Light-O-Rama Forums

CCR Fun

George Simmons

Here's something I just sit and watch over and over when I get bored or when I get a case of sequencer's block. It's gonna be a shame to take it out of the box and actually use it somewhere...

http://vimeo.com/13959261

Very nice George. That give me hope sequencing mine for this year :D Looking forward to your shows this year.

Thax
Joe

shfr26 wrote:

That maybe a new element idea for you!

OK buy 20 CCR's and make a arch with the coils.

Would not that be awesome? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Shubb wrote:

Maybe LOR should start shipping them in a see-through box with a little kick-stand and it is ready to go!!

That would be slick... I'm working on creating a spiral device and if I ever get it show-ready I'll post a video. These things are a lot of fun to play with. I don't want to say that the possibilities are endless, but there's sure a lot of possible directions one can go.

George;

How does the brightness of the CCR change when looked at from edge on vs. flat?

The reason I ask is the bending radius changes from 3' to 3" depending on which way you are bending it. Seems you would have to have the edge facing out to make a spiral with a 3" diameter curve in the center.

Also can you twist the CCR 90 degrees without damage? for example; making 2 arches from one CCR. So at the end of the 1st arch twist the CCR 90 degrees to allow the 3" radius curve, then twist it back to mount on the second arch. However if the brightness doesn't change much I could just mount the lights edge on and never have to twist 90 degrees. Mounting the CCR on edge would allow 2 CCRs on a single arch; 1 on top of the pipe, the other on the bottom. I was thinking of some interesting patterns with 2 CCRs on the same arch.

Bruce

When viewed on edge, the CCR definitely isn't as bright as when viewed flat. But it is so bright in the first place that on edge it still looks about as bright as ordinary LED lights sets. I'm unsure how much twisting it would survive and I'm not keen on finding out with one of my own. But as to the 3" radius (or diameter) rule for wrapping, they're wound down to about the size of a quarter when they arrive, so I'm not sure how accurate that 3" limit really is. I guess I'd find it a bit more believable if they arrived wound only as tightly as the "recommended" size in the first place. Kind of like seeing a curve posted for 40 MPH when you know for a fact you can take it easily at 60...

George Simmons wrote:

Here's something I just sit and watch over and over when I get bored or when I get a case of sequencer's block. It's gonna be a shame to take it out of the box and actually use it somewhere...

http://vimeo.com/13959261

George -

That really IS fun to watch. I have one in the box, just like yours :D. After seeing yours, i was thinking that if I were to open the spiral up bit, to perhaps 20" (or the size of your favorite window wreath) and you have a great little addition to you display!

D.T.

PS - Just got mine out to try it... It has a lot of potential... Now I just need 3 more of them... hmmm, and the sale's over...

I think everybody tries them out when they first get them coiled up in the box.

BUT you really should not run them too long coiled up as shipped.

The CCR produce quite a bit of heat like that and it does not dispate well coiled up.

Wrapping it at 3" separated from itself allows the ribbon to air cool.

No macros were used. I'm one of those folks who haven't yet figured out how to make them work.

• The topic was locked