Light-O-Rama Forums

Shortening cat 5 cable

seriouslylosingit

Cheapest way to shorten Cat 5 cable is via soldering, zero money spent out of pocket...

I wish I, too, had source for free solder.

But with that said, I still don't understand why a person would even try to solder cat5 cable. In less time than it takes an iron to heat up you can have the excess cable gathered and zip-tied out of the way and be well into your next project.

I wish I, too, had source for free solder.

But with that said, I still don't understand why a person would even try to solder cat5 cable. In less time than it takes an iron to heat up you can have the excess cable gathered and zip-tied out of the way and be well into your next project.

it would be easier to crimp a new end versus soldering. BUT some people may not be comfortable with that or have the eye sight to line up all the wires to go in to the connector. Learning to make your own cables isn't that hard and there's a lot of videos to help. And a lot of problems can be avoided in this hobby with a simple cat5 tester which you can get on Amazon pretty cheap. Go with your comfort level

George, I was only saying ONE of the ways was to solder.  Zip tying would, of course, be easiest.  Some people freak out about having cables that aren't exactly cut to length (BTW, I'm not one of those...  ;))  With that all said, Max Paul's response on here was pretty weird.  What a strange thing to get upset about...  I think he lives near me as well....

Max doesn't need me to defend him, but he usually means well.

Sometimes it's easy for one of us "old timers" to get frustrated this time of year. With the "standard" duplicate questions of the season, the lack of time for many/most of us, and all the sequence-sharing threads clogging the new content search, it's hard to relax and find/follow threads from those with genuine hardware or software issues.

I know that he and others mean well but being condescending is counterproductive. These people are asking questions because they simply don't know and want to learn. I'm one of the top pilots and flight instructors in my area for RC aircraft. And I learned a long time ago people learn a lot faster when you're not talking down to them and you allow them to get hands on with things. I end up answering the same questions many times over and I've just learned better ways of answering.

• Like 1