Light-O-Rama Forums

Cosmic color pixel lead extensions

ebrown1972

Does anyone know if LOR makes lead extensions for their cosmic pixels? Not the cosmic color ribbons. I plan on using 2 ccp's to run 2 arches and 2 circles and I would like to space these apart a little further from one another.

Thanks

We do not recommend extending the leads for Cosmic Color Bulbs, Pixels, or Ribbons. 

CCDs are digital devices - that means there is not just power running on the wires, but data as well. The timing signals sent across those wires have little room for tolerance and after about 6 feet this becomes a real issue. Best practice is to keep the controller as close to the Cosmic Color Device string as possible.

No disrespect intended, but while they might not RECOMMEND it, it is indeed possible to add extensions to CCP/CCB strings.  I know of at least one other person besides me who has used 10' home-made extensions between the controller and light string with no problems whatsoever.  YMMV.

• Like 1

I think if you cut their cable to add an extension,   you just voided the warranty, but you may be able to buy 4 pin extensions cables from say DIYledexpress, HolidayCoro, etc

You are both of course correct.  Can you do it?  Probably a few feet without a problem...  However cutting or otherwise modifying the string will void the warranty.

• 4 weeks later...

I have extended my 12 ccr since I keep my controllers and sandevices into the garage, I do have a set of 16 cat 5 cables and they are 20' long each cable, each cat 5 has 8 wires so I grouped each cat 5 in four pairs of wires for the four pin connection. Last year I used one cat 5 cable of 40' long with no problems.

I'm using a sandevice E682 and it has a 4-pin screw-terminal that screws the wires, as I mentioned I'm using cat 5 cables that I grouped each cable in 4 pairs of wires, each pair was soldered at each end, one end goes to the E682 4-pin screw-terminal and for the other end I soldered the cat 5 to a single CCR connector that connects into the connector that came originally soldered to the CCR. my CCR are ws2811 from Ray Wu.

I will post some pictures later.

Thanks mixnight but when you said CCR I thought you were referring to LOR CCR, not 2811 strips.

I am interested in making extensions for LOR CCP strings that George mentioned earlier. I am wondering where to purchase the connectors that will fit the CCP string.

Friendly reminder: Let's watch it with the name calling. Even if you don't like them. 

Thanks George. I will check around for those connectors. I just want to extend the controllers 8 feet or so. If anyone happens to know of the correct connectors I would appreciate the info.

~Matt

• 1 month later...

I note LOR's warranty applies for one year but then provides for a 60% replacement even if 'eaten by dog'.  So if I cut my three year old CCBulb cable I still have the option of a replacement for 60% of the original cost.  (Hey, my dog can perform as a wire cutter!) 

So from the many entries to this thread, there appears to be no source for original connectors but many have cut the cable and extended them. I my case I'm only looking at an extension of about 6 feet. 

Am I correct or is there a source for the connectors I have missed?

Check out the old discussion Steve pointed out.  Ron Boyd posted a link to Seasonal Entertainment.  They sell extension cables that fit ccp's and ccb's. 

'Eaten By Dog' or 'Don't like color' imply that you did not intentionally damage/modify the item ;)

You missed this section->

Warranty Exclusions:  

Light-O-Rama will not be liable for product failures caused by misuse, faulty installation, failure to follow product instructions or environmental specifications, negligence, accident or product modification.

• Like 1

Have your dog modify them :lol:

If you have a dog that can modify Cosmic Color devices, we have a job for him/her at the factory doing assembly! :D

If you have a dog that can modify Cosmic Color devices, we have a job for him/her at the factory doing assembly! :D

Don't tell my wife, he's on his way!

• The topic was locked