Light-O-Rama Forums

Whole House Transmitter

Rick Childers

I have been doing this since 2007, but this is the first year that I have actually had enough time to actually get it done to music, I hope. I am gong to be using the Whole House Transmitter 2.0, does anyone have tips for getting the best transmission? I am going to be away for the next few hours, I have to take my wife to a nice dinner for buying me three blow mold snowmen, and letting me buy a nice LED snow man yesterday.

If you haven't already purchased the Whole House Transmitter you may want to consider buying an EDM. I bought the WH transmitter last year and did not like the results. I picked up an EDM about a month ago and it tested much better then the Whole House Transmitter ever did.

I have had it for a year now. I intended to use it last year, but did not get everything ready in time. How much is the EDM? I am already so far over my light budget it is ridiculous.

You can shop for EDMs here...

http://www.edmdesign.com/orders.html

To answer your original question about getting the best sound out of the Whole House ... Have you already picked out the FM channel you want to broadcast on. The WH came with instructions on how to cut the antenna to the proper length for the channel you've chosen. Then there's the booster switch that's located under the batteries. Otherwise I'd try and get the antenna located as high and close to the street as possible. Mine seemed to work fine right outside the house but would fade as soon as you were more than fifty or sixty feet away. I had mine located at a front window. Hope that helps.

I bought a WHT, worked with their tech support to milk every last bit of power out of it and still could not reach the street. Went to BlackBoxMobile Eclipse 4000.

Ok, so you went with an E4000 and so have I. But they no longer offer this transmitter. So, saying you have a transmitter that no one else can purchase is not really helpful. Unless you say "well I didnt have any luck with the WH transmitter and I got a E4000 but they are no long available."

All I can tell you OP, is what I have seen posted here over the past several years. 98% of the people who purchased a WH are not satisfied with this transmitter. Yes, it is FCC legal unlike many of the other transmitters. But no, its range is so sucky that you need to mount it out near the street in order for it to do the job you want it to do. Sounds like a few have done just that. Seems that the two transmitters that are what many people are using is either one of the Ramsey or EDM transmitters.

Someone asked "Why dont I see much talk about the WH transmitters?" My reply to him was to the effect of. Dont see much talk about this transmitter is that there is not much to say about it.

Max-Paul wrote:

All I can tell you OP, is what I have seen posted here over the past several years. 98% of the people who purchased a WH are not satisfied with this transmitter.

I wish you'd be a bit more precise Max... you know darn well that it's closer to 99% of all people who've bought one who are dis-satisfied. Quit trying to sugar coat things, would you? :):D

George Simmons wrote:

Max-Paul wrote:
All I can tell you OP, is what I have seen posted here over the past several years. 98% of the people who purchased a WH are not satisfied with this transmitter.

I wish you'd be a bit more precise Max... you know darn well that it's closer to 99% of all people who've bought one who are dis-satisfied. Quit trying to sugar coat things, would you? :):D

I will say that I am 100 percent happy with my wht,,,,,,,,happy I did not buy one

I can see that this is easy to summarize. I bought a piece of Sh!+, and should find my way to a real transmitter ASAP! I really hope I can say Sh!+ on the forum :cool:. Payday is in 8 days, guess what I am buying. . .

I am the 1 %. I have had no problems with the WHT. I have the gold and the black model. I get great reception in front of the house and within a block. That is all I need.

I just got a WHT 2.0 Friday for a project I am doing. I have a gold version for my own display and have been happy with the distance on got from it so I purchased the 2.0 version since I did not under any circumstances needed anything with any major power. The project to about 500' from a major hospital and did not want to tempt fate pushing any signal into the hospital grounds. I tested the 2.0 version after I got it friday both at my office and on site. They cut the antenna to like 4" and it sucks royally. 50' from the trasnmitter and I was getting static. I tested my gold edition and the range is much farther than the new 2.0 WHT. Purchased a MBB V6000 Friday night....so we'll see what happens when that gets here

I'll put my 2 cents in...I purchased a gold edition whole house transmitter 2 years ago...and while it my not have the range and clarity of an EDM, It has worked just fine for me. I extended the antenna to 110" long which makes it a full wave antenna. I put the transmitter outside in a zip lock bag and ran the antenna around my picture window j-channel. I can pick up my show 2 full blocks from my house with some static, and very clear at 1/2 block away. As far as I'm concerned anyone whos going to watch my show will be directly in front of my house which has great reception. The quality of the sound isn't perfect as there is a slight hum in between songs and the bass might not be great but it works fine for me.

Has anyone heard anything (good or bad) about the Range Star CZH-05B FM transmitter? I'm a newbie looking for a good transmitter that is inexpensive.

Tom Clapper wrote:

The quality of the sound isn't perfect as there is a slight hum in between songs and the bass might not be great but it works fine for me.

Tom, regarding your comment above, a thought comes to mind. In many cases, the hum is 60 Hz, and if it is coming from the power line (instead of internal to the transmitter), it can be greatly reduced.

If your transmitter uses a "wall wart" ac to dc adapter, wrap about 6 turns of the wire around the adapter at the point where the wire comes out of the adapter. Put a zip tie or glue to keep the wire in place. Of course this shortens the length of the adapter power cord and you mind need an extension cord if your outlet isn't near the transmitter, but you might be surprised by the reduction in hum. That is usually the source of the problem. I thought I had a photo of this somewhere, but I can't find it now. If I do find it, I will post it.

The only draw back to the V6000 is that it is a mono audio, not stero. Sorry not trying to rain on your parade. Just letting others who read this thread, know that it has this limitation. But the one nice thing about the V6000 is that it has adjustable power setting that the E4000 does not have. But the E4000 is no longer in production.

big_dog_501 wrote:

Has anyone heard anything (good or bad) about the Range Star CZH-05B FM transmitter? I'm a newbie looking for a good transmitter that is inexpensive.

If I am not mistaken, that transmitter is made by Vastelec.

If I am right, they are notorious for packaging their China made transmitter under different brand names and using different internet distribution channels that they can easily shut down and avoid any complaints or warranty returns.

It is an inexpensive transmitter without very good harmonic suppresion (think frequency splatter).

It has more power then is legal in the US, and ......

I'll stop. It is an inexpensive transmitter.

Just my opinion, based on what I've heard about the CZH-05B FM transmitter, being sold under multiple different brand names on different web sites.

John is right on the CZH.

Its more power than is leagel.
Its cheap

I bought one
and it works liek a dream for me!

I picked a channel that was free and clear, I made sure it was open just above and below my frequency. I kept the antenna small, and fairly deep within my house.
I get about 2 -3 blocks coverage.