Light-O-Rama Forums

Water Logged CCR's....

jimswinder

Saw one of my CCR's had the "White LEDs Of Death" on part of it...checked it out and saw it was pretty filled with water and most of the leads were rusty (discolored). Noticed most of my CCR's on my ribbon tree were that way...so much for being "waterproof"...

Anyone else seeing this?

Edited by jimswinder

Not yet, but probably will now that I have bragged about it.  I have 16 CCRs running.

Edited by Andy Anderson

This was a concern of mine before purchasing my first CCRs next year. I saw in the latest news, LOR was redesigning CCRs to be IP-68 standard which supposedly makes them really water proof.

Interested to hear what others say...

I've noticed that the CCRs were a bit fragile. Also, just noticed that the power supply with the CCRs are labeled as indoor only.

The CCPs and CCBs seem to be built a bit sturdier, and better weatherproof.

My CCRs are 3 years old. I have 3, and they have been on the eaves the entire time. I even cut them from 50 to 46, used the included silicone to seal, and hung them.

They have not discolored or failed. Hope it stays that way.

They have endured snow, sleet, rain and shine including this months record breaking rain for the Portland area.

Tucked my ps and controllers in cable guard CG 500s. Fit nicely.

I've noticed that the CCRs were a bit fragile. Also, just noticed that the power supply with the CCRs are labeled as indoor only.

The CCPs and CCBs seem to be built a bit sturdier, and better weatherproof.

You put your CCR power supplies outdoors unprotected?!

This year, I'm using LPD6803's which "appear" to be identical to a CCR. I've been fighting with them like crazy after water got in. Its critical that the tops or upper ends where any water source might find its way in, is properly sealed with silicone. Even if its just twisted wires going through the seal, remember that water can get in, between the wire twists and get into the strip. Any holes, cuts/slices anywhere along the silicone tube, water will get in. Once its in there, pull it out of your display and blow air through it for a while to dry it out, re-seal the openings then try again and pray it works. Not speaking for LOR's CCR's rather the strips purchased elsewhere, the solder connections are very, very sensitive to any movement. Make sure you gently strain-relief the wires so that they don't move. The strip itself isn't too sensitive within reason but those soldered connections certainly are.

I found one of the 12 ribbons i have that had moisture in one, sent a ticket into LOR, returned the ribbon, and they sent me a new ribbon.

You put your CCR power supplies outdoors unprotected?!

I put my CCR controller in a freezer bag. I'm just saying based on the power supply used, these were not designed to be outdoor lights.

I put my CCR controller in a freezer bag. I'm just saying based on the power supply used, these were not designed to be outdoor lights.

Thats not a true statement...the ribbons ARE designed for outdoor use...the power supply should be put in a weather-tight enclosure...

Per the LOR Website:

The Cosmic Color Ribbon has 150 super bright RGB LEDs spaced evenly along one side of a 197” flexible circuit board and is made weatherproof by sealing it in a rectangular UV resistant silicone tube.

The Cosmic Color Ribbon CR150D controller is enclosed in an aluminum box.  The separate 12 VDC power supply is universal voltage capable.  These two components must be housed in a weatherproof box for outside use.

Edited by jimswinder

Thats not a true statement...the ribbons ARE designed for outdoor use...the power supply should be put in a weather-tight enclosure...

If I were selling a device made for outside, I would not sell it with a power supply warning that it was for indoor use only. The whole design is either designed to be outside or not.

I see above where you quoted the website, saying the power supply needed to be put into a weather proof container. I guess that solves it.

Edited by christmascrossing

• The topic was locked