Light-O-Rama Forums

how many lights do you use on mini trees

Guest Don Gillespie

Guest Don Gillespie

How many lights do you normally put on a mini tree, the reason I am asking is so I can be ready for the pre sales in Jan. keep in mind I am going with four colors RGBW so the mini trees will be about three feet in hieght I plan on fifty of them just wanting to know the count for a decent looking mini tree.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jimswinder

• -klb-

• jim6918

• David Rise

Guest Don Gillespie

they will definatly be LEDS I am thinking of doing 12 in white, 12 in Red, 12 in Green and 12 in Blue that way I can save on channels and still get the results I am looking for

My mini tree is 3' tall and has 200 incans on it. I also wrap mine with garland for a better appearance in the day. With the four colors, the wires will cover the structure pretty good I would guess for a better appearance in the day.

Attached files 290250=16054-tree lit.jpg

I used 2ea, 70 count strings. So 140 lights per color. My profile pic shows the final result.

They are actually a lot brighter than what the picture shows.

On my incand mini trees 36" tomato cages I used 600 lights. I converted the blue trees to LED this year and beleive that I could have cut the number down to 500 or even possibly 400. The blue M6 from CDI are brilliant.
I'll be honest, I don't know how some of you get away with 100 lights on a mini tree. Sure not the effect I am looking for, but to each his own.

OK. so I can't read worth a damn this morning, I now see 100 of each color, that makes more sense. LOL

I originally had 1120 lights on my first mini tree. That was with a very tight wrap. I didn't have enough lights to do 6 mini trees that way.
So went with a loose wrap, only using 2 70 count strings per color (4 colors), just so I could get all 6 trees wrapped.

They are more than bright enough and using half the lights.

I am going to be rebuilding the red (6 trees) and clear (12 trees) sometime in early 2012 to nearly complete my LED conversion. I am going to start out with 400 and see how they look. AT $15/set of 100, there is no point in over doing it. If it wouldnt be such a pain in the butt, I would unstring my blue trees down to 500.

Guest Don Gillespie

So basically everyone is wrapping their mini trees with all four colors, that means (if I am doing my math properly) Iam going to need 4 cases of each color to do 48 mini trees 36 inches in height, and according to Santa (my wife) I haven't been very good this year, must come up with a couple grand to fullfill my wish, Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm what to do.

Don Gillespie wrote:

and according to Santa (my wife) I haven't been very good this year, must come up with a couple grand to fullfill my wish, Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm what to do.
I only see one choice...

get rid of the wife... :P

Don Gillespie wrote:

then the question M5s or 5ms what does everyone use?
I have M5's...but have often thought the 5mm would be better to use when wrapping...especially arches...

Guest Don Gillespie

jimswinder wrote:

Don Gillespie wrote:
and according to Santa (my wife) I haven't been very good this year, must come up with a couple grand to fullfill my wish, Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm what to do.
I only see one choice...

get rid of the wife... :P

I thought about that but I know all you guys would turn me in and then divy up my display and contollers ;) besides shes tougher than I am LOL

Guest Don Gillespie

jimswinder wrote:

Don Gillespie wrote:
then the question M5s or 5ms what does everyone use?
I have M5's...but have often thought the 5mm would be better to use when wrapping...especially arches...

I was looking at the 5Ms thinking why wouldn't they work, a lot of money to spend taking a chance on them when I know the M5s will work, anyone else use the 5Ms as opposed to the M5s??

Don Gillespie wrote:

I was looking at the 5Ms thinking why wouldn't they work, a lot of money to spend taking a chance on them when I know the M5s will work, anyone else use the 5Ms as opposed to the M5s??
Sometimes Paul, knowing you are looking at a big investment, will send you out a sample so you can see how they might work...

For the city show, our mini tree frames are 36" tall, and 18" wide. They get full 360 wrap with 4 color 5mm concave lights. The strings are bundled up in advance, with wire ties to either side of the light cluster. Then these are wrapped with each turn in contact with the last turn. So each of our 20 mini trees has 500 of each color on it, and is wrapped to usually 3 inches from the bottom of the frame. Though ones wrapped in warmer temperatures may be higher, and cooler temps may be lower. These look pretty darn good by day, as they look like green cones with lots of little green needles sticking out.

But, I would be hard pressed to talk myself into 8 of them for my home display. Let alone the numbers you are talking. Also depending on your frames, a skinnier tree won't take nearly as many. And, nobody really needs mini trees that can be seen from space anyway.