Light-O-Rama Forums

Feature Change Request - DMX Values in Sequence Editor

JHolmes

Hello!

I couldn't figure out where to submit this so I figure here works :). I've been working with LOR and chatting with fellow programmers who use DMX fixtures such as intels and fog machines, etc etc.

I love that LOR supports DMX values but is there any way to change how they appear graphically in the editor? Sometimes we are working with values as low as 4 or 9 and other times the changes between values are only a few digits from each-other, which make a huge difference to the machines but don't show up on the editor.

My thought is that instead of showing the fading blue-scale for DMX values, perhaps we could see the actual value in each timestamp segment (or something like that)

What are your thoughts?

Its not just the viewing.. its also the setting of values for non-rgb uses.    Wishes were made to fix this in 2010.     Yes its useless to have a hair line or faint color when you need to know the value and not have to hover over each cell.        What we have now with Saved tools is better than the old throwback settings panel.   But still inadequate for the job.

Inten.jpg

Wrote this as an example demo in 2010    http://itsmebob.com/Christmas/2010/Intensity.exe

The point is to have a 'profile' for the intensities needed to control that particular DMX device.  Then it would be nice to see the words in row since that row is always 100% dedicated to that function of that device.

Intensity.jpgIntensityStandard.jpgIntensityTwinkle.jpg

Edited by ItsMeBobO

My thought is that instead of showing the fading blue-scale for DMX values, perhaps we could see the actual value in each timestamp segment (or something like that)

What are your thoughts?

How do you expect to make a numeric value display fit in each cell?  With each timing mark less than 1/8 inch wide (unless you zoom WAY in), there is no way you could make something readable in each cell.  Or am I missing the point that you're trying to make?

On a related note, It would be nice to have the ability to save the " saved tools panel " to a file. It's very annoying to have laboriously created lots of saved tools only to have them periodically disappear after a SE crash or re-install.

You can restore them using a previously saved registry export but you shouldn't have to mess with the registry.

I'll suggest something to the big man and see if we can get something on the list. It won't make it for this year however.

I really appreciate how much you care about the user experience. Thank you for listening :)

k6CCC, I agree that in some cases seeing the numbers on every frame may not be practical. My hope is for a solution in which we can see the numbers at a glance at all on the main page without constantly needing to hover our mouse over the area. Unlike the pixel editor, which shows you a white or grey area whenever there is data listed, the sequence editor shows a different shade of blue depending on the value of the DMX data. In some cases, myself and others are literally selecting values of 4, 9, 16, 42 (etc) which show up as nearly (if not completely) invisible on the screen. They make a huge difference in the show itself (as our fog, snow, and other machines are receptive) but it makes sequencing and tweaking those elements difficult.

I hope I was able to clarify better! I would love to hear everyone else's experiences as well. THANK YOU DevTeam for even putting in a customizable DMX toolkit for us in the first place :).

I understand the problem with the very low numbers.  With LEDs, some of my channels are really low as well.  I just don't see how your suggested solution is possible.

I really like the idea of some kind of solution. It is challenging checking for the "1" value on the CCR resolution channel #151.

One suggestion could be a choice of a display mode for any given channel. You could choose traditional or a variant for specific values.

One solution could be for each level of the intensity setting, there is a color associated. Imagine for the ten intensity values, you have ROYG(cyan)BIV and black and white. That's ten unique colors. Then for instance, if I made the first intensity setting at a "1" and that is the Red setting. I would see a red square in the sequencer everywhere it is a 1. And so on.

Another option might look like an X-RAY mode. Imagine turning on the X-ray mode and set it to "1". Then entire sequence would go black and white, and only cells with a 1 setting would be shown as white - otherwise off. That would be simple X-ray. Or extending that would be a multi color X-Ray. Turn it on and ten X-ray values would show up in the cells when present.

Just trying to add an idea to what many think is a needed feature for seeing unique values.

• The topic was locked