Light-O-Rama Forums

Soldering board, wrong color resistor networks

WiggyHD

In positions R1, R15, R16, R18, and R19, there are (Pictured in the instructions) yellow resistor networks, however, in my kit, I have four black ones instead of yellow. Is this normal? I assume the are the same with the exception of the color. I used the only yellow one (8X-2-472) in position R1. The black ones are marked 8B471G. The 471 is right, but I wanted to make sure it is right here before soldering.

THANKS!
Mark

The four of a kind go vertically around the edges. The different one goes sideways across the top, closer to centerline.

If you can read the part numbers, they should confirm it.

Thanks! This is my first one, and I wanted verification first. The ones pictured in the instructions are all yellow which is what threw me off.

Mark

DonFL wrote:

Definitely go by part number, not color...in all cases. Your kit also should have a separate sheet listing the typical part substutions also.

The 471 is the same, but that is it. I can't find a part number substitution list.

Mark

If this is a recent kit, there was a sheet in mine that mentioned the resistor packs changed. Just be cautious of the dot on the end and match it up on the board. Like others have said, there is 4 of one kind and one of another. The ones I just built were black too. All before this were the yellow/beige ones.

The substitution list is shown below.

On the PC kits, there is not an issue with resistor network orientation...either way works.

If you build one of the CTB16K kits with the added features, there is one additional resistor network where orientation is important.

Edit: well gee, that jpeg came thru nicely. here it is in pdf.

Attached files sublist_0001.pdf

It is the same value resistor, so it is fine, the color is just a different manufacturer. The 471 is the key. The first two digits in a resistor value are the significant figures with the last digit being the power 10, or number of zeros after the significant digits. So 47 with one zero after it would be 470 ohms. This is the correct value for the resistor networks.