Light-O-Rama Forums

Coloring a ribbon

steve synek

Much of my display design centers around esthetics. So with that being said, I cut up one of my ribbons and want to color the ribbon brown or black instead of the white color. Here's a question for all you electronic guys- do you think if I used something like a magic marker to cover the white, would it have any deteriorating effects on the electronics? For clarification, I am talking about the ribbon itself, not the clear exterior cover. I think I can remove the ribbon from the cover and reinstall sections in the cover after coloring. I will not be coloring the square LED.

If I didn't live in the snow belt, I might have concerns about the heat and the color brown, but I don't think that is an issue.

What do you think?

Steve

So, let me ask this ...

Would anyone else be interested in a CCR with a black background, instead of a white one?

If it were an in-stock item, would you buy it?

Why not put a little piece of masking tape over each led and spray paint it.

I wander if you could expand the cover using air pressure and slide the strip in at the same time.

Thomas

This is what I would try. Rectangle tube just big enought for the strip to slip through. Insert this in one end and on the other end another rectangle tube with a slot for the wire to be pull. Also on this end would be your air source to inflate the clear cover using minimun air pressure. You don't want to burst the cover.

Thomas

Ok you guys……the following is said with laughter………to quote my wife……………You don’t listen!!!!! Don’t take offense at this -I appreciate your input. The question is will coloring the ribbon hurt the electronics?

Don……….yes I would buy a black ribbon.

Crackchecker………I really like the clear sleeve and would be afraid that over time, a coating on the sleeve would deteriorate. I personally like the idea of coloring the ribbon and protecting it with the sleeve.

Jeff…………I agree……it won’t be easy to remove and reinstall the ribbon, but I think I can do it. My cut sections will be 12 and 8 pixels. For sure, the pixels don’t slide in and out very easily. I was only brave enough to pull 3 of the 8 pixel string out of the sleeve and was able to work it back into the sleeve. Trying to get 12 pixels reinstalled is going to be a challenge.

Thomas……….The air idea is interesting, but I was thinking along the lines of being able to gently attach a “snake” to the ribbon and re-pull it through an open ended sleeve. I’m not sure I could come up with a method to seal both ends to hold air and move the ribbon at the same time….

Jeff.......Did you attach a wire to the ribbon to pull it back through the sleeve or were you not able to get a wire through the sleeve?

I have to go figure!!:)

Steve

I was able to get a 21 pixel ribbon back inside the sleeve.

I pushed the ribbon as far as I could (about 3 pixels). Then I would pinch the sleeve onto the end of the ribbon. With the ribbon pinched onto the end of the ribbon work you other hand down the sleeve stretching it futher down the ribbon. After you get it as far as you think you can. Pinch the sleeve end onto the ribbon and release the pinch at the end of the ribbon. The ribbon should slid futher into the sleeve.

Hope that is as clear as mud.

Can't help you on the coloring of the ribbon question. : )

Don,

I too would be interested in a CCR with a black ribbon. Haven't bought any yet, but have plans for them for next year and would much rather have a black ribbon than a white one for my application.

Aaron

Thanks Paul. That's music to my ears to hear you say you worked the ribbon back into the sleeve. 21 pixels is almost twice my needs. I understand the pinch stretch and slide.

Steve

I'd be for a black or darker color. I'd also like for the ccb to come with green wire. : )

Well, now that you're asking, I'd prefer a nice redwood colored strip, but black would be better than white... black tends to dissappear.

Yes, I'd buy them if they had them... but I think it will be too late... I might already have them if they are not out before the summer sale...

D.T.

just got used to programming my ccr's couldnt figure out what they said by channels 151-157 lol

Thanks Jeff. I will now plan on changing the color of the ribbon after I do my dissecting. Here is a picture of 1 pixels colored using a black magic marker. My project requires 48 pixels, so I was brave enough to try a two pixel sample on my cut off. I have been reluctant to try it on 12 pixels.

Steve

Attached files 249628=13550-IMG_0297.JPG

Jeff Millard wrote:

Don,

Yes... and yes.

Jeff

Okay, so I can't sit here and say that I could make this happen. However, I will discuss the feasibility with Dan to see if it can be added to the lineup (without affecting other products.)

• The topic was locked