Light-O-Rama Forums

CMB16D regulator gets very hot

Davidt

G'day All,

I have 8 x CMB16D that I've just hooked up. All 8 boards are conneted to a common 24VDC supply for both banks of channels.

I've noticed that on a few of the boards the heatsunk regulator (near the channel 1 output) gets very hot (too hot to touch for more than a few seconds), while on the other boards it only gets luke warm or remains cool.

If I remove the CAT5 cables, but keep power applied, then the regulator cools down after a few minutes. When I reconnect the CAT5 cables then it heats up again. I've swapped cables, removed output devices and all the usual checks and everything is as expected.

Apart from that strange symptom the boards are working great, but I'm just curious as to whether the regulator is meant to get hot in the first place.

Cheers,

davidt - Australia

The voltage regulators can take a lot of heat. It is normal for them to get warm... However I would expect them all to be running at about the same temperature. Do the regulators have the black heatsinks on them? Voltage regulators will continue to function at a temperature that would immediately burn your skin.

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the response. All of the voltage regulators have been installed with the supplied heatsink and thermal compound. All 8 are fed from a common 24 VDC source and they all vary in temperature considerably from cool to very hot.

As stated in my original email the thing I find odd is that they only get hot when they are connected to other units via the CAT5 cable. If the network cable is removed then they cool down considerably.

The units themselves are working great (so is the iDMX1000).

Cheers,

davidt