Light-O-Rama Forums

where do i start?

dannyv6

Welcome to the addiction Danny!
you start by installing the software and learning how to sequence :) You will hit lots of bumps in the road, but if you try and post questions here, you'll get through them and be not have any issues.
This is where I started last year, http://www.lightorama.com/Documentation.html The using show time software presentations may be a bit outdated BUT it will give you a starting point on how to sequence.

Most importantly have fun!!!

Guest guest

dannyv6 wrote:

Well, I bought 4 controllers during the grab sale. I then purchased the software. Where do i start? How do i start?

Well that honestly depends on what you want to do, what Holidays you want to set up (I do Halloween and Christmas).

My best advice on getting a start is you should have downloaded the DEMO version of the software PRIOR to getting your controllers, this would have given you a better grasp of what you were/ARE in for.

It sounds like you waited and bought the controllers and didn't learn (install)the LOR DEMO software prior to buying your controllers? Am I presuming correctly here?

If so, the next best thing for you to do would be to DOWNLOAD SEQUENCES from the LOR Sequence site and other locations, locate the music for the sequence and play around with them to see how it all works.

Once you're familiar with the LOR Software (Sequence Editor) to create, edit and modify a sequence, then try creating a sequence from scratch.

Also plug in some lights to your controllers and watch what they do and how each effect works, using both incandescents and LED's if you have them, so when playing and learning to use the sequencer you can see what is really going on.

The animation window is nice, but it DOES NOT DO JUSTICE for effects such as SHIMMER. So aChristmas, Halloween LED/Incandescent light string, C7 bulb, any light you can plug in to watch what happens when the sequence playys.

NOTE: NO SEQUENCES CONTAIN THE MP3/MUSIC FILE! Those you have to supply yourself or purchase from places like Amazon.com or other sites that sell music, like CDBaby. Most songs can be had for $0.99¢ per song.

You WILL need to lcocate the music for any sequence you download to load into the sequence to see how it works, unless you purchased some that are pre-made with the music from a place like WOWLights or LOR, most do not, nor will not have the music file with them.

Here are a few places where you can download sequences to try and help you get a start on this:

LOR Sequences Downloads: (16 to hundreds of channels):

http://lightoramasequences.com/component/option,com_remository/Itemid,35/func,search//%22

My 48 Channel Sequences (2011 display/Halloween):

https://cid-7d6d47dfa1c635ae.office.live.com/browse.aspx/Halloween%20-%20LOR%20Sequences/Halloween%20Sequences/48%20Channel

My 80 Channel Halloween Sequences (Halloween 2010 Display):

https://cid-7d6d47dfa1c635ae.office.live.com/browse.aspx/Halloween%20-%20LOR%20Sequences/Halloween%20Sequences/80%20Channel

My 80 Channel Christmas Sequences (Christmas 2010):

https://cid-7d6d47dfa1c635ae.office.live.com/browse.aspx/Christmas%20-%20LOR%20Sequences%5E_Music%5E_Sound%20Effects/Christmas%20Sequences/80%20Channel

This is the best way to learn how to do a sequence by loading, editing and playing around with a pre-made sequence that others (like myself) have created. This is only my second year with LOR, my first, 2010 was my learning experience and I've even learned new things in 2011 I didn't know that has helped me to sequence better.

Once you get thsi down, then go out and buy a TON of extension cords, believe me you're going to need a LOT! My 80 channel display last year used over 1000+ extension cords (5 controllers = 80 channels). I've scaled back this year for 2011 because I'm in an apartment and only have a limited amount of room to put up a display. (3 controllers = 48 channels). My display this year has to fit in a 4' wide by about 40-60' long (haven't taken definite measurements yet, this is a rough guess) and has a dual tree in the center.

Any questions you know where to find us and ask!:)

There will always be someone here that can answer your question(s) or we try and find one if we don't know!

