Light-O-Rama Forums

crazy thing happening on the way to powering up

Denise Brunner

Yesterday I set up one of the two large mega trees. Hooked up the 64 channel controller that I built, finding one board dead. Since it was dark and I would have to be working upside down (of course top board facing down) I waited to this morning to reset the board. Pulled the jumper, repowered and got the fast flash from the LED. Powered down, put the jumper in and re powered. Now goes the slow flash. When to hardware controller and it says the board is an unknown device. So I reset the board again and this time with jumper removed I got no flashing (powered). Placed the jumper back in place and re powered again. Now hardware controller finds it fine. WHY ???? Am I going to have to a problem with this board??? Advise..... in case all you guy forgot the season is approuching !!!

Guest wbottomley

There's nothing wrong to begin with. Sometimes the HU will find units but not properly identify them. A bug in software 3.0.0 was identified and correct with 3.0.2.

To sum it up... the HU didn't read the firmware correctly and thus unknown device had shown up.

Don't think its a software issue at all. Just got back from getting the family donuts for breakfast and the board does not work again. LED not lit. Powered down, pulled the jumper and re powered. No LED. Re powered, no LED. and no operational board. Any ideas before I yank the board ?????

Guest Don Gillespie

Denise Brunner wrote:

Don't think its a software issue at all. Just got back from getting the family donuts for breakfast and the board does not work again. LED not lit. Powered down, pulled the jumper and re powered. No LED. Re powered, no LED. and no operational board. Any ideas before I yank the board ?????

Denise are the new boards the G3 controllers or the DIY boards my HWU will not recogonize my new G3 controllers so I like you I am thinking of upgrading to S3 if the boards are DIY then I am of no use to you as I have the G3 controllers fully assembled.

No these are G2 controllers that I purchase last winter. It worked this summer. Even with the Cat5 disconnected I get no LED on one controller. Its something with that one controller.

Attached files 277984=15410-64 channel controller.jpg

uh oh, sounds like a BIG problem, D, why dont you send that whole box to me, I'll send you four of my boxes, duct taped very neatly, of course.. even better idea, I'll FLY to you to pick them up.. meet me at EWR in.. oh... half hour? :D VBG!!!

Here is a totally off the wall thought that might lead to something. Since the problem controller is the one that is facign downward. Might try pressing on the socketed chips to see if they are seated well. Stranger things happen and with it hanging upside down, and any sharp movement COULD cause the chip to not be seated well. Since this is intermittent.

The flashing of the LED is controlled via the processor and in particular this is the chip I am thinking MAY be not making connection.

Chuck

cmoore60 wrote:

Here is a totally off the wall thought that might lead to something. Since the problem controller is the one that is facign downward. Might try pressing on the socketed chips to see if they are seated well. Stranger things happen and with it hanging upside down, and any sharp movement COULD cause the chip to not be seated well. Since this is intermittent.

The flashing of the LED is controlled via the processor and in particular this is the chip I am thinking MAY be not making connection.

Chuck

that sounds like a real possibility since it is intermittent,,loose connection loose fuse

I believe the problem is a power connection, only had a few seconds to look at it today, but when I moved the power connection it started to flash. Will hopefully will have more time tomorrow.

OK, have found the problem. I appears that the push on connectors I used have oxidized over time and making intermittent connections, thus causing the controller work and not work. I was lucky enough to realize this by poking my fingers into the controller with power on and seeing the LED go on then stay off when I moved the connector around. Rewired today and so far so good...

Night all !!

Denise

Denise Brunner wrote:

..I was lucky enough to realize this by poking my fingers into the controller with power on and seeing the LED go on then stay off when I moved the connector around.

[align=center]Good god luv, are ya nuts?? :shock:

PLEEEEEZE tell us you woz 'least wearin' rubber gloves when ya did this!![/align]

Next I suspect you'll be tellin' us you was standin' in a puddle o' water too!! Ya gots ta be more careful! We cant afford ta lose any Forum members! Yer avatar looks like yer an EMT.. can you do CPR on yerself yet??

Attached files 278913=15448-KidStickingKnifeinElectricSocket.jpg

EMT for over 30 years... all volunteer. Yes I had my hands in a hot controller while standing on wet grass. I was careful though. No never done CPR on myself. Done it plenty of times on other people. Want to let me practice on ya ???