Light-O-Rama Forums

Controller problem

Dave Haake

Is it possible that both of the output jacks have gone bad on my controllers? When in hardware mode it shows cont 1 and 2 when hooked up accordingly, but when I daisy chain them together only the controller that is programmed #1 will come on. I even switched the cat 5 cables around and both worked. One of the out jacks looks as though it is coming off at the top. Any thoughts or thread that someone can direct me to?

What is this hardware mode you speak of?

Ok this is what I got from you first post. If you hook up one controller at a time and use the hardware utility. You can find the one controller. First one is addressed as #1 and the second one is addressed as #2. But if you have a Cat 5 from the computer / adapter go into #1 and a cable over to #2. That you can only see #1.

Ok swap controllers. go first to #2 and then go to #1. Can you see both controllers?

I mean the hardware utility.  I thought you can only hook up 1 controller at a time.  if I hook up from the computer to cont #1 and refresh it finds it.  then I disconnect from one and hook up to cont. # 2 and it finds it.  then I hook back up to cont #1 from computer and go from the output of one to 2 with the other cat 5 cable and try to play a sequence but only cont. 1 works. its like they are not talking to each other.  is there a way to see them both hooked up at the same time in hardware utility?

You have a misconception about the HWU and controllers. The only time you would want only one controller hooked up to the computer is when changing addresses. I have 12 controllers hooked up to my system. I can run HWU at any time (so long as all of the other LOR programs are closed) and check on my controllers. I should be able to see all of them. And you are aware that you do not have to have your controllers daisy chained in sequential order, right?

Now again what happens if you go from the computer/ adapter to #2 and then to #1?

I had two brand new controllers with a daisy chain failure.   Theres a quick procedure to check to see if that really is your issue - simply look at the green light on the controller board as you step through the connection process.   

First, make sure the controller is linked back to the LOR adapter, and computer, and the computer has the LISTENER app running.     If the controller's light is solid green, it has connectivity.  Move to each controller down the line and check their lights.  If you get to a controller blinking, it's lost connectivity.  Start troubleshooting the other obvious issues such as making sure the socket doesnt have any internal damage (bent pins, the socket has no moisture, the data cable fully seats and locks into the socket, etc.)   I'd even use a cable tester if you have one or change out the data cable if none of those things resolves the problem.   You may also want to move the data cable back and forth to the other data jack to see if that has any effect.  Both ports are on a bus so it doesnt matter which one is the "IN" port and which one is the "OUT" port.  

You can also swap the controllers in the line so that if you indeed find that the output jack of a controller is bad, you can move it to the end of the line, change controller numbers and buy yourself some time until you can get it fixed.  

If you find it's a bad controller, LOR is an OUTSTANDING company that provides help after the sale.  They really busted their tails to get me back on-line when I discovered my problem. 

Good luck

sorry I might not have answered your question.  I tried to hook it up both ways and even swapped unit id's so that 2 would be 1. still only the controller set up for unit 1 will come on when I try to play a sequence.  if I go from com/adpt to #2 and then to #1 and try to play a sequence it only plays # channels.  I may be really confused.  where am I looking to see both controllers? HWD or just by looking at the red leds.

• The topic was locked