Light-O-Rama Forums

YouTube vs Vimeo

Archer

Several answers to questions in all of the above and a few of my own.

YouTube pays you?....really!!! How many views does it take to get paid and at what rate?....interesting. Vimeo has an option that you can get paid, not sure how it works but I know Vimeo get a cut. You have to set up an account and jump through some hoops but it's possible. I have never had a video I was watching on Vimeo pause, they have always played from start to finish. What kind of stats does YouTube keep? I stopped using them because of them dropping me first.

I'm interested in the first part of this post...YouTube pays you? And of course the follow-up question....can anybody answer?

Google Adsense. Youtube is owned by Google.

You get paid on minutes watched.

If someone clicks a link/banner in your video that gets you 1 cent.

I see about 100.00 per month from my videos.

You stated that YOU made 100.00 a month from your YouTube. I wanted to see what you make money on...

Archer   its seems you are getting ItsMeBobO mixed up with MikeERWNC.   

I think this is the link which was posted.  This will get you to MikeERWNC channel 

https://w ww.youtube.com/watch?v=dq9MG1TF7Ys

Edited by ItsMeBobO

MikeERWNC is correct about the music thing.

So many people on here think that if you purchase the music on a CD from a shop, or from iTunes, they "legally" purchased the music. This is completely incorrect.

You own the music for your own private listening.

Infact over here, it is illegal to play music in public. All public buildings have to have a licence. They pay annually and for some music you pay extra for each song each time it is played.

It is super illegal for my to broadcast music on FM, but I will probably do it anyway.

YouTube now has a list of songs which you can include in videos, and even monetize them. And this list includes many, many new pop songs. If they are on this list, YouTube doesn't remove them. It adds advertisements to the video and that money goes to the copyright owner of that song.

If your video is monetized and contains a video on that list, you must prove that you added something to the music or had a reason to include it, and then money is split between you and the record company.

The list is mainly pop songs. You won't find any Trans-Siberian Orchestra on there or much Christmas music.

MikeERWC is wrong about being paid on minutes watched.

Minutes watched is what YouTube uses to see which video is "good", as well as other things, in a huge secret algorithm with millions of lines of code. They don't use views anymore because people were putting thumbnails and titles that would bring hundreds of people in, and then they get a black screen or some boring other video.

You get money for every advert viewed and clicked on. Around 1 cent for a click and a tiny bit for just a view and if they wait and don't click skip ad, you get a little more than if they did. 

How much each advert brings does change. It depends on what advertisers are paying. What type of videos you do affects which advertisers want the advertising space, and how much these companies want to pay.

$100 a month must be around 10,000 views a month. That is very good. If I had that much money a month my display would be so much bigger.

My YouTube is: RideWNC

I have made the most money from Dell PERC and GSXR.

Personally I don't care how they calculate it. 

I would love to find how to make a video go viral.

Most of my stuff is motorcycle related, winter months are always slower for me.

adsense.jpg

Edited by MikeERWNC

There is no way to make a video go viral.

Normally, viral videos are not uploaded by people who earn money from YouTube (YouTube partners).

They are just at the right place at the right time with a camera or phone and they see something funny or amazing. Often after it has got some views a company such as FullScreen contact them and they become partners through a third party company who take a percentage of revenue in return for handling copyright claims, promoting your account and stuff.

Queue Orville on topic of Fair use.

This is what I post on EVERY video I submit to Vimeo.  It is ALWAYS the first line in the video description:

DISCLAIMER: "I do not own the music and am using it under the "Fair Use" portion of the U.S. Copyright Law."

I have NEVER, not once, had any of my videos removed by Vimeo using this statement as the first line in my uploaded videos.   However, I CAN NOT say the same for YouTube, even with that disclaimer, seems YouTube and those that control it don't believe in the "Fair Use" aspect, as I have had many video stripped and blocked of their music only on YouTube.    And is why I most often use Vimeo.   If my camera hadn't got broken last year, I'd have had new videos for Halloween 2014 and 2015, as well as Christmas 2014 and 2015 posted.   But currently no camera to make videos.

