Light-O-Rama Forums

which dongle

Dennis Laff

Normally, I don't register my comments on something like this, but it's been one of those days and I'm in a mood.

I don't understand the comment. This entire thread has been extremely informative. Any comments referencing specific hardware are posted (at least to my knowledge) by users. Not vendors. Even the guy who has something to sell has refrained from really advertising anything, save the very innocent comment regarding a future feature addition, which I'm guessing we all expected was coming anyway.

Why discourage this kind of exchange? Based upon the above, I see at least a couple folks who are happy to have gotten the help.

• Like 2

Since we seem to be on questions about connecting SE stuff, I have one.  I tomorrow I will receive my G3-MP3 Director.  I also have   20 rainbow mini pixel strings from SE.  What, among all of the options suggested so far on this thread, would be the best for a connection between them?

This is for a standalone Mega Smart Pixel tree, there will be nothing else connected to the G3 except the pixels.

this will be a bit of a challenge. The MP3 Director only outputs LOR. Most devices driving pixels accept DMX.

So, what you would need is:

Director ===> iDMX 1000 ===> Pixel Driver ===> Pixel strings....

You could use the SE Rainbow Brain as Pixel driver and the iDMX from LOR.... You could also check out Sandevices ELOR device. As far as  understand it is both in one kit...

I am hoping this reply gets posted, I would love to be able to get a response.

The picture above shows 2 lines coming out of the computer. I am using LOR S3, so the USB line to the rs485 then my LOR boxes daisy chained together and cat 5 cable goes to netgear Ethernet hub then pr12? Is this correct setup? Will S3 speak to both outputs from the computer? Or am I missing something?

Thank you in advance for any help/advice offered.

You could also check out Sandevices ELOR device. As far as  understand it is both in one kit...

The ELOR converts LOR to 4 universes of E1.31. So it has a LOR network input and an Ethernet output. It also puts universe #4 on a direct DMX output, so in that way it behaves like an iDMX.

The advantages of an iDMX over an ELOR are:

• The iDMX can be set as unit number 1. The ELOR unit number for the hardware DMX output must be at least 4.
  • The iDMX can be put in "legacy mode", with 16 virtual unit numbers with 16 channel each.
  • The iDMX can run in "standalone mode", with up to 5,000 LOR commands.
  • The iDMX comes in a nice enclosure. The ELOR is a circuit board.
  • The iDMX comes with support from Light-O-Rama.

Normally, I don't register my comments on something like this, but it's been one of those days and I'm in a mood.

I don't understand the comment. This entire thread has been extremely informative. Any comments referencing specific hardware are posted (at least to my knowledge) by users. Not vendors. Even the guy who has something to sell has refrained from really advertising anything, save the very innocent comment regarding a future feature addition, which I'm guessing we all expected was coming anyway.

Why discourage this kind of exchange? Based upon the above, I see at least a couple folks who are happy to have gotten the help.

I may be wrong, like normal but, I thought the "No Vendors" thingy was vendors themselves could not post about selling stuff, not members posting in reference to a vendor.    Just to add to this,  any word on the vendor policy yet??   Been awhile since I've heard anything.

Just to add to this,  any word on the vendor policy yet??   Been awhile since I've heard anything.

Haven't heard anything from Dan.

The picture above shows 2 lines coming out of the computer. I am using LOR S3, so the USB line to the rs485 then my LOR boxes daisy chained together and cat 5 cable goes to netgear Ethernet hub then pr12? Is this correct setup? Will S3 speak to both outputs from the computer? Or am I missing something?

Yes, you are missing something. :)

The red line out of the computer comes from a USB port.  It connects to a USB-485, which then connects, via cat5 cable, to LOR controllers, CCR's, iDMX, etc.

The blue line out of the computer comes from its network interface (Ethernet). It connects to an Ethernet hub, and from there to various E1.31 devices, including possible an E1.31 to DMX bridge.  S3 will send on both the LOR network and the E1.31 network at the same time, but from different ports.

100BaseT (Ethernet) and RS485 are completely incompatible.  To make matters worse, a LOR network has 10 volts DC on pair 2, which is used to power ELL and SC485 devices.  100BaseT uses pair 2 for transmit or receive, and it uses Ethernet transformers, which act as a DC short. If you accidentally plug an LOR network into an Ethernet port, it can cause excess current to flow, destroying the transformer.

• The topic was locked