Light-O-Rama Forums

27-Ch or 9 RGB Groups DMX Cat5 Controller

CLD Kevin

I know this is waaaay late, but been waaaay busy. I’ve had several request and just got around to finishing my prototype. So soon…in a day or two, I have in my online store a 27-channel or 9 RGB group controller completely built inside a enclosure with 15A Power Supply...Plug-N-Play ReadyToGO. My first prototype I’m using (9) Cat5 cables for the output. Same as how I built my controller for the RGB spiral xmas trees I used on my lawn...except prettier :) I also changed out the XLR connectors to Cat5. You can see in the link how I have the Cat5 Output and DMX Data configured.

Next will be an 18 RGB group (54 Channel) Cat5 controller powered by a 30A PS all tucked into the same size enclosure...will be tight. :blink:

I will also offer the same setup but with 4-wire waterproof connectors…but that will be later.

I tested the 27ch controller today and worked like a champ. This is for those who just want to plug and go or unsure on how to built.

http://www.store.creativelightingdisplays.com/27-Channel-DMX-RGB-Cat5-Controller-ReadyToGO-9-RGB-groups-27CH-DMX-RTG.htm

Happy Holidays!

Kevin

So the very late....ummm, like 2 months late :mellow: ....27-ch cat5 controller is ready and available in my online store.

I don't mean to nitpick your design - but I'm a little concerned about those Cat5 connectors outside of the box, outside in the weather, especially since they're carrying current instead of signal. I know of a few folks who had the connectors melt down due to getting wet... Seems like they should remain in the box and have people feed their cables into the enclosure, or a weather-resistant connector should be used.

Cool design though, other than that.

I see what your saying Tim...Cat5 is easy and cheap and trying to make cost effective. Waterproof Cat5 would be much better, but cost sooo much more ($5 ea). Inside the enclouse would be too busy and crowded. I want it to look good too. The 4wire waterproof cables I carry will give that protection and I will have that type available later.

After all my Cat5 cable were connected to the controller, i just put a large zip lock bag around the connections and zip-tied each end.

I guess I need to spend time in the snowy, raining, cold areas. I'm spoiled with 75-85 degrees most of the year...even winter months. Actually its raining today.

After all my Cat5 cable were connected to the controller, i just put a large zip lock bag around the connections and zip-tied each end.

Actually that should work fine - you might want to mention this in the instructions if you don't already. I have a number of external Cat5 connections that I simply wrap in plastic with the wires coming out the bottom, and zip-tie to something so they stay that way.

• The topic was locked