Light-O-Rama Forums

enclosure for hobbyist products

Guest guest

I plan on purchasing a 16 channel board, with heatsink, soon and was wondering what size the enclosure needs to be and also what it should be made out of, especially living in Ohio where we get snow, and the unusual rain, in november and december. I plan on eventually making some sort of display for valentines day/4th of july and halloween.

thanks for the information and love this site and all the help that everyone gives me in my beginning stages of LOR learning.

Has anyone considered the plastic permit boxes (used when a residence is being built or improved, posted out front for the inspectors to have access to permits) for an enclosure?

Big (27x19x6), plastic, weather resistant. Could hold 3 or more controllers easily.

Like this one from Home Depot ($29.96):

894124000011_4.jpg

Moving Target in NC

Seems to be 2 or 3 threads on enclosures.

Dan, are the actual board dimensions available anywhere? I didn't see them under "specs", nor in the user manual.

Curious whether anyone has mounted multiple boards in a single enclosure... horizontally maybe.

-Frank S.

if it were me i would only put one controller per box. putting all your controllers at one place in your yard means ALOT more extention cords. put one controller in each box and spread them out evenly in your display. thats what alot of the LOR veterens here do... i learned that from them...

-stephen

That is excellent advice, Stephen. Unless you have a mega tree, or something that needs a lot of channels in one particular area, you can save a lot of money (in extension cords) by using 8 channel boxes.

Bill

• 2 months later...

I can't seem to find the demensions for the CTB-08. Anyone know them off hand...or the demensions of an enclouser size? (maybe you could also add it to the LOR wiki)

lkcubsrule wrote:

I can't seem to find the demensions for the CTB-08. Anyone know them off hand...or the demensions of an enclouser size? (maybe you could also add it to the LOR wiki)

Without heatsink it measures 4.5 square and 1.25" in height

With heatsink 4.75 X 5.5 X 2" The 5.5 dim would need addition room for pigtails. My guess would be a minimum to 6-6.5".

Dan:

The way the heatsink is mounted on the CTB16d board, it acts as a stand-off. In your humble opinion, is any additional stand-off suggested if I'm mounting it in either a wood or Plastic box?

MichaelC wrote:

Dan:

The way the heatsink is mounted on the CTB16d board, it acts as a stand-off. In your humble opinion, is any additional stand-off suggested if I'm mounting it in either a wood or Plastic box?

If you plan to push the controller REALLY HOT:devil: (over 30 amps and lights on continuously for long periods (10-20 minutes) ) AND you have it in a plastic box then I would raise it up off the plastic a little to let the air under.

In a metal box attach it directly to the box that way the metal box becomes a heatsink.

I am also looking for more. I need approximately 20 new enclosures. I want them completely weather proof already, I will pay up to 50$ each but cheaper is better. Anyone have any sources?

Zac