But anyway, on Vimeo I have always used the above disclaimer statement, and all my past videos are still there untouched. 

And you can see all my former videos here on Vimeo:https://vimeo.com/groups/109696

Edited by Orville

This is what I post on EVERY video I submit to Vimeo.  It is ALWAYS the first line in the video description:

DISCLAIMER: "I do not own the music and am using it under the "Fair Use" portion of the U.S. Copyright Law."

I have NEVER, not once, had any of my videos removed by Vimeo using this statement as the first line in my uploaded videos.   However, I CAN NOT say the same for YouTube, even with that disclaimer, seems YouTube and those that control it don't believe in the "Fair Use" aspect, as I have had many video stripped and blocked of their music only on YouTube.    And is why I most often use Vimeo.   If my camera hadn't got broken last year, I'd have had new videos for Halloween 2014 and 2015, as well as Christmas 2014 and 2015 posted.   But currently no camera to make videos.

But anyway, on Vimeo I have always used the above disclaimer statement, and all my past videos are still there untouched. 

And you can see all my former videos here on Vimeo:https://vimeo.com/groups/109696

This is because Vimeo doesn't have an automatic copyright material detecting system. If you had not included that line, the videos would not be removed.

If a company wants to remove something from Vimeo, then the record company has to ask Vimeo, who will then send you a message or remove the video manually.

YouTube looks for copyright material automatically. When a video gets removed, you can dispute it. If you add the line about fair use in the dispute message, which is read by a person, not a computer, you may be able to make it public again.

I use your disclaimer on mine but Vimeo started blocking anyway. I fought the battle with them only to get denied anyway. Its like they think I'm earning money on someone else's music, which I'm certainly not. Youtube this year, blocked a couple of mine but allowed others through saying they were able to verify 3rd party content and the ones that were blocked, did not state that. I'm thinking there's a digital signature embedded within the music stream that they search for and if not there, they automatically block it.

This is because Vimeo doesn't have an automatic copyright material detecting system. If you had not included that line, the videos would not be removed.

If a company wants to remove something from Vimeo, then the record company has to ask Vimeo, who will then send you a message or remove the video manually.

YouTube looks for copyright material automatically. When a video gets removed, you can dispute it. If you add the line about fair use in the dispute message, which is read by a person, not a computer, you may be able to make it public again.

Don't know about the detection stuff, but BEFORE I started adding that disclaimer I posted, Vimeo did remove 3 or 4 of my videos, I re-uploaded them, added that disclaimer and that seemed to satisfy someone or something that checks the videos on Vimeo.    But prior to using that disclaimer, I did have a few videos removed, again, re-uploaded the same exact videos that had been removed, added the disclaimer and no further issues.

Just know I've had zero issues with videos being removed since I added the fair use disclaimer.   Others experiences and mileage may differ with it.

BTW, I would NOT suggest monetizing your videos on youtube even if you do get alot of hits.  My Halloween video, for whatever reason, got shared a ton this year and youtube kept sending me partner request messages and messages about getting paid for uploads.  IMO, this is a VERY bad idea if you're using other artist's music as it essentially destroys any "Fair use" argument you make.

Also, before I sequence a particular song, I actually copy the MP3 version and upload it.  That way, you know if the video will likely be blocked or not.

There is no way to make a video go viral.

Normally, viral videos are not uploaded by people who earn money from YouTube (YouTube partners).

They are just at the right place at the right time with a camera or phone and they see something funny or amazing. Often after it has got some views a company such as FullScreen contact them and they become partners through a third party company who take a percentage of revenue in return for handling copyright claims, promoting your account and stuff.

Well I disagree with that.  You can get a TON of hits by simply theming your display to something in pop culture that is trending.  Example would of course be all the shows that have gone viral with talking faces to pop songs.  My video went SORT of viral this year and I'm pretty sure its because the theme was Five Nights at Freddy's.  My kids ADORE these games and a bunch of other kids do as well.  The 8-14 year old kid is your big youtube watcher.  Theme your display around that demographic and going viral is actually pretty easy.

• The topic was locked