Light-O-Rama Forums

How do I do a white RGB twinkle?

tjflory

I'm not complaining... When I do a White RGB twinke, it makes a totally cosmic color show.

I'm wondering if there's a way to do an actual white RGB twinkle? (S3)

tj

If you are using LOR products, you can use the macros to get a white twinkle.

The following is from notes I took a few months ago. I think they work, or else I would have removed it from the notes.

White Twinkle

151 50

152 0

153 0

154 0

155 7

156 100

157 0

First column is the channel number, second is the intensity.

(Information provided as is. May or may not work. Use at own risk. This is a non-smoking flight.)

OK. You lost me.

I'm using S3, LOR 16 channel DC controllers, and 5050 RGB ribbon.

How can I do a white twinkle?

(thanks for being patient with me)

tj

Edited by tjflory

Don's instructions are for LOR CCDs. I'm guessing he presumed that's what you were using considering you're asking the question here.

Note to all - please be as inclusive and specific as possible in your questions so that people can quickly and correctly give you the best answer.

A twinkle is a single channel turning on and off in a random manner. In the case of RGB strips the three separate channels must combine perfectly to create and maintain the effect in white - not possible to do using conventional sequencing commands. (Shimmers yes, twinkles no.) With non-LOR RGB products, I don't know how you'd do that except manually. It's actually pretty easy to do. Best course of action might be to bite the bullet and do it manually for maybe a ten second length or so, then save it, and from then on you can paste the effect whenever you want it.

Edited by George Simmons

Don's instructions are for LOR CCDs. I'm guessing he presumed that's what you were using considering you're asking the question here.

Yeah, I did say "LOR Products" didn't I? I probably could have said LOR CCDs like you mentioned.

My bad... you know what they say about "assume". :blink:

Thank you all the same Gentlemen.

tj

Edited by tjflory

I think it would nice if the sequence editor would actually draw the effect, instead of just showing the hashed lines. Then, you could draw a twinkle in one of the 3 RGB channels and copy it to the other 2 to get them to line up. Or better yet, just realize that I'm drawing a twinkle in white and actually produce that effect (Or orange, or purple, etc.)

I'm off to make a request for 3.9 now.... :)

I think it would nice if the sequence editor would actually draw the effect, instead of just showing the hashed lines. Then, you could draw a twinkle in one of the 3 RGB channels and copy it to the other 2 to get them to line up. Or better yet, just realize that I'm drawing a twinkle in white and actually produce that effect (Or orange, or purple, etc.)

Oooh. I hope they can somehow retain the way it works now as well. I use it to generate random flashes of colors... looks super cool... try it!

tj

I don't think you need to worry much about retaining the way it works now - it's how LOR's twinkle command has worked for at least as far back as I go.

With the three channels that make up an RGB channel flashing on and off independently of each other, you'll always get that random burst of color - red, green, blue, yellow, purple, teal, and white - in no particular order. And you are right - CCRs and CCBs (as well as CCPs I presume) do indeed look super cool when all 50 pixels are generating those colors randomly... that effect can make a most excellent exclamation point in a song.

Edited by George Simmons

the old fashion way of making twinkles was to divide up your timing line into sections about 0.02 seconds apart, then create a random effect manually with quick bursts of on and off.

You can do the same to your new Non-LOR RGB lights to create twinkling white lights

the old fashion way of making twinkles was to divide up your timing line into sections about 0.02 seconds apart, then create a random effect manually with quick bursts of on and off.

What was that used for? My memory is getting sketchier as I get older, but I'm fairly certain the twinkle effect went back to LOR 1.0.

What was that used for? My memory is getting sketchier as I get older, but I'm fairly certain the twinkle effect went back to LOR 1.0.

I'm with you Tim. It was with LOR 1.0

As I understand how the LOR controllers work, that would not be possible. If I understand it right, the sequence editor does not generate the twinkling. The show computer (or stand alone device) only tells controllers to twinkle - the controllers generate the random blinking lights. The reason of course is a huge reduction in network traffic.

You could manually generate the twinkling as an earlier part of this discussion mentions. I am doing that for some effects in SuperStar..

As I understand how the LOR controllers work, that would not be possible. If I understand it right, the sequence editor does not generate the twinkling.

Good point. The software would have to either generate these as discrete events, or a firmware upgrade would be required.

Bob posted a video on how to do a twinkle with discrete events in the sequence editor using the Toggle tool. If you take the results of this and paste it to the same channels (red, green, and blue) you get a white twinkle. I used a similar method to create purple and orange twinkles for our Halloween show.

<Edit: If I would have watched Bob’s second video I would have seen you could just use the toggle on the collapsed RGB channels to create a white twinkle>

One fairly quick way to simulate a twinkle is to use the Toggle tool quickly and randomly a bunch of times across the desired channel/time range, overlapping as you go. Perhaps copy and paste from and to some random areas, too. Like this:

http://www.lightorama.com/SimulatedTwinkle/SimulatedTwinkle.swf

You can use the same idea to make simulated white twinkles on RGB channels:

http://www.lightorama.com/SimulatedTwinkle/SimulatedTwinkleRGBWhite.swf

And once you have simulated white twinkles, you can change them to simulated twinkles of any color, or even simulated twinkles of a fade from one color to another, using the Color Fade tool with Foreground mode turned on:

<Sorry, but you have posted more media files than you are allowed to>

Edited by rwertz

As I understand how the LOR controllers work, that would not be possible. If I understand it right, the sequence editor does not generate the twinkling. The show computer (or stand alone device) only tells controllers to twinkle - the controllers generate the random blinking lights. The reason of course is a huge reduction in network traffic.

You could manually generate the twinkling as an earlier part of this discussion mentions. I am doing that for some effects in SuperStar..

I have no experience with LOR Hardware, so I can't really say one way or another on that. However, all of my equipment is E1.31 made up of RGB pixels and I know my controllers don't generate twinkling, so it has to be done in somewhere before it gets to them.

Can you do it this way? I'm not around my sequencing PC right now so I just created a quick excel file. I'm actually going to try this when I get home and see if it works

Can you do it this way? I'm not around my sequencing PC right now so I just created a quick excel file. I'm actually going to try this when I get home and see if it works

That seems to be more of a shimmer than a twinkle... See the videos in Post #17.