Light-O-Rama Forums

cmb24d acting up?

portcity_gt

Ahhh, sorry..  I am currently running 4 30 AMP 360 watt (so they say) power supplies

2 are for the board and 2 are for the extenders, the problem is I am not getting anywhere near 30 amps out of them, i figure I am getting about 20 amps out of each..  they would probably be fine if I had 150 LED's per strip and only pulling 1 amp per channel....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ENFBXQS

Which one were you currently using?

I say pulling 2 to 3 amps per channel because as max-paul said, blue and green can pull more power than red, and you have to add the resistance in from the wire run to the strip that will add milliamps to the channel...  what I don't know is how many milliamps does 25 feet of wire add?? the card can handle 2.5 amps per channel and that would be 60 amps for the card...

Ok, sorry if that is what you took away from my comment. What I said is that Blue and Green take more voltage to operate properly. And if you have a voltage drop, Blue and Green could drop out or dim more so than Red that needs less voltage to operate. Actually all 3 colors of the strings should all pull the same amount of current no matter what color. Resistors are added into the Red LED string to drop more voltage. Thus all 3 circuits (colors) are attached to the same voltage source. And all 3 will pull the same amount of current. The resistors as I learned many years ago in a electronics course. They are called current limiting resistors. But can also be thought of as a voltage dropping resistor.

BTW I have to point out, that electrical terms have a strong impact on a conversation. Power is voltage times current. But you have to understand that power can remain the same but voltage drops and current goes up. Or Power can remain the same but voltage rises while current goes down. This is why I had to clear things up and point out I was talking about voltage in my earlier post. While you misquoted me talking about power.

Edited by Max-Paul

thanks for correcting me...  I know enough to get into trouble and by no means an electrical guru...  I know my 12 volt stuff on the stereo side but taking it from 120 volt and crossing over is proving difficult for me...  I will get it, its just taking me some time..

The fact that you are trying to learn this stuff is great. I spent many a year back when I was young studying and trial and error and generally pulling my hair at times. Nothing is free that is worth while learning. Keep at it.

• 11 months later...

Ok, old thread....but i have confirmed this is an issue with the controller. 

Last year i kinda wrote it off as cheap lights causing the issue.

But this year i changed lights, wires and power supplies and the problem is still there, so i copy and pasted the sequence from channel 1 (1,2,3) to channel 7 (19,20,21) and it ran correctly. 

I wonder what are the chances of lor warranting this board being i started this thread when the controller was new last year.

• The topic was locked