Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB Nodes

ShayneT

Has anyone seen these?

http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/701799/209889132-314091359/12mm-through-hole-LED-channel-letter-DC5V-input-waterproof-0-1W-120degree-beam-angle-50pcs-a.html

They seem cheap enough but I am not sure if 0.1W is for the whole node or each color so the total is like others att 0.3W.

I appreciate any thoughts.

Shayne

Personally i would avoid using this type of pixel as it is not resin filled and so will have issues with water ingress. The price is also very low so im wondering what the quality would be like.

These are the ones i would be using
http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/701799/209889132-522237021/IP68-DC5V-input-12mm-through-hole-LED-channel-letter-RGB-color-50pcs-a-string.html

ShayneT wrote:

Has anyone seen these?

http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/701799/209889132-314091359/12mm-through-hole-LED-channel-letter-DC5V-input-waterproof-0-1W-120degree-beam-angle-50pcs-a.html

They seem cheap enough but I am not sure if 0.1W is for the whole node or each color so the total is like others att 0.3W.

Shayne

I think these are SEPERATE INDIVIDUAL nodes, they are not all tied together as one strand like those that edvas69 posted, which are 50 nodes that are interconnected.

So you'd have a lot of work adding wiring or having to solcer all those wires to make a working strand out them.

The reason I believe these are indivual nodes is because the photo is of a single node, not a strand of interconnected nodes like edvas69's link shows.

You've got to be careful, because some nodes are really sold in lots of individual disconneced RGB lighting, so if unsure and on that one, I'd be e-mailing the seller to see if they are an actual 50 node strand, or if they are actually individucal nodes you're going to have to solder together to make work as one strand.

I'm thinking about some of these later on, but looking at photo's and descriptions, it's not always clear if they are a strand of 50 or an individual. But I'm almost certain the ones you're looking at for the lowest price are individual units, again, not a fully assembled 50 node strand.

I am fairly certain it is 0.1 watt per light and judging from the wording on the site it is "50 per string" that would tell me they are connected to each other already. That wattage is also rated for the light at its maximum which is all white, this is created by turning on all 3 colour LED's. The total wattage for the string if all pixels were white would be 5 watts.

Orville wrote:

ShayneT wrote:
Has anyone seen these?

Shayne

I think these are SEPERATE INDIVIDUAL nodes, they are not all tied together as one strand like those that edvas69 posted, which are 50 nodes that are interconnected.

So you'd have a lot of work adding wiring or having to solcer all those wires to make a working strand out them.  

The reason I believe these are indivual nodes is because the photo is of a single node, not a strand of interconnected nodes like edvas69's link shows.

You've got to be careful, because some nodes are really sold in lots of individual disconneced RGB lighting, so if unsure and on that one, I'd be e-mailing the seller to see if they are an actual 50 node strand, or if they are actually individucal nodes you're going to have to solder together to make work as one strand.

I'm thinking about some of these later on, but looking at photo's and descriptions, it's not always clear if they are a strand of 50 or an individual.  But I'm almost certain the ones you're looking at for the lowest price are individual units, again, not a fully assembled 50 node strand.

These are in a 50 node string as what is stated in the description. The pictures are never a good example as many times they have been copied and pasted from other products.

The thing that makes these interesting is the 0.1watt claim and these may actually be rejects that have a lower wattage LED or they may be talking about 0.1watt per colour.

Either way regardless of the price i wouldnt be getting these as they will definetly need additional work to make them waterproof.

Thanks for all the great feedback. At the price of 2811 now it may just be worth going that route and just make the string one group and have the ability for individual control in future.

Shayne

Discotech24 wrote:

I am fairly certain it is 0.1 watt per light and judging from the wording on the site it is "50 per string" that would tell me they are connected to each other already. That wattage is also rated for the light at its maximum which is all white, this is created by turning on all 3 colour LED's. The total wattage for the string if all pixels were white would be 5 watts.

I still would not trust that as being accurate. I bought some LED's some years ago from an on-line site, stated 100 pcs per string, when I got them, they were individual LED's with wires soldered to each lead. What they were considering "a string" was the LED's were mounted on a mylar strip that was cut off a spool, the mylar strip also had a "string" running down it", therefore, there were 100 LED's to the string, but not the kind of string that carries electrical current! So I'm just saying, e-mail, ask questions and be sure you know what you're getting before spending your money.

So those nodes could be 50 individual pieces tied up by a piece of string, 50pcs/string. Just saying this could be taken in different ways, ask and be sure.

