Light-O-Rama Forums

Force a CLEAN install S4

LightHouse_Papa

Hi

Okay - had a problem so - uninstalled S4.  deleted all references, files and folders leftover from the uninstall.  I am almost ready to wipe the registry (restore the backup prior to S4 install). 

reinstalled S4 - now it complains about the folders it can't find because it didn't check to see if they were there and recreate them.  And that would have been WRONG - obviously there is allot of junk LOR S4 left in the registry after the uninstall - HEY - clean up after yourself!  including the old initial file paths.  Says allot for the uninstall.

I personally feel all programs that install themselves should force a registry backup first to restore things after or when something catastrophic goes wrong.  This gives the user the option to examine and determine how many programs are going to require a REINSTALL based on DATE.  Pretty simple but then it is not idiot proof.

How do I force S4 to re-install and act like it was the first time?   My serial number is obviously stored in the registry b/c it didn't ask for it.

I have already checked around and inquired through a DOS window "LOR /?" - NOTHING helpful there.

In reality - I intend to move the "LOR S4" created folders to another drive on this machine  I would prefer using my Win2k3 server so the 'SHOW' machine can have access without the bullcrap. -  that was the reason for changing everything around.

I don't use cloud crap - sure, give the planet access to MY files?  I think not.  there is enough "BIG BROTHER" snooping - I don't care for me but it is still the principle - it is mine and it is private.  

I maintain a internet free network for several servers and workstations - I want to use that.

Now what do I have to do so I can I fix this.

Happy Holidays!

Hey Jim,

nope - no luck there.  So I might just have to do it all manually - that is another degree of aggrivation.  S4 has not been nice to use.

Thanks.

Put your sequence and audio files on your server. Map the folder to,say L, using subst if necessary, and run Lorpost.exe to tell LOR where your files are. Keep the same basic folder structure relative to the LOR paths and you should be good to go. Might possibly need to re link the media files but probably not.

Hey Jim,

nope - no luck there.  So I might just have to do it all manually - that is another degree of aggrivation.  S4 has not been nice to use.

Thanks.

No luck there, how? What didn't work? What wasn't removed?

Where did you download the RegWipe from?

Hi Jim,

Been busy @ home - friends and family - I now have a chance to watch Green Bay Packer game (I live about 30 minutes away from Lambeau).

anyhow - looked for 'LOR registry wipe' - then - well, U know - holiday tasks ;)

I can manually enter all the different folders in preferences - however I feel the reinstall should have noticed the missing folders.  I could dig around the registry and find them - shouldn't take me too long to find the keys and adjust it.

I am NEW to S4 so I didn't consider I'd need the original folder structure.  That is my biggest problem.  I can extrapolate the folders from the registry along with changing the drive assignments.  No worries.  It is something I feel I shouldn't have to do - it should have been automatic.

I suppose a BUG report should be turned in.  :wacko:

I'll get to that after I finish building all the new display arches ... the missus thinks I am nuts - but she LOVES the effects!  Eh, women!  :D

Thanks for the assist!

Happy Holidays!

Put your sequence and audio files on your server. Map the folder to,say L, using subst if necessary, and run Lorpost.exe to tell LOR where your files are. Keep the same basic folder structure relative to the LOR paths and you should be good to go. Might possibly need to re link the media files but probably not.

Hi Phil,  can I assume this program is in the 'LOR' folder somewhere?  I can find it easily - no worries there.  If it can help me rebuild the directories ... very cool.

This would be what could save me a bit of time - and let the server handle the rest :D

Thanks,

Happy Holidays!

No rebuilding required. Go to c:\programs\lite-o-rama\lorpost.exe and run it.(Might be x86)

Tell it where your folders are. Done.

You might need to re associate the audio in sequence editor.

S4 is no different to S3 in most behavior.

Poking around the registry is however a really good way to break things.

No rebuilding required. Go to c:\programs\lite-o-rama\lorpost.exe and run it.(Might be x86)

Tell it where your folders are. Done.

You might need to re associate the audio in sequence editor.

S4 is no different to S3 in most behavior.

Poking around the registry is however a really good way to break things.

Hey Phil,

Ahhhh - sounds like a good approach.  I'll give that a shot and see how it all works out.  Perfect!  Exactly what I needed  :D

Registry?  Bluntly: only an idiot starts poking around in the registry before backing it up. 

If you know what you are looking for, the registry editor is not that hard to use.  It is amazing how much you have to add by hand to get some stuff working properly!  Microsoft documents many of these "NEW KEYS" - Eh, go figure.

However - I've been using computers since 1974.  Before DOS and the PC.  No worries - I've been digging around in registries since Win'95 started that crap.  I still have working copies of Windows for Workgroups (on the 386) and the original Windows 1.0 on 5.25" floppies (saved to DVD and tape backup).   You only see the 8" floppy in a museum these days.  I still have an original IBM PC 360k full height floppy drive.  I show the grand kids stuff they'll never use - and yes, it all works.  :)

Thanks again for the help!

Edited by LightHouse_Papa