Light-O-Rama Forums

Unknown Device ???? message

jim6918

I sincerely apologize if this has been asked and answered, but I did a search and couldn't find anything relevant.

I just finished a single CTB16PCg3 controller (partially assembled). This is/will be the only G3 controller I have. Still using Version 2.9.4.

I manually set the unit ID to 8. The HU finds a device, but I get the message 08-Unknown Device???? after repeated refreshes. I can light test all 16 channels but concerned since I have never seen this message before.

Do you need Ver 3 software to run a G3 controller??? Or is something else wrong?

-klb- wrote:

You can run a gen3 controller with S2, but only the S3 hardware utility will recognize it.

OK, will there be any particular effect when you play a sequence?

-klb- wrote:

I have not tested it, but my understanding is that there should be zero issues with a S2 show and gen 3 hardware.

Great, Am I breaking new ground here?

There are probably a number of users doing it, who have not reported back with findings. This is at least the third report I am aware of relating to S2 HW utility not kowing what a Gen 3 controller was.

-klb- wrote:

There are probably a number of users doing it, who have not reported back with findings. This is at least the third report I am aware of relating to S2 HW utility not kowing what a Gen 3 controller was.

I am willing to bet that there will be additional errors in the Verifier too.

I hadn't planned on upgrading to S3 until after the end of the 2011 shows.

Makes me wonder if the LOR_DeviceFile was updated in 2.9.4 with the correct entries if it would find the Gen 3 controller. I don't have a Gen 3 card so I can't test it.

I do know if I did have a Gen 3 card, this would bug me enough to try to find a fix as it did in the prior thread listed.

TJ Hvasta wrote:

And assuming you have a Standard(or higher) license, you should be ok with Unit address 8..

I have an Advanced license. I really was trying to avoid D/L S3, just so as to avoid any temptation to tinker with my existing sequences for 2011 with new features in S3. I got too much other stuff to do in the next 30 days. Come January however, thats another story.

Then just remember that unit 8 (unknown device) is the new Gen 3 controller when using the Hardware Utility in 2.9.4