Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR has an Arch controller?

TJ Hvasta

I was looking around eBay just now and found these... When did LOR build Arch controllers?? The LOR website doesnt have this one on it, I do not see this one anywhere..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Leaping-Arch-Controller-Light-O-Rama-/280585733354?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41543684ea

The guys local in PHX, the price seems comensurate with other AC or DC cards..

Attached files 218426=12135-LORArchController.jpg

I can also almost guarantee that this is not made by lor. the first clue is dan has always put "alex" in the top left of all of the controllers he has ever made as an honor to his son

And if you read the description carefully, he says ...

The 8 Channel Controller was designed to be either a stand-alone light controller for arches or 8 other small lighting displays or used in conjunction with a Light-O-Rama (LOR) or like light controller. I liked the effect of the arches but didn’t want to use up ¼ of my Light-O-Rama (LOR) computing power to control my 8 arches

yeah, just looking at the board I could tell it was not up to LOR construction standards.. So it looks like its a general programmed 8 channel controller that doesnt really control. The one real LOR channel turns this boards channels on/off..

If I were Dan, I'd write the guy and tell him he's treading on copyright infringement using the LOR name. No where do I see him say it is not built by LOR..

Hummmm

No we do not have a arch controller.... Probably should be more careful about putting the TM on Light-O-Rama ....

Anyway not a Light-O-Rama product and yes it seems it would be a Trade Mark infringement to use our name...

Dan

I didnt think so.. I check the LOR products fairly often to see whats new, so this was a surprise.. :shock:

Dan, I'd probably send off a note from, say... oh.. the law offices of Dewey, Cheatum & Howe, and say, uh, you've got 24hrs to remove the LOR name or any reference to LOR from any and all auction pages.. :X

Couldn't resist, sent him an email, asking about his device, and if it is "actually made by those guys at Light O Rama".

Will post the response.

He definitely does like using the LOR name..he sold these last year, liked dropping the LOR name with the arch device and other items also..just check his feedback.

I have to say, that is quite the gamble. In the description he says it is to be used in conjunction with LOR but I have to say, to design that and just put it on eBay is really a mistake. I smell lawsuit coming really quickly.

Dan...sue him...hahahahaha;)

So here's his responses via email and personal email..no surprise.

no, it's my design.

style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: arial,sans-serif; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);"I have 2 degrees in electronics and designed this
unit and minufacture. I have several LOR's and
didn't want to dedicate that many channels to run
8 arches. If you have any other questions please
call at 602-XXX-XXXX.

Dan, I forwarded the emails with his name and phone number in case you were wanting to have a friendly chat...

DonFL wrote:

And now, suddenly, any reference to LOR is disappearing from his auction descriptions...;)

I would say either they were contacted by LOR of they are actually reading this thread.:shock:

Just want to point out to any vendors reading any of this thread or the LOR forums for that matter. See what LORs amazing customer service has gotten them......LORs customers actually looking out for LORs interest.:)

Good job guys!!

I noticed the board does not have a data input connector.

Looks like a standalone pre-sequenced device only.

He says "it can be programed" but never states how, although I suspect he considers it "programed" when its controlled by another controller for on/off.

While I am without question against him refferencing the LOR name, there is nothing wrong with him making a batch of boards and selling his stuff.

Its just a PCB with a PIC and some TRIACS. I'm sure it makes a nice looking arch for someone that doesnt have time or knoledge to mess with everything else.

Nothing wrong with the guy selling his stuff - As long as he steers clear of the LOR name and protocol.

gizmomkr wrote:

He says "it can be programed" but never states how, although I suspect he considers it "programed" when its controlled by another controller for on/off.

While I am without question against him refferencing the LOR name, there is nothing wrong with him making a batch of boards and selling his stuff.

Its just a PCB with a PIC and some TRIACS. I'm sure it makes a nice looking arch for someone that doesnt have time or knoledge to mess with everything else.

Nothing wrong with the guy selling his stuff - As long as he steers clear of the LOR name and protocol.

Agreed...and he has done that on his auctions. They don't look like they are gathering a lot of attention.

I asked him for a copy of his "assembly directions", will share them when/if he sends them.

After seeing this thread we sent a question to the guy about using our name. He replied that he did not know it would be a issue and would remove reference...

Seems like a nice person ...

Thanks
Dan

Alan C wrote:

All references to Light-O-Rama appear to have gone now, apart from the one in the address bar . . . .

Regards,

Alan.

I'm guessing that's not something he can change. The URL probably comes from the original posting.