Thanks for the tips.
Well, a little history. I have been using the sounds of christmas controller for the last 2 years. I have all led lights and a bunch of extension cords. Looks really cool. However I cant leave well enough alone and dove head first into lightorama.
I have cases of lights on order due in august. I bought 1000' of spt2 cord and a bunch of connectors. Im making 4 leaping arches, a 15' mega tree and 12 mini trees.
I really know what its going to look like in my head, but now I need to put the pieces of the puzzle together.
I have been a lurker since november. lol.
Now im going to be asking questions. If all goes well someday I may be one answering questions. Bear with me please.
Thanks
Dan

Guest guest

Sounds Great Dan!

Just remember, we're all here for you if you need any help, advice or answers.

Someone, somewhere will have an answer, although sometimes they don't come as soon as we'd like them too.:)

Best of luck on getting it all together! We'll all be looking forward to youir videos of your display!

Guest guest

dannyv6 wrote:

Here is another quick question. Do I need an converter to go from my computer to the first controller? If so which one should i get.

Did you buy a USB485 adapter? You will definitely need one of these to go from your computer to the 1st controller via Cat5 cable, otherwise you have no way to run the show from your show computer.

I recommend getting the USB485B as it has a booster in it to help with power to control an item like an LOR DC-MP3 Showtime Director, E-Z Light Linkers(wireless control) or with long runs of cat5 as well as other things See the item description at the url below for more details.

This is the one I'd recommend it, has a power booster and 2 cat5 cable connections (and the one I purchased and use):

http://store.lightorama.com/uscoadwivobo.html

Data Sheet for it can be found here:

http://www.lightorama.com/Documents/RS485_Adapters.pdf

dannyv6 wrote:

Well, I bought 4 controllers during the grab sale. I then purchased the software. Where do i start? How do i start?

It may be best to sell what you have already purchased and slowly back away. : )

Guest guest

Paul Roberson wrote:

dannyv6 wrote:

It may be best to sell what you have already purchased and slowly back away. : )

I tried that but the controllers, DC-MP3 Showtime Director and everything else just wouldn't have it. They insisted they were ALL going to stay put and convert me into a hermit, and then have me succumb to their every beck and call during every waking moment of my life to sequence music for them to make lights go blinky blinky or shimmer shimmer!:P

So now I have no life, I am owned and slave to all these LOR products, blowmolds, light strings and anything else that can find its way into my displays.:shock:

[align=center]Once they got ya, THEY GOT YA![/align]
[align=center]THERE IS NO TURNING BACK NOW![/align]

Paul Roberson wrote:

It may be best to sell what you have already purchased and slowly back away.

The forum is littered with the remains of people who wish today that someone would have given them THAT advice back when... Beware, young grasshopper... this isn't for the squeamish.

Don't forget to search "YOU TUBE" for ANIMATED CHRISTMAS LIGHTS!!!!!

George Simmons wrote:

Paul Roberson wrote:
It may be best to sell what you have already purchased and slowly back away.

The forum is littered with the remains of people who wish today that someone would have given them THAT advice back when... Beware, young grasshopper... this isn't for the squeamish.

George that is funny and scary on so many levels.. I have a local co-workers husband that saw my show and just had to get into it himself.

I stoped by this last weekend to check on his progress. He had purchased the starter showtime pkg. He has lots and lots of plans and has even started a couple of sequences. When I say started, he has started programming a couple channels up to about the miniute mark on each song and stopped. I have given him some of my sequences and lots of my advice to help move him along but I can tell at this point in time his head is spinning.

I am in the middle of doubling up my channels myself, but I have a feeling when it comes down to crunch time I'll be spending it up at his place trying to get his show running.

Oh... and to add to the list of things you'll be needing..

# FM transmitter.
# Possibly a FM transmitter antenna.
# More extention cords or spt1 and ends.
# TIME and lots of it.....

crackchecker wrote:

Oh... and to add to the list of things you'll be needing..

# FM transmitter.
# Possibly a FM transmitter antenna.
# More extension cords or spt1 and ends.
# TIME and lots of it.....
and again, extension cords and lots of them. We only have one or two members that are able to get away with only a few. The rest of us aren't so lucky.

crackchecker wrote:

I am in the middle of doubling up my channels myself, but I have a feeling when it comes down to crunch time I'll be spending it up at his place trying to get his show running.

Sounds like there might be a future opportunity for a good buy on lightly used equipment.