Light-O-Rama Forums

pixel controllers

Dennis Laff

Hi everyone just getting into e1.31 with lor can you run a J1 sys p12 controller for some pixel string and also use an E682 for some different strings on the same line are they daisey chain together? THanks Dennis

LOR E1.31 can run both of these controllers. Someone can correct me if wrong but they cannot be daisy chained. Basically you will have a cat5 going to a network switch (with multiple output cat5) and each output will go to one controller.

You should be aware that you will need 2 network outputs from your computer if you are going to run the LOR equipment and some E1.31 as well in the same show.

It is advisable to run the E1.31 stuff on a seperate network than your home network just for safety sake as well as then it does not interfere with your home network or internet speeds.  It is a fairly simple thing to set up a new network if you have an extra network jack on your computer or even if you need to add an extra network card such as:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106121  to get the extra network.

With the SansDevice or the J1Sys units, you set up the network to be in the range of 10.10.10.50 or so for the new network. out of your computer and then go to a network switch like Dave posted above with a Cat cable and then your E1.31 units are taken from the network switch on their own Cat cables for each unit.  The E1.31 stuff does not daisy chain at all like the LOR stuff, but is a seperate line out from the switch.

If you go onto the Aus forum you can see the layout for E1.31  http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,647.0.html  that will make it clear.

• Like 1

You should be aware that you will need 2 network outputs from your computer if you are going to run the LOR equipment and some E1.31 as well in the same show.

You don't have to have a separate network card to run LOR controllers and E1.31 at the same time. The LOR protocal is connected through a USB dongle and the E1.31 is connected to the network adapter or network switch.

It is a better idea to have a separate network from the E1.31 stuff and your home network unless it is a dedicated computer.

You don't have to have a separate network card to run LOR controllers and E1.31 at the same time. The LOR protocal is connected through a USB dongle and the E1.31 is connected to the network adapter or network switch.

It is a better idea to have a separate network from the E1.31 stuff and your home network unless it is a dedicated computer.

Very true, my bad at not explaining that better.

I was more thinking of having a second network to run the E1.31 stuff and the "original network if you will" which would be your modem/router for internet if you do not have a dedicated computer for the shows.

My apologies on not being clearer about that.

Hi  thanks for all the help only have one ethernet jack so i guess i'll buy the network switch and desktop ethernet card .Life was much easier with static lights.

A second network card is very cheap, and easy to configure, allowing you access to your primary network without bogging it down with DMX commands being streamed out multiple of times each second, a long as you run unicast.

Thanks Greg i ordered a second network card on sat should have in a few days will install and see if i have any problems .thanks  again

Glad to hear that Dennis. Just be sure to configure it, using a different ipaddress from your home network's range, and use unicast to ensure the DMX packets go out the proper network.

The other option is to go into windowns setup, and change the priority order of the network cards, if you plan on using multicast...

Unicast is cleaner, but that is Madrix's one current weakness. For sACN it uses multicast only (this version anyway)

• 2 years later...

can someone help me am new to this pixel thing and boy oh boy am so overwhelmed. I purchased 8  times (2) 50ct  RGB pixel with controller from LOR and am trying to get a mega tree add on to my show and I have no idea what to do next cause the more I read the more confused I get. I have pro level/I have a tree toper and a 20ft pole. willing to purchase sequences at this time but dead stuck. will pay if I have to. c369phi@yahoo.com help Anthony . thanks

I purchased 8 sets of lights two 50 bulb strings (100 bulbs total), they come with controllers attracted to them so I have a total of 8 controllers that are ready to be plug in.I already have pro level on my software. plus I have two dumb controllers and two residential CTB16 controllers.   

can someone help me am new to this pixel thing and boy oh boy am so overwhelmed. I purchased 8  times (2) 50ct  RGB pixel with controller from LOR and am trying to get a mega tree add on to my show and I have no idea what to do next cause the more I read the more confused I get. I have pro level/I have a tree toper and a 20ft pole. willing to purchase sequences at this time but dead stuck. will pay if I have to. c369phi@yahoo.com help Anthony . thanks

You probably should have started a new thread rather that adding on to one that's almost 3 years old? One thing is for sure, you started awfully late trying to put it together (and asking for help). I too jumped into pixels this year, but I went the e1.31 route, so I'm not familiar with the LOR pixel hardware. I started learning it in July, and acquired just enough knowledge to get my 12 string pixel tree running for my show. 

Good luck.

Mike