Light-O-Rama Forums

Cosmic Color Pixel Questions

callycoon

I am looking to get into the RGB frenzy this year. I am leaning toward the CCP's because the length works better for my set-up and had some questions

1. Can CCP's do similar things as the CCR? (ex. fades, morphs etc.)

2. Do I need to upgrade and get superstar to sequence? (current - 3.4 Basic)

3. If I purchase one set will it only take up one LOR controller channel or do the two strands plug in two different channels

4. Are there any good videos out that show the capabilities of the CCP's in action

callycoon wrote:

I am looking to get into the RGB frenzy this year. I am leaning toward the CCP's because the length works better for my set-up and had some questions

1. Can CCP's do similar things as the CCR? (ex. fades, morphs etc.) YES

2. Do I need to upgrade and get superstar to sequence? (current - 3.4 Basic) You don't need Superstar to program any CCD. I believe that if you go over two controllers total you'll need to upgrade, though.

3. If I purchase one set will it only take up one LOR controller channel or do the two strands plug in two different channels Each CCD (CCR,CCB,CCP) comes with it's own controller. They do not use any conventional channels.

4. Are there any good videos out that show the capabilities of the CCP's in action UNKNOWN (by me) since it's a new product for LOR, but the internet is full of videos of how similar products perform.

I need to clarify question 3. Does the plug of the CCP's still connect to the LOR controller or is it connected via CAT5?

callycoon wrote:

I need to clarify question 3. Does the plug of the CCP's still connect to the LOR controller or is it connected via CAT5?

The CCP's have their own controller. You won't connect it to a 'regular' (ctb16pc) controller at all.

It would be connected via CAT5 cable to the rest of your controllers.

Sorry for the questions, I am a new to RGB and I am trying to get a grasp of the process before I get my CCP's and start to pull my hair out tinkering with them.

So if I understand correctly, the CTB16PC controller and the CCP controller have no hard line connection to eachther at all. (CAT5 or power cord)

Are the CAT5 connections in the CCP controller just to daisy chain multiple RGB devices?

Is the CCP controller just plugged into a 120 V outlet to supply its power? (As opposed to a CTB16PC controller channel)

If my assumption is correct is the sequence editor the means of how they are synced? Meaning do I just sequence the CCP strands according to my media files currently in my show and then import the CCP sequence to incorporate them to my current .LMS files?

callycoon wrote:
So if I understand correctly, the CTB16PC controller and the CCP controller have no hard line connection to eachther at all. (CAT5 or power cord)

The CTB16PC and CCP controllers may be in the same cat 5 daisy chain, or they may be connected to separate USB adapters in their own daisy chains.

callycoon wrote:
Are the CAT5 connections in the CCP controller just to daisy chain multiple RGB devices?

Exactly. The CCP controllers just daisy chain into al LOR network just like any other LOR controller.

callycoon wrote:
Is the CCP controller just plugged into a 120 V outlet to supply its power? (As opposed to a CTB16PC controller channel)

The CCP controller just plugs into your standard wall outlet, via whatever extension cord is needed.

callycoon wrote:
If my assumption is correct is the sequence editor the means of how they are synced? Meaning do I just sequence the CCP strands according to my media files currently in my show and then import the CCP sequence to incorporate them to my current .LMS files?

The CCP can be sequenced right in the sequence editor along with everyting else in your sequence.

If you do elect to use superstar, you would do the portions you elect to do in super star there, and import those portions into the sequence editor, saving it in your LMS file.

Take a look at this: http://syncxmas.com/KU2fer

Replace the words "CCR" with "CCP" and it's the same thing. Those green lines in the graphic are CAT5 cable. All controllers on your network need to be connected with CAT5 cable.

The CCP Controller has its own power cord, and would plug into a wall socket just like your other controllers.

You would use the LOR SE (Sequence Editor) to program the CCP's just as you would CCR's or other RGB devices.

Just out of curiosity. What are the biggest advantages of using Superstar? If I am just starting with one set of CCP's would it be worth the upgrade?

