Light-O-Rama Forums

Something I've been working on.

Dan C

Just thought I'd share something I recently finish building.

I picked up some of those dripping retrofit lights at a end of season sale last year. But I was a little dissapointed to see they all dripped at the same time and speed.

So, I decided to use them in a different. I picked up some 3/16" steel rod and tried my hand at brazing. Turned out pretty good for my first try I think.

2011-07-30152643.jpg

I painted it white.

2011-08-02214626.jpg

Then I wired up some sockets very close together.
you can see the dripping lights too.

2011-08-02214615.jpg

12 or so wire ties later.

2011-08-04211821.jpg

And here is the result. (Not sure how to embed the video, sorry.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKrAphxTWpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• George Simmons

• Surfing4Dough

• Dan C

• Donny M. Carter

That looks great! Did you sequence them off and on in your demo or was it constantly on? I picked up some similar dripping sticks from Menards at the end of last season and they do begin to randomize after a few seconds.

Yep those are probably the same lights. I got those are menards too. And they do start to get a little out of timing after about 10 seconds for me.

If I unplug them for a second then plug them back in, they re-sync. However if I plug/unplug quickly they get very random. Might be a cool effect using the Twinkle effect.

I plan on only using these as an accent so I don't think they will ever be on for more than a second or two. I will have two others and they will all be on the same channel this year.

Dan,

I'm intrigued by using twinkle on them... I'd like to use them, in places, for up to 30 seconds and I've been concerned about the non-randomness.

If you're only using them for a couple of seconds maybe random is just the opposite of what you want, though. I can see, via your video, how they can be used to great effect.

If you don't mind, I'm gonna try my own version of a Dan-burst this weekend. But since I'm a non-brazer I'm gonna try pvc. I've got some smaller tubes from CDI (which are almost painfully slow and very synced - avoid them at ALL COSTS) and I'm thinking of trying one with the two kinds of tubes interspersed.

What a great idea and a creative solution to something you didn't like. That is great looking!

Hey Dan- that is great. I still want to see snow tubes used to make a fireworks ball. You are part way there.

Very cool..agree with the idea of using it as that occasional effect..

Thinking about how this design would look with the meteor tubes also http://www.minionsweb.com/osStore/preshow-led-meteor-tubes-5-piece-set-40-warm-white-p-689.html

Little bit different look than the bulbs like these, little more of a challenge since there is a controller and some extra cord...less hackable to get it to fit together.

So Dan..when will you have the web page up so we can place pre-orders?...:)

Thanks to everyone for the compliments!
George, by all means please try your version. I'd love to see the results.

So does this mean this will be forever known as the "Dan-Burst"? :P I've never had anything named after me before.

BrownOut- I though about making them 3 dimensional using 18 drips. I would simply need to braze 6 more legs onto each side. That would make an amazing firework! then at the end of each tip install a C7 bulb for color effect. The only reason I didn't do that is I've never done a 4th of July show (YET)! Plus I only bought 18 drips, and I want to have at least 3 Dan-Bursts!

Dan C wrote:

So does this mean this will be forever known as the "Dan-Burst"? :D

In that case, good thing your name is Dan..and not Dam..:):D:D:cool::cool::cool:

Ok, ok, its late on a Friday afternoon and its been a long week..its the best I can do.

Just got done brazing the other two Dan-Burst frames. Getting better at the brazing thing now that I've figured out how to get the correct flame. Before it seemed to take forever, like 5 minutes or so for the steel to heat up to glowing red. I had the heat down too low.

Now it only takes about 30 seconds and its glowing cherry red! Maybe that is too hot, too quick. IDK.

I suppose I should take a class on Brazing at the local community college or something. That would probably help. Either that or pay a professional a few cases of beer to teach me.

Dan C wrote:

So does this mean this will be forever known as the "Dan-Burst"? :) I've never had anything named after me before.

Well, it certainly should be - after all, you DID invent the durn thing did you not?

George Simmons wrote:

Dan C wrote:
So does this mean this will be forever known as the "Dan-Burst"? :( I've never had anything named after me before.

Well, it certainly should be - after all, you DID invent the durn thing did you not?

I think it might be patented on another website :D