Light-O-Rama Forums

Ccr ?'s

gso125

I just upgraded my software to 3.9 with superstar 24 controllers. I'm going to buy 12 ccr's for tree set up but was also thinking of going around my house outline with them also and might do some arches also. This is my third year with 48 channels. I couldn't find any videos with the house done in ccr's anyone doing this. My ? Is where the power supply's would go for them up high do I need to extend power supply leaving it lower on the ground. So all in all i will most likely use 24 ccr's just starting the planing prep work now. Thanks

I don't think u'll find many with CCRs. I know only a few in the US that have lined their house in either CCR strips or DMX same type strips. Most I know of are in Australia and most of them use DIY strips and DMX. There are a lot of videos on the Aussie lighting forum that would interest you in seeing what it could look like....

In 2011 I outline just my roof line (horizontal) with CCRs and verticals with basic RGB strips. In 2012, I changed all basic RGB strips to all CCRs. In all, I used 14 CCRs.

Here is the video from 2012. Entire house in outlined with CCRs.

Check out my YouTube channel for other video using CCRs. Only 2011 & 2012. Before that was non-RGB.

http://www.youtube.com/user/KJ92508?feature=watch

Thanks guys for the posts. Kevin I love how the CCR's look on all over the house. Are the side yard display's RGB they match the color of the ccr's great. I like how your strobes add some pop to. Sorry the hoa shut you down what a great display. I have been trying to figure out a way to make it easier setting up on the house and think ccr's are better and may be permanent than all the super bundled light strands I hang. My neighbor fell off a ladder last year about 10ft bad head injury. I'm a bit nervous at 30+ feet now. I want to do the ccr tree also so might blend it into the face of my house instead of the front yard. And hold off on the arches / mini trees. Heading outside to plan/imagine this years display.

Kevin also I don't have a ccr yet but how easy/hard to extend the wire from the ccr's to the ground controls. I have seen how people posted keeping all the controls in a single water proof box for the ccr tree, do you do the same for the house ones. Thanks

Edited by gso125

Thanks guys for the posts. Kevin I love how the CCR's look on all over the house. Are the side yard display's RGB they match the color of the ccr's great. I like how your strobes add some pop to. Sorry the hoa shut you down what a great display. I have been trying to figure out a way to make it easier setting up on the house and think ccr's are better and may be permanent than all the super bundled light strands I hang. My neighbor fell off a ladder last year about 10ft bad head injury. I'm a bit nervous at 30+ feet now. I want to do the ccr tree also so might blend it into the face of my house instead of the front yard. And hold off on the arches / mini trees. Heading outside to plan/imagine this years display.

Kevin also I don't have a ccr yet but how easy/hard to extend the wire from the ccr's to the ground controls. I have seen how people posted keeping all the controls in a single water proof box for the ccr tree, do you do the same for the house ones. Thanks

I was wondering the same thing ...........Maybe someone from LOR could chime in.........

Kevin has shown how he did it in other parts of the forum, with descriptions and pictures too.

It's all out there; keep searching.

Thanks but if someone wants to chime in that's done it that will be a big help but ill keep searching anyways thanks

If using the CCRs then you can extend the cable but your milage may vary on how far you can extend the cable before you start seeing the pixel data deteriate. Ive extended the CCR cable by 2 metres  and seen no issues. 

Its just a matter of cutting the wires and joining in an extension, i soldered mine together.

Thank you I tried attaching a pic of my house iphone pic to big. What I plan on doing is in the center of the house put the 12 ccr tree with 6ch star on top. On the out line left side main house is use 4 ccr's and attach them to PVC pipe in full lengths 16ft long and have it some how laged to the house with galvanize or stainless threaded rod to take apart for storage. Then 2 or 3 ccr's around the garage. It will be the 2 horizontal runs on the main house up high that ill need to run 25 + feet down to the ground and hook them up to the controls. If it degrades it running that far I might have to think of something else. Thank you

Edited by gso125

I didnt extend the CCR wires. I mounted the controller/power supply next to each CCR in an enclosure and daisy chain power and cat5 to each controller. I could have ran all 14 CCRs off the same power circuit, but didnt for installation reasons. I found this picture from 2011.

http://forums.lightorama.com//uploads/imported/280604=15574-IMG00027.jpg

I have the enclosures itself (CG-500) and also carry the CCRs setup this way already mouted inside the enclosure...but better looking. The mouting board is gray plastic like the enclosure and fasten in with velcro grip-straps for easy removal.

Here is the CG-500 enclosure.  http://store.creativelightingdisplays.com/CableGuard-CG-500-Enclosure-CG-500.htm

Here is for the CCR with enclosure: http://store.creativelightingdisplays.com/Cosmic-Color-Ribbon-CCR-with-Enclosure-CCR150-ENC.htm

I will upload the "better looking" picture with the controller & power supply mouthing inside the enclosure this week. I forgot to add.

As for mouthing a bunch of CCR controllers & power supplies inside one enclosure/case/box for a mega tree.....I haven't tried it. Maybe you can use two CG-1500 enclosures and put 6 in each. I also read somewhere in here that a plastic storage bin was used.

Thank You Kevin that's what I wanted to know. I will be looking to get some enclosures from you and may some other RGB stuff to.

• The topic was locked