This is why I now e-mail sellers and ask specific questions about the product to be absolutely sure of what I would be getting before buying, even then, you may still end up with something other than what you thought.

Too many times, the description in the header of a product may be incorrectly stated, and you don't get what you think you're going to get. And sometimes, returns or refunds aren't accepted, so you're stuck with what you got.

Orville wrote:

Discotech24 wrote:

I still would not trust that as being accurate. I bought some LED's some years ago from an on-line site, stated 100 pcs per string, when I got them, they were individual LED's with wires soldered to each lead. What they were considering "a string" was the LED's were mounted on a mylar strip that was cut off a spool, the mylar strip also had a "string" running down it", therefore, there were 100 LED's to the string, but not the kind of string that carries electrical current! So I'm just saying, e-mail, ask questions and be sure you know what you're getting before spending your money.

So those nodes could be 50 individual pieces tied up by a piece of string, 50pcs/string. Just saying this could be taken in different ways, ask and be sure.

This is why I now e-mail sellers and ask specific questions about the product to be absolutely sure of what I would be getting before buying, even then, you may still end up with something other than what you thought.

Too many times, the description in the header of a product may be incorrectly stated, and you don't get what you think you're going to get. And sometimes, returns or refunds aren't accepted, so you're stuck with what you got.

This is a Ray Wu product. Ray is really good about answering questions - if he's awake you'll probably get an answer within the hour.

I seriously doubt this is anything but what it says it is: A string of 50 'dumb' RGB nodes. I've ordered a string of 128 12V 'dumb' nodes with him and was very happy with the quality.

Ray is good about it. I have now 16 smart strips, 2 which had bad connections on the chips so only parts worked. He didnt refund but discounted those 2 strips cost in terms of a discount for my next order. Which was also made quickly.

Correct, those are not 'smart' pixels, the entire string will light the same color, and you get only 7 different colors to choose from using different combinations of the R, G, and B input leads.

jstjohnz wrote:

and you get only 7 different colors to choose from using different combinations of the R, G, and B input leads.

Not at all - you should get the same number of colors as any other RGB string. It will just be on an "entire string" basis instead of an individual pixel.

Ray is everyones friend. If you need DIY anything that comes out of China he is your best friend and you dont know it. He ships fast, address concerns fast, and if you have a custom order he can make custom products for you. Once again this is DIY stuff. If you cant assemble, program, or wire up something without the worry of it not working not the way to go. LOR has the products worked out that are user friendly.

• 3 months later...

I have purchased a lot from Ray and his customer service is great.. however, you need to be technically diligent.. I have had a few things come from his store that were not as advertised.

I bought a load of power supplies from him for a job that were supposed to be UL listed according to the picture... When they arrived, they were not UL listed... When I asked he researched and told me that they may have even of had a UL mark but are not actually UL listed. (mine didn't even have the UL mark).. In China lots of things are stated that are not so.. it was very forthcoming of Ray to step up with that information when asked. He offered a discount for my entire order to help make it right.. I declined the discount because of his honesty and communication and told him the reason why. (it was worth more then the money)

There was another issue with DMX to RGB controllers. The ad said they were 4 amp per channel when in reality they are only 2 amps per channel. Turns out they stopped making the 4 amp version but the ad was not changed. Again, Ray talked to his engineer and came back to me with the bad news... He offered to make it right.. and he did. He also changed his add right away.

He sells a lot of products and can't keep up on them all it seems.. but if you ask him a question, he does not have a problem answering honestly.. at least for me anyway. I still buy from him and trust him. Anyone can have issues, it is how they deal with those issues that sets them apart from the rest. Ray is tops in my opinion.

What Rgb strips are people buying from him? I can't seem to find the post. I know people were saying what they all use.

You will find that most are buying the 2811 strip as the price is ridiculously low

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/5m-led-digital-strip-DC12V-input-WS2811IC-256-scale-10pcs-IC-and-30pcs-5050-SMD-RGB/701799_568458133.html

But remember if your not very good with DIY then the CCR may be a better option

If looking for dumb strip then this is what is normally bought from ray

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/DC12V-5m-one-roll-5050-SMD-30LEDs-m-led-strip-waterproof-by-silicon-tube-IP66/701799_587735379.html

or this

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/5m-one-roll-5050-SMD-30LEDs-m-led-strip-waterproof-by-silicon-tubing-and-coating-RGB/701799_329544925.html

Edited by edvas69