Light-O-Rama Forums

September's almost gone........ We want LOR 2, We want LOR 2!

Guest guest

Back to the OP, am I the only one who would probably want to run LOR I anyway? Or am I just I nuts? Reason being that I know everything I have now is going to work under LOR I, because I've tested it all -- not without some anxious moments.

My worst fear goes something like this -- LOR II comes out in October... I'll be afraid to use it ... some of the guys I most respect here will think less of me for not immediately upgrading to such an improvement ... I'll lose respect for myself, start drinking, and get disowned by my wife and kids. Pretty soon I've lost everything and basically living out of a dumpster which I try to brighten up with a rather poor static display of one discarded, defective light string I've found. Once knowing the glory of LOR I realize on Christmas Eve while staring at my mangy light string that I no longer have a reason to live, and ... well, let's just say that Dan could save the life of at least one technically-deficient decorator wannabe if he would just hang onto the release until, say, early November or later. ;)

My worst fear goes something like this -- LOR II comes out in October... I'll be afraid to use it ... some of the guys I most respect here will think less of me for not immediately upgrading to such an improvement ... I'll lose respect for myself, start drinking, and get disowned by my wife and kids. Pretty soon I've lost everything and basically living out of a dumpster which I try to brighten up with a rather poor static display of one discarded, defective light string I've found. Once knowing the glory of LOR I realize on Christmas Eve while staring at my mangy light string that I no longer have a reason to live, and ... well, let's just say that Dan could save the life of at least one technically-deficient decorator wannabe if he would just hang onto the release until, say, early November or later.

Well, look at it this way...if you end up "Living in a Van, Down by the River!", you can always jump over to the Water Displays forum. http://planetchristmas.mywowbb.com/forum62/ ;)

(There's some cool stuff there, by the way)

tfischer wrote:

I can't, of course, speak for Dan, but if I was in charge, I probably wouldn't make it real convenient for folks to go buy the competition's product instead of my own.

Dan's a nice guy, but you folks are basically doing the equivalant of walking into Target and asking them to help you place an order at Wal-Mart.com...

I think everyone should expect the worst case: That LOR II will be incompatible with D-Light II (or whatever the new standard is called over there). This may not be true, either short or long term, but don't expect compatibility, and don't expect Dan or anyone at LOR to comment on unreleased products.

To be fair, I think the "LOR vs D-Light" discussions belong in the generic "Synchronizing Light Shows" forum. Let's keep the LOR forum about LOR, and the D-Lite forum about D-Lite, just like we have learned to keep AL and LOR separate. Even though LOR and D-Light are similar and compatable now, they are competing products, and we need to show each company due respect. Both Dan and Darryl (and Dick) are good people and deserve such respect.

-Tim

Oh, now I feel bad that I made an "LOR vs. AL" in the LOR forum...sorry everyone, LOR, and PC. :{

Dave Sanderson wrote:

Back to the OP, am I the only one who would probably want to run LOR I anyway? Or am I just I nuts? Reason being that I know everything I have now is going to work under LOR I, because I've tested it all -- not without some anxious moments.

My worst fear goes something like this -- LOR II comes out in October... I'll be afraid to use it ... some of the guys I most respect here will think less of me for not immediately upgrading to such an improvement ... I'll lose respect for myself, start drinking, and get disowned by my wife and kids. Pretty soon I've lost everything and basically living out of a dumpster which I try to brighten up with a rather poor static display of one discarded, defective light string I've found. Once knowing the glory of LOR I realize on Christmas Eve while staring at my mangy light string that I no longer have a reason to live, and ... well, let's just say that Dan could save the life of at least one technically-deficient decorator wannabe if he would just hang onto the release until, say, early November or later. ;)

You're not nuts. I'm sure quite a few people will wait until after the season for "insurance" purposes.

Dave Sanderson wrote:

Use what you're comfortable with. Unless LOR II comes out in the next week or two, I'll probably not be using it this season anyway. Why? For the reasons you point out (LOR I is tried, true, and works), and also, most of what I"m waiting for LOR II for is for sequencing improvements. If LOR II comes out November 30th, then I'm not going to be sequencing with it this season... LOR I's show controller software works just peachy, so if I don't get the sequencer this year, there's really no need for me to switch. There's always next season...

-Tim

I think all sorts of people want something different out of LOR II. Myself, I want new lighting effects. Things that might be able to be done in the sequencer if you do a great deal of work, but ultimately, probably belong as a unique lighting control.

With everyone wanting something different from LOR II, I have included an artist's rendition of LOR II in action!

Attached files 71099=4355-lorII.jpg

dtrammell wrote:

You forgot the garbage disposal.

And the toilet paper (sorry...the door was open, I just had to step in):)

If it comes out in time, I'll probably work something out on it, just to try it out even if it's mid-season or later. Right now I'm somewhat stopped on programming though because I somehow got a virus on my new computer, so I'm combatting that, and doing all of my important stuff (not including LOR programming) on whatever computer I can get to when that's not mine. Hopefully tonight I can get that taken care of.

LightORama wrote:

I want LOR II also! We have not been giving dates for the release of the software. We hope to make an announcement soon.

LOL, Dan don't feel to much pressure. I know that I for one most likely wont even use the LOR II this year just because I know the LOR I works fine for me this year and I worry too much about a bug that wont be caught in time anyways. Dont need to fix what isn't broken this year. Will hope to use it for 07' thou. I think you may find a lot of others feeling the same way.

JR V wrote:

LOL, Dan don't feel to much pressure. I know that I for one most likely wont even use the LOR II this year just because I know the LOR I works fine for me this year and I worry too much about a bug that wont be caught in time anyways. Dont need to fix what isn't broken this year. Will hope to use it for 07' thou. I think you may find a lot of others feeling the same way.

Theres only so much testing that can be done in the office, so they rely on real world test. If everyone echos what you are saying then in 07 it will still be new software. I would just rather use it and see what happens.

Theres still a few bugs in LOR1, so you never get out all the bugs.

Just my 2cents.

Roman

LightORama wrote:

I want LOR II also! We have not been giving dates for the release of the software. We hope to make an announcement soon.

Ha ha! I was waiting to see how long it took Dan to jump in on this one. He's probably been sitting there going "Oh boy, here we go again!"

LightORama wrote:

Don't you guys be confusing me now! I am still trying to finish my first show of 48 channels! I have 6 more songs to go, and your talking about new software - "My head is exploding - my mouth tastes like a pickle - I step on a skate and fall on a tricycle"... :laughing:

I can't wait to see that song done - it was my dads most favorite Christmas song!

Papa

Tom B. wrote:

John,

I just saw your avatar ... I'm sitting here with a big stupid grin on my face ... thanks that's funny!

T.

One of my favorite movies. My wife dreads the 24hr marathon they play every year on tv!

"F R A G I L E"... must be Italian!