Light-O-Rama Forums

Cat 5 Splitter

MikeyRo

Aye laddie, tis a good blow and was nae ta nice rain. Twas one of them rains that William Wallace noted ta was frum ta left to ta rrright. But ta grass is a green again. And ta well haz nae rrrun drie. So and so tit was a good rrain in ta long of it. Has ta say tat it was a gud thing ye got ye britches down beforen ta hard rrain.

MP,

You don't use spell check do you? J/K ;)

Actually, i had a display using that many controllers and in that situation (business location) previously but have since backed off due to change of display location. Nope, not rich, just diverting funds in a direction I was able to afford at the time and took a couple years to get there.

Although I still have the controllers, I have converted to some DC controllers as new RGB items have come on the market, just as you mentioned. For me, it will be dumb RGB strips.

I will add though, another son will help greatly with yard work and getting the lights hung in another couple months. :D

ya know, 'mate.. rreadin' in gaelic woz naught as 'ard as I thot.. an', ya figur, lil' o'er $120 each.. tis naught a kings ransome, jus' a good 'aul from a spanish frigate..

• Like 1

SH, wot tis ah "spell checker"?

TJ, dina ah tell yea before. Tis nae much between ye ana I speach. Ah be a telling ye, tat be a load of tat tair wool. Ana, ah dona know ifn ah cana keep all of tat tair sheep happy. ;)

• Like 1

I have to once again point out that I am just conveying what the White papers say. NO! That is not even allowed in a eithernet network. But the RS-485 network can only be split like that if the splitter has a set of bi-directional buffer chip. Now it seems that there are a few members to include Santa's Helper that this is possible. As for me and my household, we will continue to observe the white papers.

I am editing this to add that the first device has two RJ-45 jacks on the downside. And I suspect that there might be one of those buffer chips I was talking about above. While the second link is to a simple parallel jack with no buffer chip.

Edited by Max-Paul

Don't know if the photo of the inside of my USB485B is going to be too good. Crappy Kodak Zi6 camera is useless for these type of photo's. But thought I'd try my best so Max-Paul could see what the interior PCB of a USB485B looks like {component side}. And if that will tell him anything or not. Sorry the photo couldn't be more clear.

EDIT: these are the only 3 4 IC's on the PCB that are shown in the photo.

Edited by Orville

Thanks Orville for the effort. Without doubt there is going to be a bi-directional amp involved in a repeater. The only question left, is there a buffer between the two ports on the one side.

Thanks Orville for the effort. Without doubt there is going to be a bi-directional amp involved in a repeater. The only question left, is there a buffer between the two ports on the one side.

I do not believe there is on the USB485B unit. There are no traces on the bottom of the PCB. It looks to me like these are possibly wired in parallel to each other and their traces are underneath the cat5 connectors on the top side of the PCB. I just pulled it completely out of its shell and took a second look at it. No traces going to them except on the top of the PC board. Sure wish I could get a better photo of it, as I think that would help a lot.

Edited by Orville