Most of the features of super star are to support a pixel matrix, or a half mega tree arrangement. With only a string or two, or more strings, but not as a matrix or tree, I would probably not make use of super star.

Thanks for help guys. It is really making it easy for me making the transition.

One more question. If I were to get a CMB-16D-QC board http://store.lightorama.com/cmdedcca2.html

and a couple of these dumb strips

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-5M-RGB-5050-SMD-150-led-strip-light-waterproof-12V-/220908832539?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336f31471b

Can I go from Dumb strip and CMB-16D QC board to CCP contoller via CAT5, then to CTB16PC using the CAT5 as well?

Will all this work with a CTB16PC controller or would I need to purchase a second?

Right now I have all channels used : (see channel rundown below)

1 - 8 coro singing pumpkin

9-14 blowmold and carved pumpkins

15 - three strands of incandescent lights

16 - two flood lights

Thanks again for the advice/help

Chris

In my short experience with Superstar, I think it's easier to program the CCDs. That is, once you figure out the nuances of the program. You can program a whole string with one morph or scene. The only thing I found bad, is coming up with different things to put in without repeating too much. I'm using 1CCP this year. I was going to use 3, but finances would not allow it. I planned a little more than I could do.
Welcome to the wonderful world of flashy, blinky lights and have fun.

• 4 weeks later...

In my short experience with Superstar, I think it's easier to program the CCDs. That is, once you figure out the nuances of the program. You can program a whole string with one morph or scene. The only thing I found bad, is coming up with different things to put in without repeating too much. I'm using 1CCP this year. I was going to use 3, but finances would not allow it. I planned a little more than I could do.

Welcome to the wonderful world of flashy, blinky lights and have fun.

Correction, I now have 2 CCPs. Yay Me! :)

The LOR controllers all can daisy chain together. Doesn't matter if they are PC, DC or LMNOP. The DC controllers will run the 12 volt RGB ribbon and they will run from the same sequence editor. Just remember, DC controllers and pixels, strings, ribbons, ect need a 12 volt power source that will be seperate from the controllers.

Scott

Just a point of clarification (sorry if i'm mis-interpreting your statement.) The LOR CCP, CCB, and I assume the CCR(never used one) have their own internal power supply, so you provide the 120 VAC and they will drive the pixels.

... and I assume the CCR(never used one) have their own internal power supply, ...

The CCR is shipped with an external "brick" power supply.

If it's appropriate for your display (e.g. you're running a mobile truck/boat display with a hefty 12v battery), you can run all your 12VDC devices from the same supply.

• 2 weeks later...

Its getting late in the season, and I am still no closer to getting my CCR working to its full show of what it can do, I have attempted to do leaping arches, but failed also just to get it run with colours from one end to the other and back. I seriously need some tips and a lot of help to get it to preform. I have read the book and not got any further to understanding how it all works with marcos and pixels. Any and all help with this PLEASE PLEASE :wacko:

I can't help you at all with macros, I would be willing to try and help you with programing them manually. To make the CCRs work as an arch, do a chase. Just like a "normal" arch, only think of it as having 50 section instead of 7 or 8. To adjust colors you have to expand the "channel" so you see the red green blue, then mix in the percentage of each to get the color you want. PM me with specific question.

Again, I don't use macros, so I can't help you with that.

I don't use macros either but I can send you some samples if you want.

Take a look at the videos and let me know

Thanks for help guys. It is really making it easy for me making the transition.

One more question. If I were to get a CMB-16D-QC board http://store.lightor.../cmdedcca2.html

and a couple of these dumb strips

http://www.ebay.com/...=item336f31471b

Can I go from Dumb strip and CMB-16D QC board to CCP contoller via CAT5, then to CTB16PC using the CAT5 as well? yes

Will all this work with a CTB16PC controller or would I need to purchase a second? the ccp and cmb-16d-qc goes right inline with the ctb16pc looks like you don't need a second ctb16pc controller

Right now I have all channels used : (see channel rundown below)

1 - 8 coro singing pumpkin

9-14 blowmold and carved pumpkins

15 - three strands of incandescent lights

16 - two flood lights

Thanks again for the advice/help

Chris

• The topic was locked