Light-O-Rama Forums

When Do You Start Setting Up Your Display?

crabtreechristmas

Probably won't get any sympathy out of this group, but I have to wait to end of November, cause sometimes I am still cutting grass even in to December.

The price I have to pay to live in Florida.

;)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PaulXmas

• rgardner518

• KenL_MCSE

• Bob Wingert

Last year I had 16 channels and started Thanksgiving week after work. This year I have 96 Channels and decided to take Thanksgiving week off and try to knock everything out in a week. Come to think of it, I need to start the week of November 14th.

Our neighborhood has a Christmas Tree lighting extravaganza the Sunday after Thanksgiving and I am planning an unveiling of my own the same day.

Now, back to sequencing :P

For some of us it is a matter of what the wife will allow. I have been doing the display thing for a long time and we have come to an understanding. I can put stuff out when ever I like I just can not light it up until Thanksgiving eve.

The weather in Southeastern Utah can vary from year to year. I do like to get the roof work done and ladder work done after Halloween / the first week of November. I am not a fan of being cold. Ground displays I will put out the 3 week of November. It all just depends on my work schedule and the expectations of my wife's projects that she expects me to help her with.

I have done some really big Halloween displays in the past but I do not think that I will have to time to do as much this year. I will recycle some props and hook up some lights and maybe to talking face this year. Sorry Halloween kids I just do not have the time this year.

Ok so call me crazy. I only have about 1 hour per night after work. I work 7 days a week and have a busy schedule like alot of others and some times my wife and kids will have other plans for me. I actually just started hanging lights last night. I know it was not even September yet. I am short a few extension cords and need my display set up so I can show the wife what I need. This is my first year with an animated display using LOR. I used Mr. Christmas in tha past but only had 12 channels. I am starting this year with 48 and bought all the cords my local stores had after Christmas but still need about 700-1000 ft. I really am trying to see my options as far as spt wire or store made. After I get set up I will see how close to pre-made length or if I will buy a 1000 ft spool.

I had hoped to purchase a couple of new controllers this year to add to my display. However life gets in the way. My son has been in and out of the hospital all summer and all of my spare cash is now history.

Maybe next year I can expand. Oh well at least I can always come up with some new sequences if I can find the time to sequence some new songs.

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

I started today!

WOW!
For Christmas or Halloween? Guessing you've got a pretty large display going on this year?

pokrplr wrote:

ny_yankee_25 wrote:
I started today!

WOW!
For Christmas or Halloween? Guessing you've got a pretty large display going on this year?

Christmas! Its a small 64 channel display. But I'm switch for incadesent to retro led bulbs. So As I'm installing them, I'm changing bulbs. The extension cords do go out until later this month.

It takes time, time and more time. Last year with 18 controlllers boxes I started the day after halloween. I took two weeks off work and it took every day and them some from morning to night. I had help with only a couple arrangements, the rest I did. Hopefully this year with things I did it will save lots of time. Most everything is connected to PVC tubing, a few screws and its up! Walah! No staples, or very few this year. Well, Good luck to all, Happy Lighting!

Attached files 210842=11760-Carlo 1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Today,:(
This is my first year with lor I'm having a hard time visualizing how it is all going to happen, so I'm allowing time for lots of changes / redesigns/ issues.
Usually we have a white Halloween and the ground is frozen by the second week in November so I try and have everything staked in the ground and tied in 3 places with fishing line by the weekend after Halloween.

I didn't want to be the 1st on my street...But today, another neighbor started Halloween!!! WAHOO! Its ON now... Next weekend it goes up :)

My 1st year, my 1st display! Cant wait!! Like a fat kid in a candy store, I'm soooo excited :P

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

I have my Christmas display 1/4 of the way up! Hope to have them 1/2 to 3/4s the way done by the end of the week!

Watcha gona do when its all up and its only Oct 3rd? Flippin' the switch :shock: ??

pokrplr wrote:

ny_yankee_25 wrote:
I have my Christmas display 1/4 of the way up! Hope to have them 1/2 to 3/4s the way done by the end of the week!

Watcha gona do when its all up and its only Oct 3rd? Flippin' the switch :shock: ??

When I'm all done, Ill start checking number channel config, and getting my show ready to go. I'll test the lights one night or two to make sure everything's working write. I don't have the space to do it inside. And with me going from 32 channels last year to 64 this year, I added alot, and upgraded even more. I switched all of my c9's to retro led c9's and added 18 strobes, plus 3 8 channel arches. Plus more blow molds. I also have a new FM sign i need to double check. Halloween night the Christmas music will start on my FM channel, until the show starts on black Friday. Plus my quad montor, main-frame computer was switched from itel to amd. And i'm not happy with the outcome so I'll have more time to switch it back, if need be. Plus I plan on running 4 to 6 30 min shows, compaired to the 1, 30 min show I did from last year. I Also made ALOT of gig's to hold all of my display items. I live in a heavily rocky area. So its hard, and next to impossible to hammer things into the ground. I had my work cut out for my this year. Plus I lost my job, right after the lor sale event! Things have not been easy! So I figured its better to start early. Specially since there are alot more eyes looking forward to this year!

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

WOW when are you going to turn on your light?
I don't start mine until Halloween and lights on 1st week of Dec.

I am hoping to get some Halloween stuff out the first week of October. The first weekend of November I will take down Halloween and start the Christmas stuff. Lights go on Thanksgiving night.

I start my light show with a wide mix of music and as it gets closer to Christmas my music list gets more traditional in the Christmas mix of music.

My first year with LOR I would have turned my Christmas lights on before Halloween if the wife would have let me. LOL ;)

Life and other commitments have slowed me down some. My wife has several different business now and she likes to keep me busy not to mention my job keeps me busy working 80 hours a week these days.

I was driving home through our mega huge community of 5000 residents and noticed that there were multiple homes that had set out their Halloween decorations.

I have gotten enough flack about putting things out early that I have wanted to wait until it was at least October. Well guess what others have already done it so I will not be the first. I am going to start putting my Halloween out this weekend. Yea! :dude:

Attached files 212490=11853-DSCF1093.JPG