Light-O-Rama Forums

Dealing with the media

pghquest

I do have a FM transmitter and looking to hook it up, just trying to find a decent sign.  One sign shop locally wanted $40 per sign, which I think is ridiculous.  I can see that for the first one, but I need 2-3 of them at least to spread it out..

If you have an old computer and display, put up a power point presentation with the frequency and put the display in a window.

• Like 1

I'm hoping I don't get that much traffic, I live on a main county road, but it runs through a nice quite suburban neighborhood.

If this is your goal, avoid the interview!

Here where I am, there's someone else who's been doing LOR for years and widely known with the locals and media. They interview him every year. He ends up with a mile of cars lined up each night to see his display. Huge home, huge yard, '50 megatree and so on. Very beautiful display and actually, I'll drive over there today to see and talk to him about how his show is coming along. I know he'll light up Thanksgiving night like I will. Last year was my first year and I didn't publish that to anyone. This year, more people know about it so will wait and see how the traffic goes. I'm using an EDM and its set for about a block of transmission and I tested it for that.

• Like 2

We had media out by us 3 years ago. We had a big surge of visitors after that. They did give address. It calmed down a lot a few weeks after. We are fortunate enough to live in a small village about 20 to 30 minutes from a major city and they don't like to drive out this way much. Next year we plan on moving into a larger city so we will see how traffic dies off. Feel for the new owners of our old house when it sells.

As others have stated if you can handle the traffic and neighbors don't mind it would be ok especially if you live in a smaller community like we do. If there is any doubt you shouldn't have done it.

I also made the news my 1 st. year. local t.v station came out and did a whole special on it. this year I mainly worked on just Halloween stuff and only have two songs

done for Christmas. right now just have a simple 5 min. loop with no sound and cars are stopping to stare. should have made more use of my time me thinks..

Big Joe     -64 lor. chs.

-10 rgb chs.

I share everyone's concerns about being a good neighbor, traffic and certainly want to keep my display off everyone's radar.

I am concerned, unfounded perhaps, that when Christmas Light Fight airs on TV, there will be a "renewed" interest in people talking and seeking out local displays.  I hope my fear is not realized.

I share everyone's concerns about being a good neighbor, traffic and certainly want to keep my display off everyone's radar.

I am concerned, unfounded perhaps, that when Christmas Light Fight airs on TV, there will be a "renewed" interest in people talking and seeking out local displays.  I hope my fear is not realized.

I have the same concern as well.  Right now, I live on a dead end street, and you can see my lights from the main road.  Since I'm pretty far off the main road, I don't get very much traffic (probably 5-6 cars a night).  There is a guy about 3 miles from me, who is actually my former neighbor, who's been doing an animated light show for about 8 years now, who has probably 50 cars a night in front of his house.

I don't promote my show at all to the public.  I have it on my website, talk about it on my Facebook page (roughly 200 friends) and my family and coworkers all know about it.  Small group of people, maybe 400-500 people at best.  The rest of the people who see my display find out thru them.

I can not have shows at my home anymore due to this. For 5 years all my neighbors would come out and watch the show. In 2011 I upload on YouTube...just like the previous years. It went viral and thousands of people showed up every night. Now some of those same neighbors that loved the show hated it and wanted it gone. I didn't give out my address. People will find it and nothing you can do. Some people told me they found it because they knew the city and you can see my street address painted on the curb in the video. They Google the 2 and came up with 2 locations....I was the 2nd location. Unfortunately it's that simple. Once the address is out there, the only way to stop it is to unplug it. I live in a HOA so thats what really stop me from doing it at my home. They invented new rules that basically stops it. Stops from others in the neighborhood too which is not something I wanted. The funny thing is some of my neighbors have thousands of lights on their home...just as much as me or more. But it's static. Technically they are in violation but I doubt they are getting notices or fines. They really wanted just me to stop so outsiders would not come to the neighborhood...just they couldn't say that. They had to direct it to "all". I'm moving mine next year to a different location. No HOA this time.

Crap. Should have come here yesterday. We're on Channel 10 Monday with a full story and Fox as well. They were really in to it and it was a positive interview IMHO. Our local paper, loves plugging us too. Sooooooo, Just how screwed am I? It was really busy last year. I don't think my dead end street can handle 1000's of cars. Last year was crazy just with the paper alone! Thank god my neighbors are cool and I DON"T live in a HOA. Do you think shortening the show would help move them thru faster? Right now it's about 25 minutes.

BTW Kevin, you got a plug. When they asked what got me into this, the truth was, it was you! Congrats on the TN thingy. Pretty awesome! One hellavu upgrade!

Guess we're gonna need a bigger boat. We'll see what happens. lol

P~

2 pieces of advice from this old timer, based on doing large displays since 1977:

1) try to avoid the media, especially print, as the newspaper stays around a lot longer than a memory of a home location based on a broadcast media spot. 

2) do not accept any donations of $ or equipment for your display. As soon as you do, you are accepting reimbursement for your display, which means legally you can not use copyrighted music, without paying licensing fees. To avoid possible legal issues my collections for charity are put by the donators directly into a steel lockbox, to which I do not even have a key. There is no way I am going to put myself in a situation where I might be accused of keeping some of the $ collected by any folks wanting to create issues. It has never happened, and I intend to be sure it never does!  

If someone drops off an unsolicited donation, that you were not expecting, that is a different issues. Bottom line, this can be an expensive "hobby". You need to know and plan for that going into it.

• The topic was locked