Light-O-Rama Forums

CTB-16D Not finding comm

Tim Fischer

Hi all,

I'm slightly freaking out right now. I was powering up my CTB-16D's tonight so I could upload the latest firmware. Out of 4 units (one is actually a LOR1602W), one of them can't find the communication. Since the others work I know things are OK on the computer side. But the wayward board just keeps blinking - the LED never goes solid.

I tried doing a reset (unplug, set to 0,0, watch fast-blinky light for about 30 seconds, unplug, set to unit).

I've tried using both a Cat5 and telephone cord, just in case one of the jacks was flakey.

I've pressed down on the socketed chips to make sure they are well seated.

Are there any ideas sort of sending it back to LOR? I'm going to email support as soon as I hit submit but am looking for ideas...

THANKS!

-Tim

UPDATE:

I remembered that the first controller in the chain must power the RS485 dongle. So I tried using two boards with the bad board second. I get the solid red light, was able to download firmware into it, and it appears to be working. I even chained on a 3rd controller and all seems well, as long as this unit isn't the first one.

This sort of takes the urgency out of the situation, but it does seem to point to a hardware failure of some sort, doesn't it? But this isn't supposed to be the first controller in my setup anyway, so I'm not too concerned if others don't see any issues...

-Tim