Light-O-Rama Forums

CCR Colors Differ from 2 different purchase times

CLD Kevin

I bought 5 CCRs during the Spring/Overstock whatever you call it sale (March 2011)...then, I purchased 2 more CCRs for the Summer sale. The colors on the ribbon from my earlier purchase are different from the ones I just received. Its not the controller...doesnt matter if I'm using the older or new one. The Red looks brighter on the new ribbon. Green and Blue are the same. Just using those 3 colors is no biggie, but when mixing colors, you can really tell the difference. Its like those 2 ribbons were sequenced to a different light intensity...probably due to the red being brighter. Because they are going to be close to each other...its going to stand out. And one of my pixels on the new ribbon is burned out...but that is warranty problem. Probably nothing I can do beside changing out the 5 ribbons with new ones or changing the intensity of those 2 ribbons (don’t have the time nor do I want too).

Is there anything else I can do?

Kevin

BTW...the newer ribbon red looks much better...the red is brighter. I always thought the red on the CCRs I bought in March seem a little dull. I had to change the intensity on some colors because the "standard" color mix didn’t look correct. Like Orange is 100% red and 50% green...but when I use these settings, it looks like a dull Yellow. I had to move the green down to 30%. I only notice this when mixing with Red. Maybe I got a bad batch?

Added:

I just found another burnt out pixel on one of the ribbins I bought in March...would LOR warranty this? Stupid me, I didnt unroll them when I check to make sure they worked.

I've been using some RGB LED wall washing units for years. When one failed after about 2 years, the replacement unit (brand new, same model) was much brighter and more saturated looking than the remaining 2 old units.

If this is going to happen with the CCRs, then it might make sense to buy all that you will need in one purchase, and add a few extras. Then, each year, make sure you rotate through them, so they "wear" evenly and you don't have a big color delta when it comes time to replace a CCR.

Yikes, that could be expensive...

D.T.

DownTown wrote:

I've been using some RGB LED wall washing units for years. When one failed after about 2 years, the replacement unit (brand new, same model) was much brighter and more saturated looking than the remaining 2 old units.

If this is going to happen with the CCRs, then it might make sense to buy all that you will need in one purchase, and add a few extras. Then, each year, make sure you rotate through them, so they "wear" evenly and you don't have a big color delta when it comes time to replace a CCR.

Yikes, that could be expensive...

D.T.

In my case, this wasn't the situation. Other than a hr or so of testing, the older CCrs have not been used.

I was wrong about one item in my orginal post. Of the 5 CCRs I purchased in March...one of them is just as bright as th newest one I just recieved. So this tells me that the other 4 has a flaw with the Red being 20% dimmer....or an older batch that are just this way.

jimswinder wrote:

Cracker wrote:

Have you contacted LOR...would be interesting to hear what they have to say about it...

http://lightorama.com/support/

I opened up a tkt with them 2 days ago....I havent heard back. What is the usually turn around time to get a reply back? It is the busy season.

Cracker wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
Cracker wrote:
Have you contacted LOR...would be interesting to hear what they have to say about it...

I opened up a tkt with them 2 days ago....I havent heard back. What is the usually turn around time to get a reply back? It is the busy season.

I just did a ticket on one of my CCR's also and it took about two days to get a reply...

jimswinder wrote:

I'd be curious to hear the response also.

I'll be getting some CCRs hooked up in the next week or two. I have one from last summer and four that I just purchased at the sale. I'll be sure to use the old one in the mix so I can see if I notice an issue.

Edit: I see I missed a couple posts by the time I responded.

I just added a new one and it seems to me that the colors are indeed different than the ones I've had since 2009. I first noticed it on white - the new one seems to have a pinker-looking white. (Given my well-documented color challenges I'm waiting for an opportunity th have Sharon to confirm this.) But it's definitely a different color.

George Simmons wrote:

I just added a new one and it seems to me that the colors are indeed different than the ones I've had since 2009. I first noticed it on white - the new one seems to have a pinker-looking white. (Given my well-documented color challenges I'm waiting for an opportunity th have Sharon to confirm this.) But it's definitely a different color.

I have noticed this exact same thing from different production runs of some other RGB strings, not related to LOR.

George Simmons wrote:

So its just not me....well, damn. I kinda hoping it was, so it would be chalked up to a defect rather than a production change.

Some of my other RGB strips (Not LOR) were slightly different too, but now match exact to the newer CCR. When I mix the colors, I only see the difference when using Red. Orange,Purple, Yellow, ect. When just using Green and Blue...no issues.

Cracker wrote:

George Simmons wrote:

So its just not me....well, damn. I kinda hoping it was, so it would be chalked up to a defect rather than a production change.

Some of my other RGB strips (Not LOR) were slightly different too, but now match exact to the newer CCR. When I mix the colors, I only see the difference when using Red. Orange,Purple, Yellow, ect. When just using Green and Blue...no issues.

Well there ya go........ Just use green and blue. Problem solved.:P;)

• 2 weeks later...

I got my one older CCR (summer 2010) mounted over the garage tonight. When I fired it up, my wife said "Oh look, purple and green". Noooo! It was supposed to be purple and orange.

The Color Fade tool chose Red 100%, Green 50%, Blue 0%. After some trial and error, I came up with Red 100%, Green 15% as the settings that created the best orange. Our siding is grey but I wouldn't have expected it to cause that drastic of an effect on the color.

The rest of the CCRs (that I'll hang tomorrow) are from the recent sale. I'll be very curious to see what they look like.

Well the green appearance in my purple / orange effect was my fault. I got my channels crossed when I was trying to do the every-other-channel effect. But the red is definitely more brilliant on the new CCRs.

The old one needs to go down to around 20% green to look somewhat orange. The new ones look great at Red 100%, Green 50%. I'm not sure if I'll bother sequencing that one CCR different or not. I might try to find a happy medium.

Placed my order on the 13th of September. Got an email the other day, 2 to 3 week before shipping. I can wait with no problems cause they are for next year anyway.

Thomas

I have a one year old ribbon and one from two weeks ago. I am cutting them in half and making 4 arches out of the two ribbons. I just got done building them and went out to test them all in a row. The new one has a brighter red as posted above. I ran one of my sequences and it is very noticeable. Oops. guess I should have checked before cutting. I just made sure they worked one at a time before the project. I will check again when it gets darker.

I was getting ready to start a thread when I saw this, but it looks like others have beat me to it. I will make do with what I have.

• The topic was locked