Light-O-Rama Forums

First controller issue in 2 years

Jerry

Jerry, I understand your frustration and i'm not trying to say you are wrong,

but a stuck/bad triac is not that big a deal.

It pretty much is a random thing when one goes bad.

I would re-open the ticket and go from there..

Well, ya know, I is a BIG DEAL when you spend a lot of $ on something that only lasts for about 100 hrs, you don't have the ability & tools to fix it yourself , and you don't get much help from the people that made it. I sure didn't know you need to be an expert at circut board repair to keep this system going when I got onto it.

I have reopened the ticket , I don't expect a response till next week .

• 1 month later...

When they get the ticket, they don't know if you have been on the forum for assistance, or just starting from scratch. They have a number of people who power cycle the controller, and think that is a controller reset. They are looking for confirmation that you did follow that procedure. After all, they can't read your mind to know what "reset" procedure you followed. Reply back to the ticket confirming that the controller was reset by that method.

Sorry about the problem with the ticket - sometimes we misread things.

Others have already said this, but I just want to confirm it: The ticket being "closed" does not mean we're done.  We close every ticket after every response.  This is realy only because the help desk software that we're using makes it kind of difficult to notice new and updated tickets if we leave tickets open.

But you can reopen a ticket simply by responding to it.  And I suggest you do so in this case - respond to the ticket and let them know (again) that you already have tried a controller reset, and that it did not help.

Here is my story, its recent, yesterday as a matter of fact... I have a Triac that is bad and 2 Cat 5 inputs pulled away from the boards so they don't work( which is me not leaving enough slack, and stupid little kids running thru the yard, but I digress. Sent in trouble ticket yesterday after reading this thread(thanks for jogging my memory btw) and as of today I hadn't heard anything.....OR Had I? A check of my SPAM folder, and there it was, with YESTERDAYS date on it , saying No Problems, send them in for repair...Thank you!

Left my Xmas display up to see what my new sequencing for next year will look like , live. I have 5 PC series controllers out with ALL incandesent lights connected. Everything worked great for 3 weeks of Xmas shows. We just got a storm that started as rain then changed to a mix of snow /rain ,ending with 3 inches of the white stuff.

When we got rain before this, my GFI always tripped for this controller (never did find the issue ) .This time was the same, tripped breaker. I reset the breaker tonight to do some testing and found that my mega tree had one channel already on at about 50% (guessing) . My PC wasn't even powered up yet. The problem controller is 2nd in line . Opened all 5 up and all had the light flashing (after starting LOR).

Not knowing for sure what to do I ran my 2012 show . Everything worked fine but this one channel (15). The lights remained on at 50% all the time unless the sequence told it to be on at 100% ,then it went up and back to 50% when it should be off. I have some low power spins sequenced for the tree and when it came to channel 15 it didn't dimm as it should.

I searched the fourm and found jimswinder's instructions to reset the controller (thanks jim) but I'm not sure what & where the "jumper" is that needs to be removed and replaced. A photo pointing to this would be nice , for everyone, I think. Not sure resetting the controller would even fix it but it's worth a try. I've read about this problem with LEDs but not with incandecants.

Any insight from anyone would be appreciated. Thanks

BTW, a bad triac will not cause your GFI to trip unless it blew apart physically and grounded. The triac only acts like a switch and even if shorted completely won't trip your GFI on its own.  It would simply be like a switch that was always on.

That means that something external of the controller was causing the issue to begin with.  The triac might have just become a casualty of whatever that external issue is or was.   Keep that in mind when you reinstall your repaired board.

I keep bringing this stuff up because I hate to see product blame where not accurate.  

Here is my story, its recent, yesterday as a matter of fact... I have a Triac that is bad and 2 Cat 5 inputs pulled away from the boards so they don't work( which is me not leaving enough slack, and stupid little kids running thru the yard, but I digress. Sent in trouble ticket yesterday after reading this thread(thanks for jogging my memory btw) and as of today I hadn't heard anything.....OR Had I? A check of my SPAM folder, and there it was, with YESTERDAYS date on it , saying No Problems, send them in for repair...Thank you!

You're welcome! (I'm the one that issued your RMA)

You're welcome! (I'm the one that issued your RMA)

I thought that looked like your typing!

• 2 weeks later...

FYI....

This particular person actually had 2 threads going about his experience.  If you take a look at this msg, you'll see the details.

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/25819-triac-issues-lots-of-them/page-2#entry246200

That can certainly complicate any information/help folks are trying to offer...

Do you think the triac issues are related to wet conditions? Display lights that are still wet after a heavy rainstorm? Just wondering if there is something that can be placed inline from the dongle to the light string to protect triacs against wet conditions?

Jerry are you a fan of the older SNL show on Saturdays. Remember Glida Radner who played the part of Rosanna, would say almost every week. "My mother would always say. Rosanna Rosanna Danna, It's always something."

OK , that was easy enough, Power off, pull jumper , power on for10+ seconds, power off, replace jumper, power on and ........... still have channel 15 on at 50% . Don't know what else I can do. Guess it's off to the help desk. Boy,,,,,,,if this needs repaired already , I hate to even think of what's in store for next lighting season.

BIG THANKS Titus, don't know why I couldn't find that PDF page. Guess I didn't look in the right place.

• The topic was locked