Light-O-Rama Forums

Need some adapter infomation.

Texan78

Ok I see everyone talking about the iDMX1000 but I can not find a information page for it. All I can find about DMX adapters is iDMX32. Are these the same things?

Also can someone tell me how these adapters work. I know that it connects to your DMX device via XLR like any normal DMX, but how do these adapters connect to the LOR network? I have been trying to find some information on them but I have had no luck on how these connect to LOR.

I am wanting to connect my Martin Pro Magnum Fogger and my Antari S 100 II Snow Machine to my LOR next season. What all do I need to connect these exactly and how do these adapter connect to the LOR network?

When you do connect it to LOR do they show up as a channel on on LOR software like a controller or what?

If anyone has any pictures of how these are connected that would be great too.

-Thanks

Thanks for the information, that clears up a lot. So basically they are just like another controller only in DMX format. So you would connect this adapter one of the controllers on the end of the chain correct?

Also are these the same price as the other one that is listed?

-Thanks

When you insert your iDMX into your chain of LOR controllers, it is recognized by the hardware utility as 16 separate controllers, each with 16 channels (giving you the current 256 dmx channels allowed, the upgrade to 512 dmx channels is coming next year). The default unit ID for the iDMX is E0, so when you are programming sequences in LOR - to use your dmx fixtures you just add a channel E0.1-E0.16 giving you access to the first 16/256 dmx channels. If your dmx fixture needs to be addressed at 17-32, you add channel E1.1-E1.16, and so on. You can change the iDMX unit ID to anything, but it is easiest (and maybe required?) to be the last unit ID of all units.

I have almost 200 dmx channels running with my show this year, tacked on to 20 LOR controllers. It took some coffee and I had to tell the kids to quit running around so I could keep all this straight :shock: but eventually made perfect sense and the addition of the DMX has been amazing. I ended up running out of time so I actually only used 120 of the dmx channels knowing I have so much more I could have done with the lights. We'll save some of the strobe or chases or extra pinpoint control of the more complex fixtures for next year :D

Good luck - I can't even imagine my show this year without some of the DMX stuff that has really added the "WOW! Holy c*ap WOW!" factor I'm getting from our community.

(and special thanks to Dan and a few of the developers for helping me sort out some of the DMX stuff at the beginning!!) I was a total Newbie to DMX this year and within 2 weeks had it fully intigrated with LOR and get to watch the faces of kids in awe now!

medman2000 wrote:

[snip] but it is easiest (and maybe required?) to be the last unit ID of all units. [snip]

It is easier to keep the iDMX1000 last in the list list but it can be anywhere in the list. You can also have multiple iDMX1000s in the network.

medman2000, what types of DMX devices are you using?

LightORamaDan wrote:

medman2000 wrote:
[snip] but it is easiest (and maybe required?) to be the last unit ID of all units. [snip]

It is easier to keep the iDMX1000 last in the list list but it can be anywhere in the list. You can also have multiple iDMX1000s in the network.

medman2000, what types of DMX devices are you using?

I'm using a chauvet colorvue III, 12 chauvet colorsplash 200b, and 4 of the chauvet colorado3 units. Didn't get into any of the moving yokes this year, maybe next year. But *really* really pleased with how well this all works with LOR, thanks Dan!

I keep my IDMX controller in my garage adjacent to my computer. Therefore it is the first controller on the chain of 20 controllers and it works perfectly.

I am using mine to control three snow machines and one dimmer pack for three blowers to help push the snow.

Works flawless and perfectly each night.

Mike

G'day Texan78,

Just to let you know that I also have an Antari S100 MK2, amongst a range of DMX devices here, and coupled with the iDMX1000 it performed flawlessly this Christmas season. In the case of the Antari, there is only 1 DMX channel, so I just set it to 100% whenever I wanted snow and it worked great.

Cheers,

davidt - Australia

Thanks for all the replies guy that has anwsered many questions. I have been using DMX lighting for many years just never on this kind of level with christmas lights. I don't know if I will add any kind of DMX controller lighting next season or just fog and snow machine. So in the LOR software does it give you options to fully control the DMX lighiting like color, gobos, x y movement, etc? How exactly does all that work?

medman2000...

Do you have any videos of your display? It sounds amazing and I would love to see how you integrated the DMX stuff into your display.

Greg

Ponddude wrote:

medman2000...

Do you have any videos of your display? It sounds amazing and I would love to see how you integrated the DMX stuff into your display.

Greg

:( still working on it. Reading on Planet Christmas how to actually get a good video, right now the quality of what I've tried is junk!

The DMX definitely adds a ton to the display, but this year just hitting the tip of the potential - most of the fixtures are providing RGB color mixing washes on my 10 trees and then the 4 big ones for my house. I'll keep trying to get the video working though.

medman2000 wrote:

Ponddude wrote:
medman2000...

Greg

:( still working on it. Reading on Planet Christmas how to actually get a good video, right now the quality of what I've tried is junk!

The DMX definitely adds a ton to the display, but this year just hitting the tip of the potential - most of the fixtures are providing RGB color mixing washes on my 10 trees and then the 4 big ones for my house. I'll keep trying to get the video working though.

try uploading it to http://www.vimeo.com when you get you video done. It comes out a lot better and cleaner then You Tube and others I have tried.

So does the LOR software control all the aspects of the lights for moving heads?

So does the LOR software control all the aspects of the lights for moving heads?

Yea, the current LOR software still does this with intensity setting - they provide a table in the DMX manual to convert LOR intensity and DMX value - but other than a quick pause in setting the intensity everything worked as if connected to a DMX controller board. I think some people have struggled a bit with timing the moving heads to sync perfectly with music - but that's a DMX issue - it just takes a small amount of time from receiving the command to move a yoke to an X,Y coordinate. LOR will send the command at the exact moment, but then the yoke has to move to the spot - trying to get the spot to hit the exact spot at the exact time means the user has to figure in or guess at the moving time.

• The topic was locked