Light-O-Rama Forums

Can the Cosmic Color Floods emulate a Black Light?

Guest guest

Okay, after reading about Cosmic Color Floods, bulbs, pixels and other RGB devices, I now have to ask, since these things are supposedly capable of millions of colors, maybe more.

How well do they or can they emulate a black light? Especially the floods.

Why do I ask, well since I do a Halloween Display and many of my props have "black light enhanced" paint on them, Glow in the Dark phosphorous paint that glows under a black light {pink, green, white, yellow and orange are colors I've used}.

I'd just like to know if these can also emulate that same type lighting to give the same eerie glowing effect on props painted with this type of paint.

Anyone even try this, or know if it's possible?

It would sure make lighting my tombstones up easier, I tried standard black light floodlamps and have had them literally burst apart, no fun picking up all the glass shards and trying to get the remnants out of a floodlamp holder either.

I just figure if these cosmic color RGB devices can emulate every color of the spectrum {supposedly}, then they should be able to emulate a black light or can they?

Hoping someone has tried this, tested it out with the glow in the dark type paints and has a video or photographs somewhere showing how well it worked, or didn't work.

Well that blows. I figured since there are now Black Light LED Bulbs:

http://www.bing.com/shopping/black-light-led-light-bulb-with-fixture/p/E1FC80FEA14CF3C45012?q=black+light+led+bulbs&lpq=black%20light%20led%20bulbs&FORM=HURE

That an RGB LED *WOULD* have been capable of doing this, since there are black light LED's out there and are just "another" color, as I've not seen one that truly emulates a black light like a regular black light works. {which I already knew how they work, been using them for years}. Just was hoping that the new RGB LEDs could emulate one at least to where it would get the black light glow in the dark paint to glow under its output.

Emulate does not mean it will do exactly the same thing as the original, but come somewhat close enough to recreate the same effect a black light would do.

So looks like RGB LED's are useless for this task then. At least I won't be spending any money on any only to be disappointed they won't do this.

And here's what the black light LED looks like: {looks to me like just a bunch of purplish colored LED's that emulate a black light, but maybe there is something different about these LED's, but I haven't found anything on them as yet}.

So has anyone used or tried any of these "Black Light LED" fixtures?

Attached files 318292=17353-Black Light LED.jpg

Orville wrote:

Well that blows.

That was pretty much my response when I looked to do the same thing a couple of years ago.

Purple LED's are one thing but a black light produces UV light. A regular RGB LED can not create such a thing without a special bulb type. I know they make UV LED's and Im certain a 120V base setup will work. To how effective they are outside with ambient light around them I do not know.

Thanks guys, I did go and do some research that I could find on black light LED's, they aren't nowhere as good or even close to a standard flourescent black light bulb.

I guess I'm just going to have to figure out some way to make a waterproof/weatherproof housing, and use the standard flourescent tubes.

They do work the best, so looke like I'm stuck with the old standard on this one, as the new technology doesn't seem to have caught up with this part of it yet. LOL

• 3 weeks later...

I bought some LED Black Light style flood lamps on ebay for my Halloween display and love them. They work very well and allow me to focus the light on a Graveyard sign that I painted with fluorescent paint.

Since they are LED also you can turn them off and on but not dim.

You can see mine in action at 4:05 in this video.

• The topic was locked