Light-O-Rama Forums

Rh's Amazing Grace - Read This If You've Posted A Video Of It

Tim Fischer

For those who are using Richard's "Amazing Grace" video:

It seems that after a few years of trying to contact the record label about his Amazing Grace video that they want him to pay tens of thousands of dollars for using their music on YouTube. He tried offering them a few hundred but will not accept it.

He is removing all audio portions of his video on the internet since they threaten getting their legal department involved. It might be wise to do the same thing if you are using the Amazing Grace song.

That's all I know for now.

Guest wbottomley

I think everyone using that song should boycott it or remove the audio from the video and place a disclaimer about the situation on the bottom.

EDIT: what's the record label's name?

Edited by wbottomley

EDIT: what's the record label's name?

I'm not sure. The group was "Yule".

Guest wbottomley

Off to Google land.

EDIT: I'm getting Pulsive Media.

If it was by Yule, this is what I'm seeing...

• Original Release Date: December 7, 2007
  • Label: Pulsive Media
  • Copyright: 2007 PULSIVE MEDIA - all rights reserved
  • Total Length: 1:54:59
  • Genres:

Edited by wbottomley

I think everyone using that song should boycott it or remove the audio from the video and place a disclaimer about the situation on the bottom.

+1

Is the lable pursuing this because he posted it on YouTube or because he uses the YouTube video to promote the sale of his sequences on his website?.

Guest wbottomley

I think the best thing to do at this point is to wait for more details from Holdman himself. Remove the audio from the video or the entire thing. Not playing and/or recognizing this song will do more harm than good to the label.

Edited by wbottomley

Please do NOT contact the label over this. It may do more harm than good, and this is still a very open issue for Richard.

it goes to show you some folks are total jerks(and I'm being nice ;) ) on the other hand just goes to show how cool LMFAO is, they did not pursue money from Kevin no they actually came to his house and shot a video.just so sad

they should be paying us to use their music for the shows.

Over the years I've had a few people contact me wanting me to use their music. One of them sent me an CD and DVD unsolicited, then followed up by email. Most of it was decent music but not a style I felt we could use with the show.

I don't think most artists would care that we use their stuff in the display. Where it gets to be a murky gray area is when you upload it online...

-Tim

Maybe we all should ask for a refund for our copies of the song? They've probably gotten more sales from us than on their own.

I hate to admit that TSO has gotten a nice chunk of change from me. Just from watching Carson's (Hope I spelled that correctly) WOW video back some years ago. I went out and bought a couple of CDs. One year the wifey and I went to one of their concerts. A few years later one of our daughters joined us at another concert (on daddy's dime). Yet TSO can get real anal about videos posted on some of the video outlets.

Now if I had never seen that video of WOW, I might have never bought a CD or attended one of their concerts. Shame that their label does not understand this. And same can be said of Yule any any of the others.

Guest Don Gillespie

There has to be more to this, why all of a sudden would a music group demand money after 5 years of using the song which most of us have purchased anyways, maybe richard could chime in on this and give us all the info required, IE: is he selling a sequence with the music?? there just has to be more here.

There has to be more to this, why all of a sudden would a music group demand money after 5 years of using the song which most of us have purchased anyways, maybe richard could chime in on this and give us all the info required, IE: is he selling a sequence with the music?? there just has to be more here.

I don't think there's more to it then that. I think Richard is reluctant to say too much in public until this is settled. Just my speculation.

I hate to admit that TSO has gotten a nice chunk of change from me. Just from watching Carson's (Hope I spelled that correctly) WOW video back some years ago. I went out and bought a couple of CDs. One year the wifey and I went to one of their concerts. A few years later one of our daughters joined us at another concert (on daddy's dime). Yet TSO can get real anal about videos posted on some of the video outlets.

Now if I had never seen that video of WOW, I might have never bought a CD or attended one of their concerts. Shame that their label does not understand this. And same can be said of Yule any any of the others.

Yep, TSO embraced it. Carson got back-stage passes to their show, and they got a lot of publicity over it. Similar thing with Cracker and LMFAO.

Some labels seem to "get it", while others don't.

I don't see the reasoning behind posting this on FB and here. Did you post it to all the other sites as well? If RH wanted to keep this out of the spotlight, you kinda ruined that, don't ya think? I think you're starting a panic where it's not warranted.

If you are a friend of RH, then I would recommend that you remove all posts related to this.

I would find it very hard to believe that these jokers would come after me for using their music in my display. We've already beat the licensing thing to death and we are all within our rights to play it and use it anyway we wish. As long as we are not making money off it.

I'm sure that there's more to this that RH can not get into publically.

I would speculate that this probably has to do with the money he did or didn't make and the exposure he got from posting that video. The record company wants their cut.

(my best Forrest Gump voice) And that's all I have to say bout that....

Sad thing is that they don't know how much free advertising they got from that video. His video is why I purchased the song. I wonder how many others purchased the song because of a video they saw

Edited by David Rise

I don't see the reasoning behind posting this on FB and here. Did you post it to all the other sites as well? If RH wanted to keep this out of the spotlight, you kinda ruined that, don't ya think? I think you're starting a panic where it's not warranted.

If you are a friend of RH, then I would recommend that you remove all posts related to this.

RH is aware of my post.

Sorry Tim,

Wasn't trying to be disrespecful or anything, but you know how folks are. This is probably been reposted multiple times by other members. Friggin thing will make the news in the next few days.....lol

another thing to think about is how many videos have lost the audio on you tube because of license matters. so one of them that has been on there for years gets the artist involved??????????????????

Why am I thinking this has more to do with the Valley Fair Mall Exibit and video than his home show and video.

We know that home displays are totally protected and if a label sues your going to win and they'll end up paying you. If they sue based on the YouTube video without following the DMCA take down notice they'll have problems as well based on fair use. Based on that I don't him being sued for his home display especially this long after posting.

Now the Valley Fair Mall display I think is a totally different issue. The mall would have to pay a performance fee and I'm betting they didn't. Richard should not be involved in that issue if his contract specified the mall had to pay those fees not him. If he didn't include that clause then both of them may be on the hook unless the mall is claiming they didn't know fees needed to be paid, not likely since the pay fees on the mall background music, or they thought the fees were included in Richards fee. I would expect that the label would go after the deep pockets which would be the mall. If this is the issue then it doesn't effect us so other than feeling sorry for Richard why should we care.

Now the Valley Fair Maul video is also a totally different issue. If you or I took the video and posted it that would be no different than any one posting a video of any out in the open public performance. The worst they could do to us is a takedown notice. Richards posting might be different because he developed the show so he may not have the fair use exception. Still I would expect a DMCA takedown notice would have to be filled before any legal action could be taken.

All that said, I may use the song just for spite.

Edited by Timon

Guest wbottomley
All that said, I may use the song just for spite.

And... help promote and sell more records. They appreciate narrow minds with no concept of reality.