Light-O-Rama Forums

Dancing Waters

Eaglesclaw

This is my first test run of my dancing waters that I will be running in my show this Christmas.  Running 8 solenoid valves and hope to have 16 soon.  Running this off of a CMB16D-QC controller and no relays.  Also using a 350 watt power supply.  I will do more videos once I get these built into my 125 gallon water trough.  It is running stand-a-lone using the chase sample #2.

I like it.

Is the connected to the house water supply or does it have it's own reservoir?

Are you planning to try to capture the water and re-use it?

Jerry

I like it.

Is the connected to the house water supply or does it have it's own reservoir?

Are you planning to try to capture the water and re-use it?

Jerry

Right now they are hooked to the house on city water and once done they will be on well water. I have a large water trough (around 150 gallons) that these will be in. I will run a line from my well system over to tank and put in a float valve so I won't run out of water.  I am going to hook up either a 1 hp irrigation pump which will pump around 21 gpm or a 1 1/2 quick prime pump which will push around 85 gpm.  The 2nd one may be too much pump, but I will know after my other 8 valves arrive. The pump will recirculate the water in the tank(s)  

My biggest decision is whether to spend another $125 and buy a second trough and run 8 valves in each or put all 16 into 1.  I will also have each nozzle lit up.  I already have both pumps so I'm ready there.  If I go with 2 troughs then surely I will use the bigger pump.  

In the video they are angled outward just for testing purposes.  Once installed they will shoot straight up.  Next year I may play with making them shoot over to the other trough.

Jerry H

Edited by Eaglesclaw

looks great, couldn't hear your song.

wouldn't work here - people would sue for making the ice rink.

definitely post videos after you're show ready.

cool idea.

Which valves, which controller and how much did it cost?

As for the valves I got these off ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271093094983?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The valves were $58 for 8 with free shipping.  Came from China so took about a month to get.

For the controller I am using the CMB16D-QC:

Here are some of the specs which is why I chose it.

The low voltage (safety) and standalone capabilities allow the CMB16D-QC to be deployed in a myriad of remote applications with no additional hardware being required. For example:  General LED lighting (spot lights, etc.)  Vehicle lighting (Bike, Car, Boat, etc.)  Landscaping, pool and pond lighting  DC Motors, solenoids, valves, relays

It came from LOR and runs $99.95

The pump cost will be according to what you get to run the show. The pump I will be using runs around $400.

Figure the cost of the tank in as well.  My tank runs around $150 And most likely I will be buying a second tank this year for the additional 8 valves I ordered.

looks great, couldn't hear your song.

wouldn't work here - people would sue for making the ice rink.

definitely post videos after you're show ready.

cool idea.

Using the CMB16D-QC in standalone only runs animation shows so no audio was present.  I was just using a test sequence. I will post videos as I go. Thanks.

Edited by Eaglesclaw

Are you planning on backlighting those with high powered flood lights?

No I won't be using floods. I have spent so much money on everything else this year that option is off the table.  I am looking into incorporating 2 - 3 bullet style lights into a larger pvc pipe which will encompass the smaller nozzle tube.  Still have playing to do to see what I will do for lights, but be assured there will be lights!  

Edited by Eaglesclaw

I am looking into incorporating 2 - 3 bullet style lights into a larger pvc pipe which will encompass the smaller nozzle tube.  

Dumb RGB nodes?

I have seen people use single 1 watt cree LEDs, but not nodes.

Can you control how high the water goes with ramps and intensities?

Dumb RGB nodes?

I have seen people use single 1 watt cree LEDs, but not nodes.

Can you control how high the water goes with ramps and intensities?

Most likely they will be dumb nodes.  I have some to test with.  As far as ramps and intensities I can say that the ramps appear to work as they are in the test sequence and you can see them taking place. I need to add some ramps that test all 8 at the same time to see for sure. I did not test intensities but since the ramps appear to work i'll bet that intensities do as well.  Ill throw some in when I test next and let you know.  If weather permits I plan on starting the plumbing in the tank on Sunday. TS Ericka expected to hit here in Florida, but maybe not until Monday.  We'll see.

Edited by Eaglesclaw

Love this, the only problem I see setting this up at Xmas in Australia is a hot balmy night and the kids wanting to run through the display to cool off.....

can you start at the beginning for me though, do you have a diagram on how it all connected?  solenoids running to CMB, how is the pump connected to them?  and what spec is the pump for the 8 solenoids?  Thanks in advance

The pump I will be using is a Myers QP15 which will push over 60 gpm. The solenoid valves I bought from ebay here: 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271093094983?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I have 8 more on the way. They connect straight to the CMB board.  Some say I will have trouble due to emf but the specs for the board say it will work with solenoids.  I ran it with the 8 valves on 1 bank and the triacs didn't even get warm, so I feel good about the board.  I have a 350 watt power supply pushing the board and valves which is well more than sufficient.  I have no diagram as I just shoot from the hip and go with the flow once I get started, but it is pretty straight forward as to connections.  

I have decided that I will place all 16 valves around my existing fountain that I built about 15 years ago.  You can see near the end of the test video.  The tank I was going to use is just too small.  I set it up and even slight winds caused the water the drop back down out of the tank.  I will still be lighting them up most likely with bullet style 12mm dumb RGB's.  I had to order a new impeller for my pump and waiting on it's arrival so in the meantime this weekend I may start playing with the lights to figure out the best way to light them up.

Jerry

Still waiting on the other valves to arrive.  Rain delays kept me from getting everything else plumbed into the fountain.  I should be near completion and working on lights next weekend.

post-9797-0-58895200-1441662518_thumb.jp

Edited by Eaglesclaw

Great job again.
But I like to know 100% how stuff works before I use it.
Yours has really been bothering me as how to power it all up.
I now fully understand.
Might even have to try it next year myself --- now that I fully understand.

power%20water.jpg_zps0m1ukjlf.png