Light-O-Rama Forums

Moisture In My Controllers

jimswinder

I have got a problem with moisture (I think) getting inside of my enclosures (and it hasn't even rained that hard yet!!) and causing a few of my boards to quit working.

Several times I have had to open up an enclosure (and each of my enclosures have 3 or 4 boards in them) and dry out the offending board with a hair dryer until the red LED status lights begins to flash again.

There is NO standing water inside the enclosure, but I can see a few droplets of water inside (condensation?)

What would be the best way to keep moisture out? The enclosures have a rubber gasket on the lid, though I did think about some how putting a thicker one on.

Should I drill some air holes in it to have some air circulate thru it.

A friend even suggested putting a product such as Damp Rid inside the enclosure.

Thoughts? Ideas??

Attached files 224016=12398-damp rid.jpg

you know, I came here looking for a solution for about the same problem. I don'thave all 4 blinking lights yet and I'm hoping it will. I brought it inside and I have a fan blowing on it right now. I guess I'll throw a little warmth at it and see what fly's!
My problem as I said is the 2 boards that have no led lit on them. I'm going to drill 2 small weep holes (about 1/8") and make sure the cabinet is sloping that way a smidgen!

Don Krasley wrote:

you know, I came here looking for a solution for about the same problem. I don'thave all 4 blinking lights yet and I'm hoping it will. I brought it inside and I have a fan blowing on it right now. I guess I'll throw a little warmth at it and see what fly's!
My problem as I said is the 2 boards that have no led lit on them. I'm going to drill 2 small weep holes (about 1/8") and make sure the cabinet is sloping that way a smidgen!

when I said

"and dry out the offending board with a hair dryer until the red LED status lights begins to flash again."

My LED lights were not on at all either when the unit was plugged in (and no CAT5 cable connected)...but had the hair dryer on them UNTIL they started blinking again, as I had brought them inside to dry them off...

My question is how air tight is your enclosure? If the controller enclosure is seal tight, then what ever moist air that is trapped in the enclosure when the door is close and then the cooling of the enclosure from being outside, will cause the moisture to condense.

Might be as simple as providing some ventilation openings on the bottom of the enclosure will suffice to correct your problem.

Chuck

cmoore60 wrote:

My question is how air tight is your enclosure? If the controller enclosure is seal tight, then what ever moist air that is trapped in the enclosure when the door is close and then the cooling of the enclosure from being outside, will cause the moisture to condense.

Might be as simple as providing some ventilation openings on the bottom of the enclosure will suffice to correct your problem.

Chuck

I can't believe it is "seal tight" as I have 48 to 64 SPT2 cords going into it...and they are only going thru strain relief type nuts/openings.

But if you think air holes would help..I will do it. My concern would the holes allow MORE moisture in (via rain).

Attached files 224133=12404-Enclosure 4.jpg

I choose to use a metal enclosure for my controllers. All of my boxes have a chase nipple installed for the entrance of my network cables. So far I have not had any issues with water or moisture causing a problem. You mentioned that you have all the spt going thru strain reliefs. However, just how much free space is around those wires? Very little.

These are just my thoughts. Others might have other ideas.

Chuck

Hey Jim,
All of my LOR boxes metal, and plastic, have a hole in the bottom for network cables. it's about 3/4". as long as you mount the box so all the wires are facing down, and maybe don't mount them directly over a sprinkler. You should be fine with a hole in the bottom. The only problem is some had beetles crawling in and shorting out the board.
Good luck, and I hope you can get your "Mega Pole" back up.
at your age it gets more difficult every year...

Jim there were some posts a few years back about people using silica packets like you find in new product boxes.

With that many boards in one enclosure are you condensing due to all the heat.

Heat will only make water evaporate not condense unless you change the atmospheric pressure which would change the condensing temp. but thats all to much physics...... at normal everyday pressures the heat will help not hurt, its the cold that will make the water vapor condense.

Hey Jim,

First are you going to let rstately get away with that swipe at your age?

Ok, to the subject. Jim are you leaving your controllers powered up 24/7? If not, start! it will help keep the moisture to a min and as pointed out help keep it from condensing.

Max-Paul wrote:

Hey Jim,

Hey, It's been three days!:D

Max-Paul wrote:

Hey Jim,

**yes..I was taught to respect my elders!! :P

Ok, to the subject. Jim are you leaving your controllers powered up 24/7? If not, start! it will help keep the moisture to a min and as pointed out help keep it from condensing.

**I had powered them down the night before they quit working since I did not have my shows scheduled yet, but starting last night they wil remain powered up. When I got home tonight, all was working so maybe it has resolved itself.**

As far as rebuilding my Weber Tree...I might try something this weekend, though it will be QUITE a bit smaller...only 8' compared to the original 20' one.

rstately wrote:

Who wrote in there profile, "size DOES matter" ?

Oh, that was Jim, well I say go for it. 8' - 20', on video who will know?:P

OMG...are you stalking me!?!?!?

jimswinder wrote:

rstately wrote:

this is starting to sound like one of those west coast things.

well my dilemma is solved for now. I have 4 red LED's glowing, computer and controllers speaking to one another and I tested 64 circuits and have power to all of them.
My problem is more the location it was in. I used a Hoffman can and watertight connectors. I thought all was fine. Then I had a "glitch"" show up. The lights would flash for no reason even without the cat5 patched in. I needed to recess this in the ground for it to work right and not be in the show. I dug a hole and made it deeper in case it did get some water in the hole so it had some room. Then I blocked it up about 6 inches, put a tarp over the blocking and tossed the can on top. I can only guess it was caused by the ground being warmer. I had a small amount of condensation water that seems like it accumulated over a few days, in the bottom of the can. There was no water inside the tarp other than some more condensation. I had a bad feeling doing that and now I removed it from the ground and it's hanging in the garage for the night. I have a nice stand already made up to mount the controllers. Hopefully it will be a breeze!

Attached files 224264=12410-2010-11-19 14.22.17.jpg

jimswinder wrote:

rstately wrote:

Oh, that was Jim, well I say go for it.  8' - 20', on video who will know?:)

If I was going to stalk someone, It would be someone Interesting.:P
I just want to take your mind off your loss...

Max-Paul wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
rstately wrote:

this is starting to sound like one of those west coast things.

Well yeah...

If it was a Missouri thing, then we would be cousins and it would be okay...

Don Krasley wrote:

well my dilemma is solved for now. I have 4 red LED's glowing, computer and controllers speaking to one another and I tested 64 circuits and have power to all of them.

I LIKE the looks of your enclosure!!!

What size is it? (yes rstately, in this case SIZE does matter!!) LOL

jimswinder wrote:

I LIKE the looks of your enclosure!!!

it's a 16"X12". it's like 10 pounds of chips in a 5 pound bag but I used the space the best I could