Light-O-Rama Forums

Using CCB instead of CCR

jwblazek

I bought CCB's instead of CCR's as I perceived the ribbons to be fragile. AS I am writing sequences, and developing thoughts on how to make the tree, a thought occurred. Everything I have seen, sequences with graphics, use CCR's. With that said, what spacing do I need when I set up my CCB's ? Is this concept even feasible ?

Lots of us have done trees with pixels of one sort or another.  Mine currently uses 50 pixels per string and the string is just over 10 feet from the top to bottom pixel which resulted in 2 1/2 inch spacing between pixels.  That worked fine as far as I was concerned.  Details on my tree can be found at:

http://newburghlights.org/pixel_tree.html

Thanks Jim !   Nice construction of your tree.  Looking forward to construction start for the 2015 season soon. I like your idea of spitting the PVC, that solves the problem of bulbs/pixel alignment.  BTW, I used something similar for framing of Coro Plast sheets. Instead of cutting all the way through, just cut a single slot. Use elbows in corners, either dog eared the Coro Plast or cut the elbows.

Thanks again Jim

Thanks jw... I have been very happy with the tree. Yes, the sit PVC kept the pixels aligned nicely. If you look at my 2012 video you can see the alignment issues with the steel cables. I talked to my video gut a few days ago and he's almost done with my 2014 video so you will be able to see the difference. For 2015 it's going to grow four more strings. On going to also do a partial rebuild of the star which will make the center part much brighter.One of my thoughts for the tree is to double the pixels on each string with it setup so that every two pixels are treated as one, so as far as the sequencing is concerned there are still 50 pixels. That is very easy to do in the E682 controller.

Oops. That should read "Yes, the split PVC...." In the second sentence - can't edit it on my phone...

• 2 weeks later...

I have mine mounded on aluminum tubing.

Picture in this thread:

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/23186-anyone-else-building-a-frame-for-a-12-ribbon-ccr-tree/page-4#entry270685 

higher up in the thread are pictures of the fame w/o the lights and the "sled" that I use to hang i from the roof.

In the picture on that post you can see CCBs on the eves mounted to 2" PCV.  They are now mounted to aluminum tubing as well -- much less flex at 18 feet long.

• The topic was locked