Light-O-Rama Forums

Unused wires in RS485 (Cat5) Cable?

jaanth

When connecting LOR controllers with a Cat5 cable is there an unused pair of wires that is passed through the controllers so that a continuity alarm circuit could be triggered?

This year we will have multiple controllers outside. What I would like to do is build an alarm circuit so that would detect a control cable being unplugged or cut.

I have the following controllers, CTB16D, CTB08, CTB16PC.

Thanks,

jaanth

LOR uses pins 3,4,5 & 6 -- the center 4 pins. 1 & 2 are connected through on the CTB16D, CTB16PC & CTB08D (I don't have a CTB08, if Dan sees this he can respond). CTB16D blue boards have 1,2,7 & 8 connected through.

I've thought about doing this myself - and I may some year. I believe when we talked about this last, Dan said none of the other pins were passed through. I assume John knows what's going on and is correct. I myself have never tried, but it would be very simple to do if the pins are passed through, just put a loop plug that ties 2 pins together at the end of your chain. If you're going to a real alarm panel, you could do this with the EOL resistor. If you're going home-brew, you could just loop it and use it to release a SPDT relay that controls a bell. I believe Dan said this functionality would be included in some future release of LOR because the hardware utility would actually track what was connected. That would be necessary for wireless boards anyway...

Tom

LightORamaJohn wrote:

LOR uses pins 3,4,5 & 6 -- the center 4 pins. 1 & 2 are connected through on the CTB16D, CTB16PC & CTB08D (I don't have a CTB08, if Dan sees this he can respond). CTB16D blue boards have 1,2,7 & 8 connected through.

Jeff Millard wrote:

tomskillman wrote:
snip... If you're going home-brew, you could just loop it and use it to release a SPDT relay that controls a bell. ...unsnip

Consider this... After LOR II is released, and the decvelopment team has a chance to solve any problems that arise... There will be a hardware update that will make the interactive function of LOR II available. This means you should be able to use the inputs on the header to activate events.

Your relay idea when picked up continuously through a loop of these two wires, using a "D" would trigger a sequence or event when the loop is interrupted. Imagine a Halloween type sequence that turns on floodlights and starts yelling in an authoratative voice. Maybe an X-10 channel that turns the lights on in your bedroom...

I think this can be put to good use in the future. I hope the input functions of the controllers isn't far off. I'd really like to incorporate it into my display for 2008...

Jeff
Do you know if LOR II will alow imputs from other boards, like it controls other outputs?