Light-O-Rama Forums

Alright Guru's

Jason Burge

I have two new ctb-16-pc boards (solder kits) and one of them is not acting right. When I connected the controller the the usb adapter the red led immediately went to solid on, but the HWU couldn't find it. After a few tries the HWU did find it but for some reason when I try to change the id I get an error message that says unable to locate unit.......Alright I just checked and the board is working in the HWU but I am still unable to change the id somehow it got set to 2 and it seems perfectly happy there.:(

Any suggestions?

The more I look at this the more i think its not a problem with the pc controller, because everything is working fine with the controller. When I try to use the comm port auto configure an error comes up and says unable to locate the Light-o-rama port. Hmmmmm

See how it behaves plugged into the other RJ-45 jack.

Check that the 8 pin chip is inserted correctly, and that all the solder points on it, the CPU, and the RJ-45 jacks are solid.

Try a different cable, if you have not..

Try swapping the 8 pin chip with one from another controller that is working.

Unable to locate the lightorama port just indicates that it is not receiving an answer from the controller, just like all the other issues. If you have another controller, check if it autoconfigures correctly or not. If you don't have access to another one, try the steps above, then build out the other controller, and see how it behaves.

-klb- wrote:

Unable to locate the lightorama port just indicates that it is not receiving an answer from the controller, just like all the other issues. If you have another controller, check if it autoconfigures correctly or not. If you don't have access to another one, try the steps above, then build out the other controller, and see how it behaves.

Thanks for the tips.

Ok I just tried another controller and everything worked like it is supposed to. I have tried both rj-45 jacks and get the same result on both, so I will keep looking for whatever else it may be.

Here's the latest and the greatest... I kind of feel like an idiot right now because after looking a little harder I found out why it wasn't working right... The controller sends and receives signals a lot better when ALL of the pins on the RJ-45 jacks are soldered-OOPS somehow I missed one pin on each of the two jacks. So back to the old soldering iron and I bet this thing will be running in no time.:dude:
And thanks -KLB- for making me look a little harder

Don't feel bad, I've had problems with misbehaving optos that mysteriously flip themselves around on the board after soldering..very frustrating...:)

Glad to hear this was a simple one.