Light-O-Rama Forums

Mega Tree Planning for 2014 Show

NJJohn

Just to give a starting off point, the diameter of your base of your tree should be one half of the height to make the lights look right. I did an 8 ft tree with 9 channels and 54 strands of 50 lights doubled over and we raised it to 13 ft, 10 ft galvanized pipe, galvanized coupler, 5 ft galvanized pipe beat 2 ft into the ground (just make sure you buy a pipe cap to beat it into the ground so you don't ruin the threads). 3 guy wires and it doesn't move at all. Floor flange at the top to connect the light strands. 

Klayfish,

Yes, I wrapped the strand around the spring clip and zip tied it to the wire, to keep the strand in place.

I will need to get back with you on where I got the star.

John has good points on his 20 footer. The main thing is while building the mega tree, think about the future and expanding. Structure of the support makes a huge difference when going bigger or better.

And Goose, while the "base of the tree should be one half the height" works for some, it may not work for others. Not saying it's wrong, but some prefer a wider or slimmer tree. My tree is 30' tall (without the star) with a 20' base. Some may like it and some may not. But it's what I chose to go with.

Either way, a mega tree makes a nice addition.

Tom

Hi everyone, I too am planning a new Mega Tree this year. It will be 20' with a 2' 3D star on top. The thing I keep racking my brain over is the length and number of lights per string for it. I am planning on it just being 16 channels for now, MAYBE 32 if I pick up another controller during one of the sales this year. I am planning on 96 total strings, 24 of each color of Red, White, Blue and Green. Since the pole will be 20' and the recommended (by Daryl at Christmas Light Show) length of each of the 4 base pipes be 5' that gives the diameter of 10' so the length of the final side of a triangle would be 25' assuming each side of a Mega Tree looks like a triangle. My thinking is to use 70ct C6 strings and bring the circumference in a bit to match the 70ct string length of 23' taking off 12" for the lead and tail of each string. My other thinking was using 100ct (33.3ft) and 50ct (17.5ft) of each color and doubling them together (50.8ft) then putting the half way point at the top of the tree to make a full 25' superstring. The only thing with this is it would take my bill from about $1000 to over $2000. Now my wife is cool with me spending some on our show but I do think she'd have a sticker shock moment. LOL Not to mention I need to order more zip cord and some other misc. lights. :D

Also using that calculator given 96 strings, 20' height and 10' circumference I think the spacing of the strings would be just under 4" and that sounds pretty good to me. I am wondering how others have determined the length of their strings. I read a thread once about letting the strings determine your height so to me the 70ct sounds the best. How does the 4" spacing sound to you guys? Will it look pretty full?

Santa's Helper (Tom) thank you for all your insight on this thread! I am going to try and save it along with your pictures for future reference.

Thanks,

Al

Al,

Are you referring to 10' diameter instead of 10' circumference? Diameter is one side to the other. Circumference is the full circle value.

I think the 96 strands will be plenty for a full look. One controller for 4 colors and 24 strands each color may limit use of what you want to do. But there is creative ways to get around it too.

If your looking at 23 or 25ft mega strands for a 20' pole, the base of the tree may be wider than you want.

23' strand will give a 22' diameter with a spacing of .75 feet between each strand.

25' strand will give a 30' diameter with a spacing of .98 feet between each strand.

If there is a way to go another foot or two higher, you could use the full length of strands without having too wide of a base IMHO.

Some like the look of a wider based tree. I really don't but that's just me. I'm just saying, make sure you use the calculator to see how the tree will look before deciding which length of strands to choose or height of the pole.

Sounds like your on the right track though. I look forward to seeing the end result.

Hi Tom,

Sorry you are correct I meant 10' Diameter not circumference. Glad you pointed that out! I entered the value of the pole height of 20' and string length of 23 and you're right, too wide of a tree. If I enter the pole height of 20' and the diameter at 10' it gives a better looking tree and puts the length of the string at 20.6'. So using the 70ct C6 LED strings the lite length is about 23' so I could either have the excess go into the center or electrical tape the excess bulbs. You bring up a good point though, I could get another pole pin and go up another 2.5' and it would still have a good shape and utilize the whole string. My thought is to use the black pipe for the pole and 4 base legs and at the end of each leg have a T fitting and run grey PVC pipe around the circumference and into the T fittings and anchor them to the ground. Then attach the male ends of the light strings to the PVC pipe (actually the first bulb not the plug). You mentioned earlier in this post about using wire as the support and just attaching the strings to the wires if the tree will be 30' or more. Considering another recent post about LED failure and the mention of straining the light strings would you recommend using your wire and spring clip process for a 20' tree? Or would it be unneccesary?

I really like your mega tree but just can't jump into a 33' mega tree especailly not knowing my new house layout. I know I won't have the acreage you seem to have so I doubt I'll be able to go to that height in the near future. The rendering on that calculator looks like a nice shape and is close to your real life one. I'm really leaning toward single strands of 70ct C6 LED's. The total length according to the CDI, Christmas-LED's and HLE all show them at 24.3' but that includes the 6" at the lead and 6" at the tail. I just can't see spending over $2000 right now to make superstrings.

Again, thank you for youe help!

Al

Al,

I think the 20 or 22 footer will be a GREAT addition and is plenty big. My mega tree was 20' a few years ago, BUT I had visioned a 33' so that's how long the strands I originally purchased. I just ran the extra lights toward the center of the pole.

I did blue my first year, then added green the next year and on my third year I added red and white. So it took me 3 years to be able to purchase lights for all 4 colors.

If you have the time, I would suggest using the wire because to me it's worth it to save the light strands. And up where you live, I'm sure with get your share of bad winter weather.

And C6 bulbs are the best I think.

Hey Tom,

Thanks for the info and help! I will probably go with the 22' to use the whole string and not have any left over. I will also use the wire like you suggest. I really want to have these lights I'm about to order last as long as possible and yes, here in MD we do get are fair share of bad weather. Just last night we got our first big snow fall. We have about 6" on the ground so all my ground LED's are completely buried. My last night will be this coming Sunday 01/05.

Looking forward to seeing how the C6 strings will look! :)

Thanks again,

Al

Al,

Also planning a 20' mega tree for next year.  You mentioned a couple times above about 'entering' the height and diameter. Is there some spreadsheet you used or was this in the LOR visualizer?  Just curious, I am trying to do the same thing - plan on what string length.

Randy

Al,

I think you will be happy AND at ease with that height and using wire. Between winds, ice and snow, there can be a lot of stress on those strands. Plus you can pull it tight for a nice conformed shape and not worry about pulling wires out of sockets.

It's a nice feeling to see those lights last year after year and not be too concerned with the weather during the season.