Light-O-Rama Forums

Anyone using Dumb RGB ribbons for Mega Tree 3D star?

Al Saunders

Hi Everyone,

Hope everyone had a great show this year. Mine is ending this Sunday night and we have had more visitors this year so that has made us very happy.

I am planning a new Mega Tree next year and was wondering if anyone else has used the LOR Single pixel (dumb strips) to illuminate a mega tree star. I have the 2' 3D star topper from Christmas Light Show mega tree kit and my wife and I are not fans of rope light which is what they offer. I am thinking of using the dumb RGB strips to attach to the star that way I can not only have white but any other color I may want. The other option I would probably do is zip tie LED white lights to the 3 channels of the star.

The draw back is looking at price it would make more sense to buy the 8 strip kit and power supply instead of just the 3 strips I need but what about the other 5 strips. Could I have the 3 needed for the star then use the other 5 somewhere else in my display on other fixtures? I have 2 CCR's now that I use for one arch and another just a straight line under the arch on my roof. Would be using RGB dumb strips be overkill for a tree topper both in the use and expense? I would appreciate any input.

Thanks,

Al

My mega star is made out of dumb strips.  4 concentric stars controlled by 12 channels of a DC controller. It took a lot of soldering to make all the joints.

Steve

Sorry................didn't read very well..............my star is not 3D...............no edit..............

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply. I'm still thinking of what I want to do. Since most of the planned animation of the star will be on/off giving motion I may just use M5 or M6 LED's attached to the frame for illumination.

Thank,

Al

• The topic was locked