Has anyone tried using bullet bodes with the hdpe vs the strips

I tried it with flat nodes in pixel strips from Boscoyo Studios. It looked OK, but the WOW!, was just not there, not like the strips. Lots of hot spots. I even used the 30 LEDs/meter instead of the 60. I thought they blended in very well with my existing props. I believe the 60 LEDs/meter may have been a bit overpowering to the rest of the display.

My videos were shot with a mediocre camera, so don't judge the arches by that. I'm hoping the Phantom 3 will clean the videos up this year. If it doesn't, I spent $500 for a toy. A fun toy, but still a toy. If the videos turn out good this year, well, I bought an awesome camera and got a toy too.:P

Edited by Ron Boyd

1 hour ago, Ron Boyd said:

I tried it with flat nodes in pixel strips from Boscoyo Studios. It looked OK, but the WOW!, was just not there, not like the strips. Lots of hot spots. I even used the 30 LEDs/meter instead of the 60. I thought they blended in very well with my existing props. I believe the 60 LEDs/meter may have been a bit overpowering to the rest of the display.

My videos were shot with a mediocre camera, so don't judge the arches by that. I'm hoping the Phantom 3 will clean the videos up this year. If it doesn't, I spent $500 for a toy. A fun toy, but still a toy. If the videos turn out good this year, well, I bought an awesome camera and got a toy too.:P

don't tell me that lol. I put 60/60's in my new arches. My old arches were the highlight of my display maybe with the 60's being overpowering it will add that much more of a wow factor.

18 hours ago, Old Sarge said:

Christmas Expo??  I havent heard of one in the S. Ca. area..

I just ordered pixel strip connectors from Matt Johnson for my HDPE arches he is starting to sell parts to make his arches and other products he shows on his website .

44 minutes ago, Dennis Laff said:

I just ordered pixel strip connectors from Matt Johnson for my HDPE arches he is starting to sell parts to make his arches and other products he shows on his website .

What is the website you ordered from? I followed his video to the letter.

4 hours ago, Ralph A said:

Thanks everyone for the great information and the post!!  I assume you all use the  Semi-Clear 2" pipe.

Thanks again!!

Speaking for myself and probably a few others, Yes. Semi-clear 2". It's a nice robust size.

25 minutes ago, dan24438 said:

What is the website you ordered from? I followed his video to the letter.

his website for parts is not up yet  just contact him on the Johnson family light show at the button of page there is contact info

has anyone used lor ccps for this project and do you think its feasible . I picked up two sets to get my feet wet in rgb and looking for something to do with them

1 hour ago, kingfish said:

has anyone used lor ccps for this project and do you think its feasible . I picked up two sets to get my feet wet in rgb and looking for something to do with them

I built my arches using 3/4 inch PEX from Home Depot with CCP pixels spaced every 2 inches.  I was quite happy with the result.  Pics and description on construction at:  http://newburghlights.org/CCP_Arches.html

Video that includes the arches:  http://newburghlights.org/Videos.html  (The arches are not used a lot in this song and don't start until about 40 seconds in, but show what they look like).

Here is a video from Matt Johnson. He explains what he did and what he used. It also shows the part numbers.