Light-O-Rama Forums

Cutting and splicing and CCR...Oh My

coffeejunkie2011

Greetings Everyone,

I fully understand as well as all should, that cutting the CCR makes the warrenty NULL and VOID.

So with that being said; the application in which I'm using these CCRs requires 3 - 90 deg. corners plus a "jump-across"where the CCR will be laid flat. I don't seek a 90 deg. coupler though that would be most ideal, I simply see couplers connected by 2-3" of 22ga. wire. if not, it will take me a month minimun to do all the wire soliders.

On a potiental positive note... another company Elemental LED does provide a 3' wire coupler for their LED ribbon which I could use if the width is compatable with the CCR... if so I'll post the results...

any other suggesstions....

The CCRs are an intelligent RGB light strip. They have IC chips on them

Your best best is to cut them and solder your hook-up wire to them, then weatherproof your new connections.

I looked at the Elemental LED web site and the wire couplers. Not sure if their power and data lines are compatible with the CCRs

Of ccourse I didn't factor in the IC, now with this in mind, does the CCR have 4 or 5 tabs for feed? From the illustration it appears to be 4, if this is true and a compatible coupler cannot be located, I will have to manufacture what I need, for I am being pressed to install this yesterday while learning the complete facets of the softwares capabilities, the only thing at this moment which is buying me some time is the delay at the cabinet manufacturers. Over 50 display cabinets 6' tall 32" wide 15" deep. Each with its own CCR inside.

Not sure if these will work or not for your 90 Deg connectors.
I would assume it would if the thickness/width of the ccr would fit.

Their website is all flash run so I can't post a direct link to the product but here is their website.

http://www.superbrightleds.com

Here is the product id.
NFLS-4CS90(Right) and NFLS-4CSD(Left)

If you go to this page then click on the "See prices and buy" button. then scroll down you will see them.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2Fspecs%2FFLS-RGB.htm

Obviously this will only work if its 4 connectors :)

They also sell straight connectors too.
Hope that helps!

DAN C... this "superbrightleds" ... do the ribbons have the same control as the cosmic ribbons by lightorama... thought LOR had a monopoly on this... Info?

Thanks

If their connectors are not compatable, it appears that I may be able to manipulate a USB connector to do the trick and use heat shrink tubing to seal it in place.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, not sure what I am doing wrong but I am trying to extend my CCR as it is about 30 cm (1 foot) or 7 pixels too short for my garage. So I have cut one up and soldered it on to a complete one. I have gone into the hardware utility and told it that there are 2 end to end CCRs. However when I plug it in, the extra bit I added does not respond to any commands, The first additional pixel is dark and the next 6 just light up white.

I have done a quick seqeence and the original part of the CCR responds as expected, but no luck with the extra bit.

Any ideas?

Hi dpavisic
I had a similar problem last year when I was connecting CCRs end to end. I had 6 CCRs and was using them as 3 pairs. The first pair worked fine (as expected), but the second pair gave an all white second ribbon. This happened even when I swapped the second ribbon with another new ribbon. Discussion with John (at LOR) suggested there was a problem connecting through with the data or timing lines. I could see no bad connections or breaks in the circuits, but I ended up fixing my problem which appeared to be in the transmision of data through the last pixel on the first ribbon by swapping my ribbons around so the apparently bad pixel was then the last pixel in the second ribbon.

Note that in joining ribbons, there is a need to inject a second power source to the beginning of the 2nd ribbon as the circuit board tracks are not capable of carrying the full current needed for 2 full ribbons. I would expect this would not however be a problem when adding only a few extra pixels.

See previous discussion at http://forums.lightorama.com/forum89/22431.html and
http://forums.lightorama.com/view_topic.php?id=26347&forum_id=89&jump_to=242970#p242970

...Does each CCR take up a "Controller" slot on your licenses? I Currently have the Basic Plus but i need 3 controllers and 24 ft of CCR? Do I splice or can I use 2 CCR's on 1 controller slot?

Kegan Wyatt wrote:

...Does each CCR take up a "Controller" slot on your licenses? I Currently have the Basic Plus but i need 3 controllers and 24 ft of CCR? Do I splice or can I use 2 CCR's on 1 controller slot?

The license only pertains to the LOR software. Depending on which tier license you buy, you will be able to use a certain amount of controllers. For instance:

Basic = 2 controllers

Basic Plus = 4 controllers

Standard = 8 controllers

Advanced = unlimited controllers

More info on the different licenses here - http://store.lightorama.com/software1.html

MikeH

• The topic was locked