Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB 10W Flood and Single RGB Ribbon Maximum Voltage

jaanth

Hello,

I purchased some of the RGB 10W floods and single pixel RGB ribbons, the LOR website lists the operating voltage as 12V. I am controlling them through a CMB24D.  

I have power supply that is labeled 12V, but the output measures 13.8 volts. I know this won't bother the controller, but does any know if the this extra voltage is within the normal operating range of the floods and ribbons?

Thanks,

Jim

the 13.8 volts. is at the supply not the lights, that voltage will drop once the lights are turned on.try this turn all the lights on as white and measure the voltage again.this is your load on the supply at maximum output. The more lights you start adding the more you will see a drop in voltage.

There are lots of "12 volt" power supplies that are actually designed to output 13.8 volts.  I hold a Ham Radio license and many of the radios are designed to be used in 'mobile' situations where they are mounted in an automobile.  Typical automobile voltages are 13.8 volts so the manufacturers have used the 13.8 volts as a standard.  Many of the manufacturers of power supplies match this output so that our 'mobile' radios can be used at home.  

So as sonoma indicates, you may see the output of your supply drop as you add loads.  If not, I wouldn't worry too much as there will be series resistors inside your Floods.  You might consider measuring the current with an ammeter and calculate the wattage (multiply the volts times amperes = watts) will all the RGB channels full on.  My floods are rated at 10 watts and am guessing yours are too.  So a current draw over .73 amperes or so might be a concern.

And finally, some power supplies have an adjustment where you can change the output voltage.  I'd suggest checking the manufacturers data sheet.

Good Luck,

Ken

• The topic was locked